Moving feet outward on pedals

Old March 14th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Moving feet outward on pedals

After reading the thread on Rivendell bike fit, I tried riding the
trainer unclipped, and found that my right foot likes to be about 6mm
further out from the crank than I can get it with cleat adjustment
(spd). Do other brands of pedals have more lateral adjustment, or a
longer spindle than the spd?

Bill

Old March 14th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Fixed

schreef in bericht
ups.com...
After reading the thread on Rivendell bike fit, I tried riding the
trainer unclipped, and found that my right foot likes to be about 6mm
further out from the crank than I can get it with cleat adjustment
(spd). Do other brands of pedals have more lateral adjustment, or a
longer spindle than the spd?

Bill

Try kneesavers, it worked for me.

http://www.bikescor.com/product/knee.htm

Taeke

Old March 14th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 14, 12:19 pm, "Fixed" wrote:
schreef in oglegroups.com...

Try kneesavers, it worked for me.

http://www.bikescor.com/product/knee.htm

Taeke

I looked at their website, they offer 20, 25, and 30mm parts. Does
the 20mm kneesaver move the pedal out the full 20mm, or something less
than that? It's not clear to me from the pictures. I just need 6mm
or so.

Thanks for the tip,

Bill

Old March 14th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 14, 12:21 pm, Gary Young wrote:
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 08:26:36 -0700, wrote:
After reading the thread on Rivendell bike fit, I tried riding the
trainer unclipped, and found that my right foot likes to be about 6mm
further out from the crank than I can get it with cleat adjustment
(spd). Do other brands of pedals have more lateral adjustment, or a
longer spindle than the spd?

Bill

It would probably be easier (and less expensive) to use a bottom bracket
with a longer spindle. But I'm curious -- do you experience pain when
you're clipped in? If not, why bother with this? After all, spinning your
feet in circles is a pretty "unnatural" motion, but most of us adapt to
it just fine.

No, I don't have pain with the current setup, but it feels more
comfortable around my knee with my foot out a little more.

Bill

Old March 14th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 14, 7:24 pm, " wrote:
On Mar 14, 12:19 pm, "Fixed" wrote:

schreef in oglegroups.com...

Try kneesavers, it worked for me.

http://www.bikescor.com/product/knee.htm

Taeke

I looked at their website, they offer 20, 25, and 30mm parts. Does
the 20mm kneesaver move the pedal out the full 20mm, or something less
than that? It's not clear to me from the pictures. I just need 6mm
or so.

Thanks for the tip,

Bill

For only 6mm, I'd just try to find some other shoes or redrill my
current ones.

FWIW, I have my cleats all adjsuted all the way in so my feet can be
all the way out, and my SPD-SL (Ultegra) pedals allow for greater
crank clearance than my SPD mtb shoes.

Joseph

Old March 14th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 14, 10:26 am, " wrote:
After reading the thread on Rivendell bike fit, I tried riding the
trainer unclipped, and found that my right foot likes to be about 6mm
further out from the crank than I can get it with cleat adjustment
(spd). Do other brands of pedals have more lateral adjustment, or a
longer spindle than the spd?

Bill

Some pedals, Keywin for example and I think the high end Look CX7i
something or other, were available with different spindle lengths.
Might be others who have this option if you ask the right people.
Doubt normal bicycle stores would know anything. For a small outward
movement(1-3mm), you can put a washer or two between the pedal body/
shoulder of the pedal spindle and the crank arm. Do a search on pedal
washers and you will turn up something.

Moving a bed Danny Colyer UK 8 March 27th 06 11:14 PM
Need Wide Pedals for big feet help Techniques 7 February 7th 06 03:27 AM
Gliding to Riding, Getting feet back on pedals? Evan Byrne Unicycling 4 May 25th 05 09:52 PM
Getting your feet on the pedals after WWing tylercox Unicycling 9 January 18th 05 07:23 PM
"Man pedals world's tallest unicycle 28 feet at Silverdome" Ken Fuchs Unicycling 12 October 4th 04 12:05 AM