Obstructions

Old June 8th 07, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Obstructions

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 01:13:09 -0600, wrote:

Aha! Whining and complaining works!

Today, a great blue heron posed for me against the tasteful backdrop
of a brick outhouse, a dumpster, and a trash barrel:

http://i13.tinypic.com/62p5gk8.jpg

Then it flew off:

http://i8.tinypic.com/6gl6l28.jpg

An email asked me about the absurd water slide mentioned elsewhe

http://i10.tinypic.com/4xwp82e.jpg

That's what a water slide is, and that's how this one usually
looks--unused. Mostly, it serves to justify part of the maintenance
budget for the state park. A cheerful sign warns that the pond is
filled with untreated river water, a tactful method of warning
swimmers that they could get sick if they let any of that stuff get up
their noses.

The chain-link fence through which the picture was taken keeps out
beavers, which gnawed down the ornamental trees years ago. The fence
also stops softshell turtles, which I sometimes find on the path next
to the fence, imitating green manhole covers, baffled and furious
because they can't reach the sandy beach, which would be perfect for
laying eggs.

Later, I came across this fiend, lurking in one of the wooden
bird-boxes nailed to the cottonwoods:

http://i9.tinypic.com/637fyqf.jpg

Apologists for the creature may try to excuse it for gnawing that huge
hole in the bird box, but what can they say about this hideous debris
at the foot of the tree?

http://i8.tinypic.com/62h8bch.jpg

Yes, that's a nail sticking up from a board, a plank that has
obviously torn off the tree where it supported the lower part of the
bird house and thrown down by the squirrel to endanger passing bicycle
tires.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old June 8th 07, 07:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill

wrote:

[...]

Carl,
I'm in the need for a digital camera since I loaned one to my daughter
to take pictures at a party and guess what, she lost it.
Can you recommend any decent ones for pocket use or at least not to
break the bank. My old one was a whopping 1.3Mp Vivitar fixed focus but
did use rechargeable AA NiMH batteries and standard SD memory cards.
For all that matter does anyone have any camera ideas for a budget
camera that I won't cry about falling on??
Bill Baka
TIA
Old June 8th 07, 09:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 23:15:32 -0700, Bill wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Dear Bill,

Mine's a--uh, let's see . . . a Canon A530 with 4x optical. One
advantage was that it was just a step below the model that allowed you
to add expensive accessories

I buy 30 batteries for about ten bucks at Home Depot.

Its only mechanical failing is an occasional half-hearted effort to
open the protective lens shutter, either due to poor quality
(unlikely) or else a careless owner who carries and uses it in dusty
conditions (embarrassing).

It's ridiculously good at automatically taking good ordinary pictures
and can be forced to focus up close. Long hand-held shots with fading
afternoon light require either steadier hands or setting shorter
exposure times.

I'm resisting the urge to get a 10x with auto-stabilizer, figuring
that the increased zoom would just about offset the stabilizer, even
though the new toy would be fun.

Legions of RBT posters are hoping that I don't give in and plague them
even more. Slightly smaller legions have forgotten more about cameras
than I'll ever know.

The new issue of Consumer Reports reviews recent digital cameras and
is always a good place to start.

Gratuitous obstructions the windstorm Wednesday, starting with a
familiar creatu

http://i14.tinypic.com/6bv8tja.jpg

That was the only snake that stayed on the path long enough to be
photographed. There were several others, since no one else was fool
enough to ride in the high winds and the path was pleasantly deserted.
The wind was 25 to 45 mph where I was, with several trees blown down
across the path, but I expect that Peter Chisholm saw much worse up in
Boulder.

This little fellow (the males are smaller, as is common outside our
species) was marching stupidly up the road that climbs up the south
side of the Pueblo dam, sticking next to the yellow center line:

http://i18.tinypic.com/664uhoj.jpg

Normally, they cross roads instead of following them, but maybe he
wanted to head straight into the wind--which was what I was stupidly
doing, mashing away at 5 to 6 mph up into the wind. When I shooed him
off the pavement, he flipped in the wind (twice) and lay on his back
before reaching the grass.

Both pictures were just point and shoot.

For resizing and converting to other formats, the free IrfanView
program is good for Windows. I use it for converting the odd format
that the patent office prefers, which requires a plugin and which
takes forever to load--I figure that anyone curious enough to look at
whatever catches my bizarre fancy would be discouraged if they had to
download and install plugins and then wade through the patent office
tarpit.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old June 8th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill

Default Camers, was Obstructions

wrote:

Dear Bill,

Mine's a--uh, let's see . . . a Canon A530 with 4x optical. One
advantage was that it was just a step below the model that allowed you
to add expensive accessories

I buy 30 batteries for about ten bucks at Home Depot.

Its only mechanical failing is an occasional half-hearted effort to
open the protective lens shutter, either due to poor quality
(unlikely) or else a careless owner who carries and uses it in dusty
conditions (embarrassing).

It's ridiculously good at automatically taking good ordinary pictures
and can be forced to focus up close. Long hand-held shots with fading
afternoon light require either steadier hands or setting shorter
exposure times.

The Canon would be a step up for me and the 4x optical sounds good.
Those stupid digital zooms are a complete joke.

I'm resisting the urge to get a 10x with auto-stabilizer, figuring
that the increased zoom would just about offset the stabilizer, even
though the new toy would be fun.

If I could pick one up for about $300 I probably would would go for a
10x zoom, but now they are pushing 4Mp and up, even at a bottom end
store like Wal-mart. Even that is five times what will fill a computer
screen.

Legions of RBT posters are hoping that I don't give in and plague them
even more. Slightly smaller legions have forgotten more about cameras
than I'll ever know.

The new issue of Consumer Reports reviews recent digital cameras and
is always a good place to start.

Their reviews and my uses are really different points of view.
I'm avoiding proprietary Lithium Ion batteries since if one goes dead,
the replacement will kill you.

Gratuitous obstructions the windstorm Wednesday, starting with a
familiar creatu

http://i14.tinypic.com/6bv8tja.jpg

Good quick shot. We had a windstorm in sunny Ca. that had them putting
out tornado warnings. What they would call a tornado in California would
barely be a gust in the midwest.

That was the only snake that stayed on the path long enough to be
photographed. There were several others, since no one else was fool
enough to ride in the high winds and the path was pleasantly deserted.
The wind was 25 to 45 mph where I was, with several trees blown down
across the path, but I expect that Peter Chisholm saw much worse up in
Boulder.

Sort of what I encountered after the storm since I really did not want
to ride in it. I did go out for a run in the storm and nearly got blown
over a few times.

This little fellow (the males are smaller, as is common outside our
species) was marching stupidly up the road that climbs up the south
side of the Pueblo dam, sticking next to the yellow center line:

http://i18.tinypic.com/664uhoj.jpg

Normally, they cross roads instead of following them, but maybe he
wanted to head straight into the wind--which was what I was stupidly
doing, mashing away at 5 to 6 mph up into the wind. When I shooed him
off the pavement, he flipped in the wind (twice) and lay on his back
before reaching the grass.

Both pictures were just point and shoot.

Fast auto focus?

For resizing and converting to other formats, the free IrfanView
program is good for Windows. I use it for converting the odd format
that the patent office prefers, which requires a plugin and which
takes forever to load--I figure that anyone curious enough to look at
whatever catches my bizarre fancy would be discouraged if they had to
download and install plugins and then wade through the patent office
tarpit.

Are you talking MrSID? I have run into that on the Smithsonian site.
I'm using IrfanView now as my main viewer and some picture manipulation
but I got a free package with both my Visioneer and HP scanners.
I'll have to check out the patent sight a little more carefully because
I am working on some patent projects right now. (Energy related).
Bill Baka

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Old June 9th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Johnny Sunset

On Jun 3, 10:26 am, Tim McNamara wrote:
You have more interesting creatures in your neck of the woods than we do
here in the Twin Cities metro. Although in SE MN I have encountered 3
foot long rattlers out sunning themselves, and snappers along the river
and the backwaters. No big hairy spiders, though.

I have seen llamas, alpacas, camels, peafowl, ostriches, bison,
miniature donkeys, miniature horses and burros while riding in
Illinois, all kept as exotic pets or livestock.

Dogs are the main form of fauna that bicyclists encounter around here,
roaming about the countryside singly or in packs thanks to ignorant
owners who saw "Born Free" as children. Had to outsprint a boxer
yesterday. Riding on the other side of the river, I note that
Wisconsonites tend to be more responsible owners and keep their dogs
under control.

Loose dogs chasing the Holstein-Friesians are not considered
acceptable. However, I have had some unpleasant experiences with
Shepards (aka Alsatians) who think the public road is part of the
territory they need to guard.

Old June 9th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill

Johnny Sunset wrote:
[...]

If you get the chance to befriend them without getting bit they will
come up to you for a quick petting encounter. Most of the dogs on my
regular ride roads now know that I will stop and engage them in some
friendly interaction. Of course there are some hard cases that need a
2x4 upside the head, but they are rare. There is one pair that I ride by
and one comes up to get attention while the other hangs back and growls.
Some dogs are dense, some are not.
If you get the chance to dismount and put the bike between you and the
dog, my experience is that they will think twice when you are staring
them down.
Patience usually wins.
I've only been bitten once and that was a complete ambush, but animal
control made that one go away for keeps.
There is a leash/yard law in California but nobody obeys that particular
law.
Happy (unbitten) trails.
Bill Baka
Old June 10th 07, 08:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 01:13:09 -0600, wrote:

[snip]

Another great blue heron decided to tease me, flapping off and then
perching on a distant juniper across a deep gully:

http://i9.tinypic.com/62f7gpv.jpg

Silly bird looks like a misplaced weathervane.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old June 10th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill

wrote:

[snip]

Another great blue heron decided to tease me, flapping off and then
perching on a distant juniper across a deep gully:

http://i9.tinypic.com/62f7gpv.jpg

Silly bird looks like a misplaced weathervane.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

I've managed to scare a few, while riding on pavement, and they look
like a small plane taking off. We have rice fields next to the road
where I'm at.
Bill Baka
Old June 11th 07, 05:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 01:13:09 -0600, wrote:

[snip]

This was as close as I expected to get to a great blue heron today:

http://i8.tinypic.com/4pniy5g.jpg

You need binoculars to see that's a great blue heron out on its nest
in the dead tree in the middle of the reservoir.

On top of another bluff, I was annoyed by a great blue heron that
flapped away into the deep gully below us. I hadn't noticed it
perching right below me on the steep slope.

It landed on a tree far down the slope, so I dug my camera out to take
a picture, but it flew off again before I was ready.

"Drat!" I said, or words to that effect, and put the camera away.

As soon as I had everything zipped up, two more great blue herons
flapped away from where they had been perching right below me, just
out of sight on the steep slope and even nearer than the first bird.

"Bother!" I said, or perhaps a slightly different phrase, one that
Christopher Robin took care not to let Winnie the Pooh hear. I hate
being mocked by these large birds.

They both flew off out of sight.

I was about to leave when a juniper tree just below me cautiously
moved its foot-long bill to see what I was doing. I took the camera
out again and took some bad pictures in poor light. Here's one:

http://i14.tinypic.com/5y84lg4.jpg

The bird is about fifty feet below me, down a steep slope. The brown
water and white shale much further down are below a fifty-foot drop
beyond the greenery. The first three herons were much closer. Here's
the fourth bird, fuzzily flying off:

http://i16.tinypic.com/6b26fzp.jpg

Instead of vanishing, this fourth great blue heron landed on another
juniper tree, far below me, so I plodded down the slope, trying to
keep an eye on the bird. I soon lost sight of the huge bird, but I
kept looking up hopefully at every juniper.

Meanwhile, the great blue heron was down on the ground, playing turkey
or roadrunner. I noticed it by accident and took more bad pictures
like this one:

http://i11.tinypic.com/4t71kk7.jpg

The stupid heron finally gave up imitating a roadrunner, flew across
the bottom of the gully, and perched on a dead juniper on the far
side:

http://i17.tinypic.com/5z78oc5.jpg

The light was bad, at least for an automatic camera and an incompetent
photographer, but the heron stayed on its tree while I trudged up
through the weeds, taking more pictures like these:

http://i15.tinypic.com/54dsakg.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/4mk0l02.jpg

http://i10.tinypic.com/63j5bo7.jpg

http://i10.tinypic.com/52gav87.jpg

http://i10.tinypic.com/5x3f98n.jpg

Note the clawed feet. It may have decided to stay where it was because
unclipping those things from a dead juniper isn't easy.

By then, I was right under the bird, so I moved away and climbed up
the shale to the left and ended up about thirty feet away, almost at
eye-level with the bird. By sheer luck, I stumbled onto an angle with
better lighting:

http://i17.tinypic.com/4vi8aas.jpg

There! That'll teach those tall birds to tease me!

CF
Old June 11th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
G.T.

wrote in message

Finally, here's about ten pounds of expectant mother, a bit bigger
than a bike helmet. Inflamed by a thunderstorm, she foolishly dug a
nest this afternoon at the edge of a sandy but poorly drained two-rut
road, fifteen feet from her marsh:
http://i12.tinypic.com/6gxpi1g.jpg

Damn, that is one ugly turtle, but I guess I prefer tortoises:

Greg
--
Ticket******* tax tracker:
http://ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html