Critical Mass in your city?

Old October 29th 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nathan

Default Critical Mass in your city?

I've done it once on unicycle - here is the thread from last year with
photos: http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64575 It was
interesting but I do agree that it's not completely a good thing.

---Nathan

--
nathan
Old October 29th 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mill_mobile

I did ours on my 20 and was able to pretty much keep up the front of the
pack the whole way.

--
mill_mobile
Old October 29th 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tak

I find these obnoxious. The last one I saw here took over a 50mph road
that is the only passage for several miles between the mainland and the
beach, and the only access period to a popular state park. Not in the
bike lane, either, (there is one on that road) but bikes clogging three
lanes at 10mph.

--
Tak

"Unicycling goes against common sense." --maestro8
Old October 29th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
disgruntleddave

I think it's irresponsible to do things in a way where the main goal is
to disrupt other people.

It should be done in a way that gets a large amount of exposure, but
not one that pretty much acts to taunt drivers by causing problems.

--
disgruntleddave
Old October 29th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

diamondblast;1120883 wrote:
Hi , that sounds like a cool event although I can see that add was
maid in 2007 , I think it can be very nice if there will be another one
coming soon

Are you in the Albany area?

--
steveyo

steveyo
...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a few 'uni race write-ups'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
- muni and kokopelli uni 't-shirts, mugs and stickers'
(http://www.cafepress.com/steveyo)
Old October 29th 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iAmVincent

Sounds like a bunch of assholes to me. I wouldn't be caught dead riding
in something like that. There have been times where running over some
asshole cyclist who thinks that he/she belongs in the center of the road
has crossed my mind, but the manslaughter charge that will inevitably
follow keeps me from pursuing his/her death. I could only imagine how
angry I'd be if there were a horde of cyclists in front of me on my 15
mile ride to work.

I do recall one time seeing what must have been at least 50 cyclists
who had come in from Phoenix and stopped to take a break at the corner
store in my town. After their break, they all proceeded towards the 15
mile stretch from my town to Prescott. I was so, so happy that I had
the day off from work.

--
iAmVincent

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity.
~Voltaire
Old October 29th 08, 06:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iAmVincent

johnfoss;1121024 wrote:
Long as they share the road and move over when they can.

I was talking about the ones who don't. There aren't that many of
them, but when I do run into them, boy, do I start to boil.

Old October 29th 08, 06:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Cool. There is a critical mass in spokane as well. Ill be there on my
coker. next month though.

--
Jerrick

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC]
Old October 29th 08, 06:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

iAmVincent;1121073 wrote:
I was talking about the ones who don't. There aren't that many of them,
but when I do run into them, boy, do I start to boil.

Yeah, because the 10 seconds it costs you to wait for a safe place to
pass is definitely worth killing someone over, not to mention raising
your blood pressure.

--
tholub
Old October 29th 08, 06:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iAmVincent

tholub;1121079 wrote:
Yeah, because the 10 seconds it costs you to wait for a safe place to
pass is definitely worth killing someone over, not to mention raising
your blood pressure.

This isn't a typical road; there are very few safe places to pass. A
couple of times I had to drive for a few miles behind one of them before
I was finally able to pass. Even though I guess it really isn't a big
deal when put into perspective, I still find it extremely rude to ride
your bike in the middle of my lane when I need to get to work, dammit!