Better pads ?

Old February 18th 11, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

Default Better pads ?

Does someone sell some better quality brake shoes?

Something that doesn't start squealing after a hundred miles would be
nice.

Old February 18th 11, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Feb 17, 8:53 pm, Andy wrote:
Does someone sell some better quality brake shoes?

Something that doesn't start squealing after a hundred miles would be
nice.

Mine squeal from day one. It looks like the canti bosses are not
mounted too symmetrically, making alignment tricky.

But they stop the bike (when I *need* to stop, that is) - and I don't
need a bell :-)
Old February 18th 11, 10:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Feb 18, 4:53*am, Andy wrote:
Does someone sell some better quality brake shoes?

Something that doesn't start squealing after a hundred miles would be
nice.

If you cleaned the rims on your bike, say every 85 miles, the brake
blocks would never start squealing. This tip comes with a big invoice
and a secret handshake.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/Andre%20Jute's%20Utopia%20Kranich.pdf
Old February 18th 11, 12:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

On Feb 18, 4:15*am, Andre Jute wrote:
On Feb 18, 4:53*am, Andy wrote:

Does someone sell some better quality brake shoes?

Something that doesn't start squealing after a hundred miles would be
nice.

If you cleaned the rims on your bike, say every 85 miles, the brake
blocks would never start squealing. This tip comes with a big invoice
and a secret handshake.

Andre Jutehttp://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/Andre%20Jute's%20Utopia%20Kranich.pdf

I will try it and see.

My bike is outdoors a lot too.

Andy
Old February 18th 11, 12:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

On Feb 17, 11:25*pm, Dan O wrote:
On Feb 17, 8:53 pm, Andy wrote:

Does someone sell some better quality brake shoes?

Something that doesn't start squealing after a hundred miles would be
nice.

Mine squeal from day one. *It looks like the canti bosses are not
mounted too symmetrically, making alignment tricky.

But they stop the bike (when I *need* to stop, that is) - and I don't
need a bell :-)

I looked at my Raleigh rims and they have grooves where the pads
contact.

I don't know if that is a design feature or just part of the
manufacturing process.

Andy
Old February 18th 11, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 2/18/2011 7:17 AM, Andy wrote:
On Feb 17, 11:25 pm, Dan wrote:
On Feb 17, 8:53 pm, wrote:

Does someone sell some better quality brake shoes?

Something that doesn't start squealing after a hundred miles would be
nice.

Mine squeal from day one. It looks like the canti bosses are not
mounted too symmetrically, making alignment tricky.

But they stop the bike (when I *need* to stop, that is) - and I don't
need a bell :-)

I looked at my Raleigh rims and they have grooves where the pads
contact.

I don't know if that is a design feature or just part of the
manufacturing process.

My Mavics have a groove as well. Not sure what it's for - maybe weight
reduction or something. As long as it's manufactured there and not worn
into the rim, it's probably fine.

For the brakes, I'd go with the Kool Stops as well.
Old February 18th 11, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Feb 18, 7:44*am, Duane Hebert wrote:
On 2/18/2011 7:17 AM, Andy wrote:

On Feb 17, 11:25 pm, Dan *wrote:
On Feb 17, 8:53 pm, *wrote:

Does someone sell some better quality brake shoes?

Something that doesn't start squealing after a hundred miles would be
nice.

Mine squeal from day one. *It looks like the canti bosses are not
mounted too symmetrically, making alignment tricky.

But they stop the bike (when I *need* to stop, that is) - and I don't
need a bell :-)

I looked at my Raleigh rims and they have grooves where the pads
contact.

I don't know if that is a design feature or just part of the
manufacturing process.

My Mavics have a groove as well. *Not sure what it's for - maybe weight
reduction or something. *As long as it's manufactured there and not worn
into the rim, it's probably fine.

For the brakes, I'd go with the Kool Stops as well.

A single groove is most likely a wear indicator.
Old February 18th 11, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Feb 18, 12:25*am, Dan O wrote:
On Feb 17, 8:53 pm, Andy wrote:

Does someone sell some better quality brake shoes?

Something that doesn't start squealing after a hundred miles would be
nice.

Mine squeal from day one. *It looks like the canti bosses are not
mounted too symmetrically, making alignment tricky.

But they stop the bike (when I *need* to stop, that is) - and I don't
need a bell :-)

VO has an adjustable canti pad holder, if you have the stud type. Or
KS "cross pads." I have the VO's with salmon inserts on one bike and
the "cross pads" on the other and they both work great.

nate
Old February 18th 11, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 2/18/2011 9:33 AM, landotter wrote:
On Feb 18, 7:44 am, Duane wrote:
On 2/18/2011 7:17 AM, Andy wrote:

On Feb 17, 11:25 pm, Dan wrote:
On Feb 17, 8:53 pm, wrote:

Does someone sell some better quality brake shoes?

Something that doesn't start squealing after a hundred miles would be
nice.

Mine squeal from day one. It looks like the canti bosses are not
mounted too symmetrically, making alignment tricky.

But they stop the bike (when I *need* to stop, that is) - and I don't
need a bell :-)

I looked at my Raleigh rims and they have grooves where the pads
contact.

I don't know if that is a design feature or just part of the
manufacturing process.

My Mavics have a groove as well. Not sure what it's for - maybe weight
reduction or something. As long as it's manufactured there and not worn
into the rim, it's probably fine.

For the brakes, I'd go with the Kool Stops as well.

A single groove is most likely a wear indicator.

That's what I thought at first but they are usually painted black. This
one is the same burnished aluminum as the rest of the rim. You're
probably right though.
Old February 18th 11, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Feb 18, 6:44*am, Duane Hebert wrote:
On 2/18/2011 7:17 AM, Andy wrote:

On Feb 17, 11:25 pm, Dan *wrote:
On Feb 17, 8:53 pm, *wrote:

Does someone sell some better quality brake shoes?

Something that doesn't start squealing after a hundred miles would be
nice.

Mine squeal from day one. *It looks like the canti bosses are not
mounted too symmetrically, making alignment tricky.

But they stop the bike (when I *need* to stop, that is) - and I don't
need a bell :-)

I looked at my Raleigh rims and they have grooves where the pads
contact.

I don't know if that is a design feature or just part of the
manufacturing process.

My Mavics have a groove as well. *Not sure what it's for - maybe weight
reduction or something.

Probably a wear indicator.
DR

Fit Pads .. for a Bell Helmet .. REplacement .. ??? How to, where, Fit Pads. Clyde Henpecker General 3 June 20th 09 11:34 PM
which leg pads should i buy smcmorrow Unicycling 1 September 25th 05 10:57 PM
Best V-brake pads? thumbie Techniques 4 December 17th 04 04:01 PM
Shimano pads vs Kool Stop pads flyingdutch Australia 15 October 28th 04 09:36 PM
Brake Pads Lee UK 8 February 18th 04 12:34 AM