Bacchetta Corsa questions...(was Gold Rush (or Ti Rush) v. Bacchetta Aero )

Old October 3rd 03, 05:30 PM
harryo

Default Bacchetta Corsa questions...(was Gold Rush (or Ti Rush) v. Bacchetta Aero )

OK, a couple of you Aero owners have agreed with my assessment that a
Corsa should have virtually the same performance potential as an Aero,
while weighing only a bit more. Can anyone tell me what a Corsa does
weigh? The Bacchetta site doesn't list the weight and I have not seen
it published elsewhere. Obviously, it must weigh something between a
Strada and an Aero. Not that it really matters to me because I am not
a weight weenie anyway, but I am curious.

Also, it appears to me that the fixed riser on the Aero can compromise
the aerodynamics of the bike, something I have also heard mentioned by
a couple of Aero owners. Seat angle seems that to be dependent on the
rider to bike fit, particularly the length of one's torso and arms.
Once the proper fore and aft seat position is established, the angle
of seat layback it limited to the amount of the rider's arm extension.
My thought is that the GlideFlex riser on the Corsa would allow one
to set the seat angle independently of fore fore and aft seat
position, allowing a more aerodynamic rider position while still
giving the rider some flexibility in arm positioning. Your thoughts?

Harry
Old October 4th 03, 05:29 PM
EZ Biker :-\)

harry, I'm 5'.9" with an inseam of 42. My seat (On the frame mount) is
placed 4 holes from the back. I also have 3 spacers in my fix high riser.
(Admittedly I am using an adjustable front crank, that presently I have set
at 170) I have no problem reaching my handlebars and additionally I switched
out the short barrel grip shifters and replaced them with barcons. I now
have a much more complete full grasp of my handlebar ins. My seat is still
at the 7 hole from the top; but I plan to drop it down (Lean the seat back
more) to about 4 or 5 hole. HOWEVER first I need to lose about 2 spacers in
my riser, to which then I will still be able to see plenty of road in front
of me, even at a more laid back position. Not really trying to be an
Aerodynamic weenie, but I am thinking of maybe placing a small plastic duel
sheet (Stapling it around the riser tube) around the riser, which would then
make for less wide mass exposure of the riser post. Other than that, I have
no need to have to move my seat mount / frame any, as my arms are perfectly
placed on the riser handlebars.
EZ Biker :-) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

om...

Old October 4th 03, 07:34 PM
PJ

(harryo) wrote in message . com...
[...]

as opposed to the fiberglas seat on the Corsa and a pretty light set
of Velocity Aerohead wheels with American Classic hubs which are a bit
lighter than the Alex Rims on the Corsa. While I did change out my
cranks I went with shorter 165 Truvativ cranks versus going with
lighter 170 FSA carbon cranks. My bike weighs just a bit over 26 lbs
for the Large frame with pedals and I would guess a Corsa would weigh
about 26.5 to 27.5lbs. In real life there is probably about a 3.5 to
4.0 difference between these bikes and the Aero.

As to which is a cleaner bike, aerodynamically, I think alot depends
on how one has set up their bike and adjusted the riding position.
The glidelex does allow more versatility, and does add about a half
pound of weight, which in and of itself has no practical effect on
performance.

I think/know that the Aero will have very slightly less drag, all
things being equal, because of some very minor differences ie fork.
But in reality alot depends again on how each particular rider has the
bike set up and the corresponding rider position. All of which then
takes you back to the engine which is where the real differences will
show up.

Pat Mc
Old October 4th 03, 08:43 PM
EZ Biker :-\)

OOOPS! Sorry for the repeat postings! Now I know what my OE newsreader was
doing, when it hick-upped!!!
EZ Biker :-) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"

Old October 5th 03, 04:02 AM
Jude T. McGloin

How you have the Aero or Corsa or for that matter an Strada/Corsa set up
has much to do with aerodynamic efficency. Presenting the smallest profile
is the key. As the Bacchetta Corsa and Aero have evolved the handlebars have
lost their flair and the risers have shortened. This was with aerodynamics
in mind.
I weighed a stock Corsa today it weighed 26 lbs 9 oz.
When it comes to evaluating say and Aero vs. various configurations of the
GRR/To Rush. I think that EZ wins the creditabilty war since very few out
there have the past thousands of GRR miles and now accumilating Aero miles.
Anytime comparisons/evaluations are made by those with little or no
practical experience with the particular bike, its all opinion and
conjecture not based on long term practical experience. I have wipped up on
a few socked GRR's and have been dusted by a few others. Underneath that
sock and behind the high BB of an Aero or Corsa is most crucial speed
component.

--
Jude....///Bacchetta AERO
St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland
"PJ" wrote in message
om...

. com...

Old October 5th 03, 04:12 AM
EZ Biker :-\)

Well put Jude. Here's still another tidbit of feedback on my Aero vs. my now
sold GRR Ti. Today I did a metric and ended up with a 19.1 mph overall
average speed. Some of that ride was done in a nice 10+ mile head wind and I
had little problems SLICING through the headwind and moving along the road.
In the 5+ years I rode my GRR Ti I only hit that kind of overall speed
average a few times, at best and that was when I was hanging with some DF
hammer heads.
The other issue I've had with regard to a body-socked Easy Racer is how you
communicate to traffic in that of hand signals. Unless there are some
cutouts on the side of the sock or you have rear turn signals, you're SOL in
trying to let vehicle traffic know, what you are doing. I for one have
always made it a point to use hand signals especially in the traffic I ride
in down here in South Florida. It seems the general consciences is that if
you want to go EXTRA FAST on an Easy Racer bike, you should seriously
consider a body sock. Fine! But on my Aero, I don't need that artificial
(Weighty) air control device to make my Aero go EXTRA FAST and I'm able to
use hand signals in traffic as well.

Old October 5th 03, 04:23 AM
Tom Sherman

"EZ Biker :-)" wrote:
The other issue I've had with regard to a body-socked Easy Racer is how you
communicate to traffic in that of hand signals. Unless there are some
cutouts on the side of the sock or you have rear turn signals, you're SOL in
trying to let vehicle traffic know, what you are doing....

Most of the socks from FreeForm [1] I have seen have a zippered slit for
signaling turns - I copied this feature on my homemade sock.

[1] Supplier of OEM Easy Racers bodysocks.

Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers