Cycling for weight loss. Update

Old June 29th 04, 11:12 PM
Daniel Crispin

Default Cycling for weight loss. Update

"Terry Morse" wrote in message
Daniel Crispin wrote:

I read a lot about those carbs. I decided to lower my intake of the

ones
that spike insulin production. Will
be hard since I am a pasta and rice guy.

Well, don't cut out the carbs completely, especially from your
post-workout recovery meal. Recommended intake after a hard workout
is 70-100 gm of carbs and 20-25 gm of protein. Skip the simple
sugars, not the complex carbs.

I never take post workout meals as such I just eat my normal meals.
What do you eat after a workout? A protein shake? Or a real meal?

Old June 29th 04, 11:17 PM
Daniel Crispin

"GaryG" wrote in message
"Daniel Crispin" wrote in message
.. .
Well been 3 weeks now. Lost 8 pounds on week 1, 6 pounds on week 2 and

2
pounds last week.
Loosing less and less will have to eat less and pedal more But

seriously
first few weeks I know you
loose a lot of water too, so that's most likelly normal. Now just gotta
find a way to keep loosing 4 pounds
per week and I will be happy.

No offense, but you're dreaming. Your goal of losing 4 lbs per week is
unrealistic. It would require a daily deficit of 2000 calories (1 lb of

fat
= 3500 calories). That means you need to eat 2000 calories less than you
burn each day. That is a nearly impossible rate of weight loss, and
potentially unhealthy because it's hard to get sufficient vitamins and
minerals. It's also hard to exercise with such a large calorie deficit.

Most authorities recommend a much more modest rate of weight loss - a
deficit of 500 calories per day is recommended and should result in about

1
lb per week of weight loss. See
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2002/102_fat.html for more info on this.

Keep up the bike riding, and aim for a modest, sustainable rate of weight
loss. You didn't gain all that weight in a few months, and you won't lose
it in a few months either.

GG
http://www.WeightWare.com
Your Weight and Health Diary

I read a lot about those carbs. I decided to lower my intake of the

ones
that spike insulin production. Will
be hard since I am a pasta and rice guy. Good thing is that I am not a
potato guy, 95 on the glycemic index
is insane

How about you guys that were doing the same?

Well I did loose 8 pounds and 6 pounds on 2 consecutive weeks... I did not
feel
tired or sluggish either. My BMR is around 2700 now. If I cycle say 10
hours per
week that is about 5000 calories right there. So 1.5 pound lost due to
excercise. I eat
around 2000 calories per day now. So that is a deficit of almost 1.5
pounds. So ok,
3 pounds per week. I know I will not be able to do that for ever because as
I lose weight
my BMR will lower. But still 3 pounds is 3 times what is supposedly
recommanded.

Once the first 50 pounds are off, I won't mind loosing at a slower rate.
Right now I am
doing all I can to burn the most I can. And as for vitamins, that is why
supplements exist.

Old June 30th 04, 02:07 AM
Terry Morse

Daniel Crispin wrote:

I never take post workout meals as such I just eat my normal meals.
What do you eat after a workout? A protein shake? Or a real meal?

I usually make myself a juice drink with protein right after a ride,
then I'll have some pasta an hour or two later. I try to get at
least 100 gm of carbs and 25 gm of protein from the two. If I don't
get enough food within about 3 hours after a ride, my legs feel
sluggish the next day.
Old June 30th 04, 06:02 AM
Daniel Crispin

Daniel Crispin wrote:

I never take post workout meals as such I just eat my normal meals.
What do you eat after a workout? A protein shake? Or a real meal?

I usually make myself a juice drink with protein right after a ride,
then I'll have some pasta an hour or two later. I try to get at
least 100 gm of carbs and 25 gm of protein from the two. If I don't
get enough food within about 3 hours after a ride, my legs feel
sluggish the next day.

Probably why I always have leg pain unless I rest for 2 days after a hard
ride.

I will try it next week end, will get a bucket of protein powder and
eat(drink)
that after I am back home. 25 Grams is not that much when using powder.
Not sure it's as good as a real meal like tuna, milk or anything high in
protein
though.... I always wonder about the ability of the body to metabolize
those
food supplements.

Old June 30th 04, 01:53 PM
Peter Cole

"GaryG" wrote

Once after a century ride I was too lazy to cook and went to Jack in the
Box. I ordered a healthy-sounding Turkey Pannido sandwich, and a small
chocolate shake. Later I got curious, and looked them up online...imagine
my surprise when I found out I had consumed over 1400 calories (most of it
fat calories)!

There was a recent article in the local paper about how nutritionally bad the
coffee shop drinks could be, and how unaware many customers were of this. They
reported one drink at over 800 calories (majority fat), making it the
equivalent of a double cheeseburger. Many of the pastries are in this range or
even higher. From the amount of post-ride face stuffing I see, I'd have to
guess that many rides result in a net caloric gain. Most of these riders seem
to be of the belief that their riding allows them to eat anything. "Ride to
eat" is a common outlook. It's not surprising that many of these are
substantially overweight despite regular, vigorous exercise.

Old June 30th 04, 02:48 PM
Pbwalther

There was a recent article in the local paper about how nutritionally bad the
coffee shop drinks could be, and how unaware many customers were of this.
They
reported one drink at over 800 calories (majority fat), making it the
equivalent of a double cheeseburger.

What a coincidence. Our local paper just had a very similar article. I did
not look at the byline though. The fancier lattes and what not could go over
600 calories (almost all fat) with no problem at all.

From the amount of post-ride face stuffing I see, I'd have to
guess that many rides result in a net caloric gain. Most of these riders seem
to be of the belief that their riding allows them to eat anything.

"Ride to
eat" is a common outlook. It's not surprising that many of these are
substantially overweight despite regular, vigorous exercise.

Quite right. One CAN lose weight primarily by exercising and being careful not
to sabotage oneself with poor diet choices. Even pretty vigorous exercise
burns up only about 1000 calories per hour so it takes 3.5 hours to burn a lb
of fat and that is assuming everything burned was fat. It is also
drepressingly easy to consume nearly astronomical amounts of calories in a very
short period of time. I one has to do is to look up the caloric content of
most large meals at fast food restaurants.
Old June 30th 04, 06:40 PM
Michael J. Klein

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 07:30:54 GMT, Matt Woodthorpe
wrote:

Well done on the weight loss, of course you have to remember that as well burning the blubber, your two-wheeled road rocket improves fitness and builds muscles. Muscle is heavy, muscle is good, so you may find you don’t always lose weight. The alternative diets involving denying your body the raw materials to burn fuel, and sitting around waiting for the weight to fall off, are a recipe for bad health, wind and halitosis. Skinny and unfit, does not equal healthy
Just eat a healthy diet and go for the burn, few things look better than a lean mean pedalling machine.
So take these words of wisdom from a man who is 40years of age, 100 kg in weight, doing 200+ a week and fit as a butcher’s dog.

good points

Michael J. Klein
Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings