Why Are We Called Freds?

Old September 4th 04, 04:42 AM

Default Why Are We Called Freds?

Etymology, please. Why are riders like me called Freds?

Fred Fogel
Old September 4th 04, 07:03 AM

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 05:30:38 +0000, Ken
wrote:

wrote in news:2beij0hlok1see4qj5ecu83fdjme6j97et@
4ax.com:
Etymology, please. Why are riders like me called Freds?

Flintstone

Dear Ken,

Ah, the stone wheels?

Carl Fogel

Old September 4th 04, 11:59 AM
psycholist

wrote in message
Etymology, please. Why are riders like me called Freds?

Fred Fogel

'Cuz Wilbur is already reserved for the clueless who ride on the wrong side
of the road.

Bob C.

Old September 4th 04, 01:01 PM
Rhesus Monkey

What kind of rider are you that you are called "Fred" in the first place?
Does that make me a "Fred" for asking?

Old September 4th 04, 01:05 PM
Doug Huffman

Perhaps a term of derision. ISTR 'herman' and 'pancho' and such from my
childhood (Santa Clara, '66)

Do you self-identify or have you been called a 'fred'. Recasting the
premise as 'Why are some riders called Fred' may be more informative. The
'like me' may be bathetic.

There is, of course, homophonic phred.org related to cycling and with an
explanation of its name. It also relates to the past and divides VietNam era
from contemporary events.

Your favorite 'foil' may be a bit freddish but not you.