How long have your Speedplay Frog cleats lasted?

Old September 7th 04, 04:14 AM
rosco

Default How long have your Speedplay Frog cleats lasted?

I switched to Frogs on my road bike earlier this year. On my ride today, my
left foot kept pulling out of the pedal. After arriving home, I checked the
cleat and found one of the nubs on the cleat that retains it onto that
roundish part sticking up from the pedal base had completely worn away. The
symmetrically equivalent nub on the right footed cleat is almost gone as
well. Checking back through my ride log, I've only accumulated about 160
hours of riding on these cleats. Is this normal for Frog cleats? I really
like the pedals, but replacing cleats about twice a year will get kind of
expensive.

Old September 7th 04, 04:12 PM
Kyle.B.H

"rosco" wrote in message
.net...
I switched to Frogs on my road bike earlier this year. On my ride today,

my
left foot kept pulling out of the pedal. After arriving home, I checked

the
cleat and found one of the nubs on the cleat that retains it onto that
roundish part sticking up from the pedal base had completely worn away.

The
symmetrically equivalent nub on the right footed cleat is almost gone as
well. Checking back through my ride log, I've only accumulated about 160
hours of riding on these cleats. Is this normal for Frog cleats? I

really
like the pedals, but replacing cleats about twice a year will get kind of
expensive.

I just switched to Frogs on my road bike as well. After about 500 miles,
I've noticed that the left pedal clicks and clacks a bit at the top of the
stroke, indicating play between the cleat and the pedal. Upon inspection of
the cleats, I noticed that the front edge of the inner nub was showing
noticeable wear. Which nub of yours broke off? I've found Speedplay's
customer service to be very good. Gve them a call at 800-468-6694 and I'm
sure they'll help you out.

If I have to replace the cleats once I year, I can handle that (I'll be
lucky if I do 2000 miles this year). Your mileage may vary. Look at it as
the price you pay for their unique and, to many, beneficial pedal system.
If the cleat metal were harder, then the pedal would wear out quickly as
well, which is of course is no good. Do you regularly lube your cleats and
pedals? I think that this is a must. Per their web site, I've been using a
wax based lube, but the guy on the phone recommeded a dry, teflon based
lube, of which I can't think of any name brands (can anyone recommend?)

Kyle

Old September 7th 04, 10:52 PM
Tim McNamara

Make sure you have the new version of the cleats rather than the old
version. The old ones, IME, lasted a few thousand miles. The new
ones seem to last easily twice as long- I've got about 10,000 miles
on this pair.

Old September 8th 04, 02:23 AM
rosco

[...]

Spoke w/ Speedplay. They are having me return the cleats, and may send me
new ones under warranty. The ones which wore out are the new Frog II
cleats.