Trek Fuel 80.......again

Old January 15th 05, 10:17 AM
TonyP

Default Trek Fuel 80.......again

The bike weighs 30lbs and I 'd like to get it to about 28 lbs if possible.
It rides very well.

What is the best way to lighten the bike?

Many Thanks

Old January 15th 05, 12:19 PM
Ride-A-Lot

TonyP wrote:
The bike weighs 30lbs and I 'd like to get it to about 28 lbs if possible.
It rides very well.

What is the best way to lighten the bike?

Many Thanks

Throw it in the dumpster.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot (Beat JD to the punch) o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old January 15th 05, 01:49 PM
Stephen Baker

TonyP says:

What is the best way to lighten the bike?

Probably easier and cheaper to remove the 2 lbs from the rider.
Just keep riding hard. ;-)

Steve
Old January 15th 05, 04:01 PM
small change

TonyP wrote:
The bike weighs 30lbs and I 'd like to get it to about 28 lbs if
possible. It rides very well.

What is the best way to lighten the bike?

Many Thanks

buy a lighter bike. The money you'll have spent changing out components (
seat post, cranks, wheels, etc) could be put to spending more on a bike that
weighs less. The general thinking for your price range is, nice light
hardtail with nice components, or low end FS that is heavy and middle of the
road at best components.

penny s

Old January 15th 05, 04:07 PM
Zilla

TonyP wrote:
The bike weighs 30lbs and I 'd like to get it to about 28 lbs if
possible. It rides very well.

What is the best way to lighten the bike?

Many Thanks

Try the Fuel 90, or 95; same frame lighter components.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Old January 15th 05, 04:53 PM
Chris Glidden

"Dean A. Stepper" wrote in message

"TonyP" wrote in message
The bike weighs 30lbs and I 'd like to get it to about 28 lbs if
possible.
It rides very well.

What is the best way to lighten the bike?

Many Thanks

ghost ride it

Ghost riding is fantastic. We've had ghost riding races down the rocky
section of Rockit.

Old January 15th 05, 05:33 PM
TonyP

Is it the components that are low end or the components and the frame.

I've been told I can get the bike to 26lbs.

If you think the frame is crap, can someone point out the flaws in it.

Cheers.

Old January 15th 05, 06:08 PM
Shawn

TonyP wrote:
Is it the components that are low end or the components and the frame.

I've been told I can get the bike to 26lbs.

If you think the frame is crap, can someone point out the flaws in it.

Sorry Tony, but the flaw is in thinking two lbs. makes a difference.
(Don't take that hard-it's about the most common "flaw" when it comes to
thinking about new bikes). If all the weight came off the circumference
of the wheels, you'd notice a difference in handling and maybe go a
little faster, but otherwise you're just being a weight weenie.
Higher quality components work better, and are lighter because of better
alloys, engineering, and manufacturing methods (usually forged vs.
cast). The reason *most* of us ride better stuff is that it works
better and lasts longer. It's a little lighter, but that's not the
biggest motivation.
Do a gut-check. Got a gut? Loose weight there first. :-)

Shawn

Old January 15th 05, 06:49 PM
TonyP

Thanks for that Shawn and now I realise that the weight of the bike isn't
everything.

Just one more question.
Are the new 2005 frames weak or badly designed?

If the frame is no good then I won't bother to put an expensive fork or
better crankset on the bike.

Thanks.