Bloody dog!

Old June 29th 08, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_4_]

Default Bloody dog!

Don't get me wrong, as a rule I like dogs. When out on my MTB on local
bridleways, I often get dogs running along with me wanting to join in
the game, and I just slow down and talk to them and everyone's happy.
They're there, I'm there, we all get along. The owners usually
apologise profusely or thank me for slowing down, even though there's no
need, and sometimes I end up chatting briefly to the owners.

Then there was today. A little white rat-dog came belting out of the
woods, ran very close in front of me so I had to stop, and fastened
itself to my right foot. Then the owners, instead of attempting to
control the dog, shouted at me to stop kicking it (I was trying to shake
it off my foot!!). I was then told in no uncertain terms to cycle
somewhere else (I was totally legal and safe where I was). The owners
really did believe that they had no responsibility for keeping their dog
under control. I was so astounded that they really thought I was to
blame for their dog attacking me that all the smart ripostes came on the
way home instead of on the spot. Even when the dog released itself for
another attack, the owners made absolutely no attempt to control it - in
fact the woman said that if it was a bigger dog she would set it onto
me. These people really are not responsible enough to own dogs - how on
earth are they allowed to? Frankly, they come under the category of
despicable low-life scum. If that had been a small child instead of my
chunky MTB shoes there would have been a hell of a lot more damage.

No, the subject shouldn't read "Bloody dog", it should read "(Some)
bloody dog owners."

Sorry - I had to get that off my chest. This was a short trial ride on
my new bike in the local woods - back to normal routes next week where
it's too-curious cows I have to contend with! Perhaps I should add that
all the many other dogs and owners I encountered today behaved
wonderfully, with just one great big lollopy thing bounding along beside
me for a bit.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old June 29th 08, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ekul Namsob

Paul Boyd wrote:

Don't get me wrong, as a rule I like dogs.

snip

Then there was today. A little white rat-dog came belting out of the
woods, ran very close in front of me so I had to stop, and fastened
itself to my right foot. Then the owners, instead of attempting to
control the dog, shouted at me to stop kicking it (I was trying to shake
it off my foot!!).

snip

No, the subject shouldn't read "Bloody dog", it should read "(Some)
bloody dog owners."

I hope that someone reports them to the police and that the dog owners
are destroyed.

cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire http://www.shrimper.org.uk
Old June 29th 08, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman[_3_]

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 15:25:56 +0100, Ekul Namsob wrote:

Paul Boyd wrote:
No, the subject shouldn't read "Bloody dog", it should read "(Some)
bloody dog owners."

I hope that someone reports them to the police and that the dog owners
are destroyed.

Attacked by a dog and the owner threatening to kill/injure you? Sounds
like that was a 999 moment.

At least you've made it back to tell the tale.

peter
Old June 29th 08, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_4_]

On 29/06/2008 16:30, naked_draughtsman said,

Attacked by a dog and the owner threatening to kill/injure you? Sounds
like that was a 999 moment.

If I'd had a phone with me I may have been tempted but the police would
have shown their usual level of interest - zero. The dog in question
was never going to do more damage than a serious nip though, but what
really incensed me was not the dog's behaviour but the owner's "couldn't
care less" attitude. Yes, sometimes dogs do get out of hand, but this
is the first time for me that when it's happened, the owners haven't
come rushing over to control the dog and usually apologise. This case
was quite the opposite. I'm just glad it wasn't a bigger dog.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old June 29th 08, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
david lloyd

"Paul Boyd" wrote in message
[...]

Get a tazer sp?, that will prove entertaining when used on either dog. I
jest, of course - I can't condone the use of a tazer on a canine. ;-)

David Lloyd
Time flys when you're having fun.
Your luggage flys only after you've left Terminal 5.

Old June 29th 08, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Leighton

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 18:15:20 +0100,
David Lloyd wrote:

"Paul Boyd" wrote in message
Don't get me wrong, as a rule I like dogs. When out on my MTB on local
bridleways, I often get dogs running along with me wanting to join in the
game, and I just slow down and talk to them and everyone's happy. They're
there, I'm there, we all get along. The owners usually apologise
profusely or thank me for slowing down, even though there's no need, and
sometimes I end up chatting briefly to the owners.

Then there was today. A little white rat-dog came belting out of the
woods, ran very close in front of me so I had to stop, and fastened itself
to my right foot.

Get a tazer sp?, that will prove entertaining when used on either dog. I
jest, of course - I can't condone the use of a tazer on a canine. ;-)

Advising the original poster to break the law doesn't seem very wise
advice. Tasers are not legal in this country to own or carry about.

--
Andy Leighton =
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_
Old June 29th 08, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
burtthebike

"Paul Boyd" wrote in message

Sounds like a case for the big stick.

Throw the stick, and while the dog is busy chasing it, kick s**t out of the
owners.

Old June 29th 08, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_4_]

On 29/06/2008 18:46, Andy Leighton said,

Tasers are not legal in this country to own or carry about.

Nor are knives or guns ;-) But no, I wouldn't use a tazer on a dog. I
could quite happily have used one on the owners.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old June 29th 08, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Paul Boyd wrote:
On 29/06/2008 18:46, Andy Leighton said,

Tasers are not legal in this country to own or carry about.

Nor are knives or guns ;-)

Contrary to the views of the Daily Wail or Gordon Brown, knives are
legal to own and to carry about, if you have a reason to carry it.

bloody CTC Ian Smith UK 64 June 11th 07 11:01 AM
Bloody AUK Arthur Clune UK 75 March 1st 06 11:25 AM
bloody redheads the unicycle man Australia 0 September 22nd 05 11:19 AM
Bloody cyclists!!! dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers UK 5 December 7th 04 11:40 PM