Cyclingnews' live coverage

Old September 7th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung[_2_]

Default Cyclingnews' live coverage

Man, I miss Jeff.

Old September 7th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Robert Chung" wrote in message
Man, I miss Jeff.

At least his reports were interesting.

Old September 8th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Sep 7, 7:35*am, "Robert Chung"
wrote:
Man, I miss Jeff.

CyclingNews definitely went downhill after he left, I even made that
comment on their survey. Apart from his writing style, it also annoys
me that just the level of English has deteriorated with errors and
especially literal incorrect translations. Why can't they get native
English speakers, or even better non-natives who write even better,
like Ewoud?

-ilan
Old September 8th 08, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jeff Jones

On Sep 8, 12:04*am, wrote:

CyclingNews definitely went downhill after he left, I even made that
comment on their survey. Apart from his writing style, it also annoys
me that just the level of English has deteriorated with errors and
especially literal incorrect translations. Why can't they get native
English speakers, or even better non-natives who write even better,
like Ewoud?

I feel as though I've done my time as a production editor. But are one
or two production jobs going at the moment: you could always
apply :-)

I've been helping current editor Dan sift through literally billions
of CVs that came in as a result of the recent job ad. Most of them are
pretty ordinary, some of them are hilarious, some of them are scary,
and a slim number are actually worth reading past the first page
(hint: don't send 18 page CVs). Of those, we'll see how many will work
for the equivalent of 4 Zimbabwean dollars a month.

My remaining work time is taken up by small but numerous
administrative tasks (tea drinking) and a bit of broad-brushstroke-
site-strategy-blue-sky-type thinking (coffee drinking). To write and
edit properly, you need to be uninterrupted for more than 10 minutes
and have better quality coffee.

Jeff
Old September 8th 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jeff Jones

I feel as though I've done my time as a production editor. But *there* are one

Old September 8th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Jeff Jones wrote:
My remaining work time is taken up by small but numerous administrative
tasks (tea drinking) and a bit of broad-brushstroke-
site-strategy-blue-sky-type thinking (coffee drinking). To write and edit
properly, you need to be uninterrupted for more than 10 minutes and have
better quality coffee.

Starbucks rationalization seems have affected cyclingnews
coverage. And in related news, Beijing butterflies survived the
air pollution.

Old September 8th 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Sep 8, 2:19*pm, Ted van de Weteringe
wrote:
schreef:

just the level of English has deteriorated with errors and
especially literal incorrect translations. Why can't they get native
English speakers, or even better non-natives who write even better,
like Ewoud?

Your to kind.

Thanks. I was going to include myself, as English is my second
language, after French, but I speak it currently.

-ilan
Old September 10th 08, 05:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Sep 8, 12:23*pm, Jeff Jones wrote:
On Sep 8, 12:04*am, wrote:

[...]

I like your column on ProCycling but the whole magazine in general
seems a little out of touch since the time delay is pretty long,
especially if I buy it in France or the US. It's better when you just
post here and you have more lattitude as well, as you previously
mentioned.

By the way, I came up with this theory that the best cycling magazines
must be British. The point is that the French ones are totally
immersed in French culture and don't have enough perspective, while
the American ones are starstruck and show way too much reverence for
Euro racing and don't have a full understanding of the grimy side of
Europe. The British are at the exactly right distance to give a good
mix of everything.

-ilan