getting mother convinced

Old September 6th 03, 07:33 PM
Sofa

Default getting mother convinced

How about this...

I've been riding for 2 years, and have only heard of one incedent. I
forget who, but someone broke his leg while riding down stairs. While
riding a unicycle down stairs.

The people who hurt themselves are already great riders looking for
something better to do.

Let your mom know that it is such a safer sport than basically any other
sport, and the incident level is ridiculously low.

On the other hand, it is a great cardio workout, a great abs and legs
workout, a great self esteem workout (because c'mon, who doesn't feel
like they are king of the world when they pull of something they've been
trying?)

There is really just no reason NOT to unicycle. Please check out the
brokens bones poll I am about to start...'poll here'
(http://tinyurl.com/mh1q)

--
Sofa - My Custom Beard

'London Unicycling Club' (http://londonunicyclingclub.ca)
Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old September 6th 03, 07:51 PM
Gumbo

Your lowest foot is never more than 8 inches or so off the ground, how
dangerous can that be?

--
Gumbo
Gumbo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3258

Old September 6th 03, 09:07 PM
Cubby

Jazzist wrote:
*My mother has pulled the plug on my unicycling wants, she says that
ill fall and break somthing. i was just wondering if you guys could
help me out by giving me somewhat truthful "safety" features of a uni.
how much of a chance is there of breaking a bone when you are
learning. thanks to all who respond *

Not that it makes any difference but how old are you. I'm over 40 and
my mother also worries about me on a unicycle too. :-)

The fact is you *could* fall and break something. I haven't seen actual
statistics but I'd think the most likely fractures would be wrist or
forearm. This is true for rollerblading or skateboarding. But I feel
the overall chances of such a fracture are lower on a uni. So make that
low risk even lower. Just wearing a set of wrist guards when learning
will greatly reduce the chance of wrist injury. I'd wear a helmet
too.

I know of kids that have started at a wide range of school ages. None
have had any injuries to speak of.

-Cubby
Who's mother suggested possibly that full body armor may be called for.

--
Cubby
Cubby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4275

Old September 6th 03, 10:01 PM
UNI GUY

Him being HIM OR HER

--
UNI GUY - UNICYCLING OBSESSED
UNI GUY's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4084

Old September 6th 03, 11:03 PM
Krashin'Kenny

I learned how to unicycle just before I turned 50. If it's safe enough
for us old guys, there shoudn't be any reason why a youngster such as
yourself should have any threat of injury from learning to uni. Just
keep yourself protected with a helmet and pads. Sure, you're going to
fall, but there will be very little speed involved, so if properly
suited up, the chance for serious injuries are actually quite slim

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!
Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Old September 7th 03, 12:32 AM
onefiftyfour

When I was learning, I never fell off and broke anything. I always
landed on my feet. When you start riding off-road or up and down steep
hills, the chances of breaking bones goes up a little. But that's why
we wear safety gear.

If you want to unicycle, you just have to. It's the best. My
girlfriend's 8 year old son is learning to ride. My girlfriend is very,
very , very protective. She's letting him learn. He just has to wear a
helmet and wristguards.

Good luck, I bet she'll be convinced.

-Eric

--
onefiftyfour - Eric
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

Old September 7th 03, 12:53 AM
UniBrier

Now that I've posted on that other thread...Unicycling is safe!

I lost more skin as a kid from crashing on my bicycle than I ever have
on a uni.

Basic unicycling is no more hazardous than jogging. I rode extensively
through my teens and college years then frequently through my 30's with
no injuries.

Sure there is increased risk in Muni, Trials and some of the advanced
skills. I have had enough tall giraffes though, nothing over six feet
for me.

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek - I've got a one track mind.
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Old September 7th 03, 01:25 AM
tomblackwood

It's tough to get much more than scraped if you pad up properly.
Remember you can't get the thing going much above 5-8 mph, which
compared to a bicycle is nothing. When I was a kid my worst injuries
were from wiping out on pavement at 15-20 mph on my bike. I've never
approached this on a uni, and have never gotten as badly hurt.

I have a 9 year old son who learned to ride at 8, and has not had any
injury more serious than a couple bumps/bruises and a little torn skin.
Standard childhood stuff.

Please Mom? Can he come out and ride with us?

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

My other brake is my face!

Old September 7th 03, 01:39 AM
andrew_carter

I've been riding for 16 months now and haven't yet sprained or broken
anything. I do a lot of muni and when I fall off I most often land on
my feet and just come to a stop (still on my feet) about 10m down the
hill. I'm also into mountain biking and I honestly reckon it's much
more dangerous than unicycling. The worst fall I've had was backwards
from a 5' giraffe onto my elbow and tailbone and that only resulted in a
cut really. That was in an attempt to rolling mount (or whatever you
call it when you're doing it on a giraffe) it on a cement road.
Unicycling's definately safe. I guess I'm a pretty cautious rider but I
still think there's nothing to worry about. Sure, you can make it
dangerous if you want to, but it doesn't have to be and usually isn't.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au!

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au - Opening soon!
"Nietzsche is dead" - God

Old September 7th 03, 04:05 PM
UniMike

My wife was afraid I'd break something, too, so it took me a few weeks
to talk her into getting one for me. Since then, she's seen firsthand
how safe they are. Now she wants to try!

Come on, mom! Everyone should have a uni!!