open season

Old August 9th 08, 08:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ray

Default open season

Surprised no-one else has bothered this year, but I usually note the
date when the bombing season starts, and today one had a go at me just
down the street. Now they'll be after us until early October at the
least, a magpie bombed me on Cup Day in a remote spot a few years back.
I'm sure we all enjoy watching over our shoulders, the swoosh of the
attack run and sometimes the whack if they manage to hit us. Well, it's
on again for another year.
Cheers,
Ray
Old August 9th 08, 09:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB[_2_]

ray wrote:
Surprised no-one else has bothered this year, but I usually note the
date when the bombing season starts, and today one had a go at me just
down the street. Now they'll be after us until early October at the
least, a magpie bombed me on Cup Day in a remote spot a few years back.
I'm sure we all enjoy watching over our shoulders, the swoosh of the
attack run and sometimes the whack if they manage to hit us. Well, it's
on again for another year.
Cheers,
Ray

Check out my magpie map and send updates to the address on the web page.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~dbue...piemap04a.html

Daveb
Old August 9th 08, 11:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

ray wrote:
Surprised no-one else has bothered this year, but I usually note the
date when the bombing season starts, and today one had a go at me just
down the street. Now they'll be after us until early October at the
least, a magpie bombed me on Cup Day in a remote spot a few years back.
I'm sure we all enjoy watching over our shoulders, the swoosh of the
attack run and sometimes the whack if they manage to hit us. Well, it's
on again for another year.
Cheers,
Ray

They place a couple of cable ties up through the helmet, like antenna
this seems to keep them at bay.

Old August 9th 08, 12:21 PM posted to aus.bicycle
ray

Rob wrote:
ray wrote:
Surprised no-one else has bothered this year, but I usually note the
date when the bombing season starts, and today one had a go at me just
down the street. Now they'll be after us until early October at the
least, a magpie bombed me on Cup Day in a remote spot a few years
back. I'm sure we all enjoy watching over our shoulders, the swoosh of
the attack run and sometimes the whack if they manage to hit us. Well,
it's on again for another year.
Cheers,
Ray

They place a couple of cable ties up through the helmet, like antenna
this seems to keep them at bay.

Nope. Did that a couple of years back, didn't work. Neither do eyes on
the back of the helmet. Little *******s. You can't just shoot them
either, protected species, and they're only protecting their own little
ones. Wish they had some other way of doing it than re-enacting the
attack on Pearl Harbour every time you go to the shops. Bright ideas,
anyone? Now is the time.
Cheers,
Ray
Old August 9th 08, 03:05 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

ray wrote:
Rob wrote:
ray wrote:
[...]

Must have worked for Plovers then.

We had some Magpie around here, nesting, they were aware of the locals
and never attacked them, but anyone else who walked/rode past copped it.

Old August 10th 08, 06:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Pitts[_2_]

On 2008-08-09, ray wrote:
Surprised no-one else has bothered this year, but I usually note the
date when the bombing season starts, and today one had a go at me just
down the street.

I haven't had any magpie problems yet, but the other day I was nearly
taken out by a crow that wasn't watching where it was flying. Bit of a
surprise for both of us.

--
John
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.
Old August 10th 08, 09:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2008-08-10, John Pitts (aka Bruce)
On 2008-08-09, ray wrote:
Surprised no-one else has bothered this year, but I usually note the
date when the bombing season starts, and today one had a go at me just
down the street.

I haven't had any magpie problems yet, but the other day I was nearly
taken out by a crow that wasn't watching where it was flying. Bit of a
surprise for both of us.

Better that than a penguin, I guess.

This year is going to sum up to be a bad riding year for me. Summer
too hot, autumn I was away without my bike, Winter too cold and damp
(not wet, just damp. Damn drought), spring too magpiey, summer too
hot again.

--
TimC
An engineer is someone who does list processing in FORTRAN.
Old August 10th 08, 11:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 17:06:36 +1000, ray wrote:

Well, it's on again for another year.

YEAH, tis the season of silly hats.

I'm still hunting around for the sound chip from those ray blaster toys
that came with 28(?) sounds. every thing from the varios police, fire,
ambo sirens, to woop-woop, chang-ching, nip-nip-nip, brack-brak.....

Add a proximity sensor and startle te maggies. {:-).