need hill climbing advice

Old February 24th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Default need hill climbing advice

steveyo wrote:
OK, wow. That's a steep road. It's 800m long - what's the vertical
gain? That's awesome. I'd love to train on that thing.

Dunno if it's 800m long, what I was trying to do was compare a sprint
with something that is slightly more aerobic.
Baldwin St I think is probably closer to 400m long. Only the second
half is hilly. The peak gradient is about 35%.
http://www.ourshop.co.nz/baldwinstreet.htm

--
GizmoDuck

'The SINZ Unitour 2007' (http://www.sinzuni.org)...No Salvation
Required
'The Laos Unicycle Tour 2006' (http://www.laosunitour.org)....An
Adventure of Epic Proportions
The Monguni Tour 2008....catchy slogan pending
The Unifice 2009....Fire & Ice, One-Wheel Sacrifice
The SISININZ Unitour 2010....How to get a sore butt

Old February 24th 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
homunculus

Being able to get out of the saddle and stay in balance has helped me.
Learning to ride with the seat in front helped a lot --even practicing
on the flats helped on the hills. Really lean forward, and don't let
your knees stick out sideways, cowboy style.
I'm even older than you; I get to give worthless advice all I want.
Just ignore it, let me mutter to myself off in a corner, and we'll all
be happy.

--
homunculus
homunculus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13272

Old February 24th 07, 05:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

GizmoDuck wrote:
Dunno if it's 800m long, what I was trying to do was compare a sprint
with something that is slightly more aerobic.
Baldwin St I think is probably closer to 400m long. Only the second
half is hilly. The peak gradient is about 35%.
http://www.ourshop.co.nz/baldwinstreet.htm

35% - yummy.

--
steveyo

steveyo

...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

Check out my 'uni race write-ups'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)

Old February 24th 07, 07:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

GizmoDuck wrote:
Dunno if it's 800m long, what I was trying to do was compare a sprint
with something that is slightly more aerobic.
Baldwin St I think is probably closer to 400m long. Only the second
half is hilly. The peak gradient is about 35%.
http://www.ourshop.co.nz/baldwinstreet.htm

Baldwin Street, at Dunedin's Northern end is reputed by the Guinness
Book of Records as being the steepest street in the world. 35%
gradient = 1:2.86 You are advised against taking a car up the street
so no cheating please. It is a very invigorating walk to the top on a
cold day. Only about a ten minute walk but you can sure feel it.
At its maximum, the slope of Baldwin Street is approximately (19° or
35%) - that is, for every 2.86 metres travelled horizontally, the
altitude rises by 1 metre.

If distance is 400m. then virtical rise is 139.9 m.

--
skilewis74

Old February 24th 07, 09:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

skilewis74 wrote:
If distance is 400m. then virtical rise is 139.9 m.

You're using 35% as the average grade. It's not, it's the peak grade.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

Finally made it to my (n+1)th post....* TOTALLY AWESOME!!!*

Unicycle For the Chafing

Old February 24th 07, 10:56 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iridemymuni

im sure we have a steeper road over here. i went on it today and it was
horrendus.

how do i measure it to tell what the steepness is?

--
iridemymuni

maker of the happy birthday threads

ive got:

John Childs, Klaas Bill, Kris Holm, Samia, Harper, Bryan Stevens,
Wobbling bear, Mike Swarbrick, Cathwoood, Scott Wallis, Mikefule,
Raphael (jjuggle), James Potter, ITEMNO530, DogBowl, Yoopers,
Habbywall, Terry and Jagur.
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

Old February 24th 07, 11:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
one wheely

On klass bills site i think he tells you how to make a clinometer.

--
one wheely

Why stroll...when you can roll?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!

BillyTheMountain wrote:
End Bike Supremacy! Refuse to be marginalized!!
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem!
*Power to the Unicyclists!! Right on!!*

one wheely's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11955

Old November 26th 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
scott ttocs

I wanted to resurrect this old thread because I have not seen climbing
discussed recently. I am a beginner and I got a piece of advice that I
wanted to pass along to other beginners.

The completely trivial trick for climbing up steep roads is to grab the
seat and pull yourself into the seat as you pedal. I have a paved trail
in the neighborhood I tried to go up and was having no luck--I would
just push myself out of the seat and off the unicycle. When I ran
across this bit of advice, GRAB THE SEAT, I tried it and got up the hill
the first time. Now I can cruise up much steeper hills--it leaves me
exhausted but I do not fall off the unicycle.

All of you experienced riders probably learned this trick years ago,
but it was new to me.

--
scott ttocs
Old November 27th 08, 12:28 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
chuckaeronut

w00t! Seat, handlebar, whatever gets the job done.

Anything to get more than body weight onto the pedals!

--
chuckaeronut

Uni to work to eat to live to uni to work to...!
Old November 27th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

scott ttocs;1138863 wrote:
I wanted to resurrect this old thread because I have not seen climbing
discussed recently. I am a beginner and I got a piece of advice that I
wanted to pass along to other beginners.

The completely trivial trick for climbing up steep roads is to grab the
seat and pull yourself into the seat as you pedal. I have a paved trail
in the neighborhood I tried to go up and was having no luck--I would
just push myself out of the seat and off the unicycle. When I ran
across this bit of advice, GRAB THE SEAT, I tried it and got up the hill
the first time. Now I can cruise up much steeper hills--it leaves me
exhausted but I do not fall off the unicycle.

All of you experienced riders probably learned this trick years ago,
but it was new to me.

I actually pull up very little on my seat. It's like a bike handlebar
to me...if I have to stand up off the pedals, it takes my weight.

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org

need hill climbing advice since10 Unicycling 0 February 20th 07 05:33 AM
climbing Zebee Johnstone Australia 7 July 3rd 06 09:26 PM
Climbing OTB p e t e f a g e r l i n Mountain Biking 26 May 9th 06 03:56 PM
Route advice: CBD to Box Hill Tafe Euan Australia 6 April 12th 06 04:11 AM
Question about hill climbing technique Walrus Australia 14 July 17th 04 12:37 PM