Do you use a mirror and which type?

Old May 31st 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike A Schwab

Default Do you use a mirror and which type?

I use my http://www.reevu.com bicycle style helmet made about
2001/2002. There are a few stores that have them, patent suits have
stopped production for now. They are offering a motorcycle style
helmet with mirror and headphones right now.

Old May 31st 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Pete Derkowski" wrote: (clip)I just bought one of those mirrors that plugs
into the end of the handlebar... I have drop bars.... it just has one pivot
point on it though, (clip)I think an extra pivot point would do the
trick.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think you're supposed to use the round plug that goes into the end of the
handlebar as the other adjustment. That may seem awkward when you are first
setting it, but once you get it, and tighten it, the one pivot they give you
should suffice.

Old May 31st 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SlowRider

On May 31, 12:23 pm, "Pat" wrote:
The Take-a-Look eyeglass mirror is the best one on the market. It's rock
solid with no vibration.

I'll second this. I've got one I've been using for 4-5 years. After
all that time it is still easy to adjust, yet has never seemed loose.
It's very easy to see traffic behind you. Previously I used a
Blackburn helmet-mount, but it vibrated and was hard to adjust
properly. For road riding, the Take-A-Look is hands-down my favorite.

For my commuter MTB, I also like the Zefal Cyclop Mirror. I've tried
other handlebar-mounted mirrors with velcro straps (e.g., Blackburn),
but they were too flimsy. This one mounts right into the bar so it's
stable and solid. I've banged mine into bike racks and other hard
objects without it breaking. I'm sure it's got its limits, but so far
it has been robust.

-JR

Old May 31st 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
oldhickory

I second the Bike Peddler Take A Look . I've used that and Chuck Harris
handmades for many years. You can adjust either to glasses or helmet.

Handlebar mounts vibrate--I find them useless.

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

"Pete Derkowski" wrote in message
I ride a road bike and used a mirror that clips onto the frame of my
glasses - but I found it took quite a lot of time to get the small mirror
'just right' ... to the point where I almost ended up in trouble once
glancing up into the mirror and moving it around more than keeping my eyes
on where I was going.

I just bought one of those mirrors that plugs into the end of the
handlebar... I have drop bars.... it just has one pivot point on it
though, and its OK, but not great... the mirror is a lot bigger (2-3
inches in dia) than the glass frame clip type. I think an extra pivot
point would do the trick.

Wondering what other road riders use... is there a decent mirror that
plugs into the drop bar - choices are limited in my area, so I bought what
I thought was the best I could find.

Pete Derkowski

Old June 1st 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
JP

"DougC" wrote in message
Pete Derkowski wrote:
I ride a road bike and used a mirror that clips onto the frame of my
glasses - but I found it took quite a lot of time to get the small mirror
'just right' ...

I use one like that and generally have no problems with it (Third Eye
eyeglass mirror). It is rigid plastic and has ball joints that eventually
wear out. It takes some practice to know when it's adjusted right--I
usually make sure I can see the edge of my own ear in the mirror. I have
to tilt my head to the side 15-20 degrees to see behind me, but I /can/
watch forwards and backwards at the same time this way.

I tried a few handlebar-mount mirrors once, didn't like any of them. They
all vibrated way too much to give a decent view.
~

I like the Third Eye helmet mirror.
It attaches with velcro tape to the helmet.
I thought that was iffy at first but it's never been a problem.
I'm on my second.
The eyeglass version didn't work for me.

JP

Old June 1st 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
David L. Johnson

Booker C. Bense wrote:

_ I like this one a lot, for me it works better than anything
else I've tried and I've tried a lot of things over the years.

http://tinyurl.com/287ymq

If the URL doesn't work just search for "italian bike mirror" on
Ebay.

I remember seeing these when they came out, but they seem to no longer
be available commercially. Is there anywhere to get them aside from ebay?

--

David L. Johnson

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen and philosophers and divines."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old June 1st 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On May 31, 7:10 am, "Pete Derkowski" wrote:
Wondering what other road riders use...

I use a Third-Eye Pro helmet mirror, mounting it as Sheldon suggests.
It took about a month of regular riding to get used to it. Now I
wouldn't ride (on road) without it.

It has a couple of quirks. One is that I had to super-glue it to the
inside of my helmet to get it to stay put. The second is that the
pivot points weren't strong enough to maintain its position on a long,
fast downhill (too much wind force). I super-glued that also. And
when the helmet is not actually on my head, I have to be very careful
with it or else the mirror may break off (I've re-super-glued it to
the inside of my helmet countless times).

Just my experience.
Tom

Old June 1st 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Rich Clark

"Pete Derkowski" wrote in message

Wondering what other road riders use... is there a decent mirror that
plugs into the drop bar - choices are limited in my area, so I bought what
I thought was the best I could find.

I also endorse the Take-a-Look, which has served me for many years.

There's an initial trick to adjusting and habituating to a mirror like this,
which seems to elude some riders. It's this:

Imagine the outside left rear-view mirror in a car. It's in a fixed
location, and you adjust it so that, from your normal driving position, you
turn your head so that your sightline intersects the mirror at a predictable
angle that provides the desired field of view.

Using a glasses-mount mirror works the same way, except that during the act
of turning your head both the sightline and the mirror are in motion. The
mirror must be adjusted so that when the mirror's motion path and your
sightline intersect, the desired field of view presents itself.

This takes a little bit of practice, but it soon becomes second nature. I
found, all those years ago, that once I'd adjusted the mirror so that the
reflected sightline passed just over my left shoulder, it only took a few
rides before I could move my head and hit the mark predictably, without
thinking about it.

I never ride without my mirror, which I find invaluable whenever I need to
make a leftward move in traffic.

Old June 1st 07, 07:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
bob prohaska's usenet account

Pete Derkowski wrote:

I just bought one of those mirrors that plugs into the end of the
handlebar... I have drop bars.... it just has one pivot point on it though,
and its OK, but not great... the mirror is a lot bigger (2-3 inches in dia)
than the glass frame clip type. I think an extra pivot point would do the
trick.

Wondering what other road riders use... is there a decent mirror that plugs
into the drop bar - choices are limited in my area, so I bought what I
thought was the best I could find.

You might try looking for "mountain mirrycle" (might need to
play with the spelling a bit). I've got several, all on motor
cycles, and they work quite well. On pedal powered two-wheelers
the third-eye mirrors work well on glasses, the helmet mounts
work up to about 50 mph on motorcycles.

hth,

bob prohaska

Old June 1st 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Will

On May 31, 9:44 pm, "Rich Clark" wrote:

Using a glasses-mount mirror works the same way, except that during the act
of turning your head both the sightline and the mirror are in motion.

AND... this is a great benefit because you can "scan" very
effectively, creating a wide field-of-vision simply by moving your
head an inch or two.

I never ride without my mirror, which I find invaluable whenever I need to
make a leftward move in traffic.

I find it very hard to ride without the mirror. I feel a bit blind,
not knowing what's going on "back there'...

how to install bar end mirror (mtb type handle bars)? John Q. Public Techniques 3 October 19th 06 03:31 AM
Mirror Russell UK 48 March 16th 06 11:14 PM
Mirror, mirror, on the bar... SteppenW Australia 27 February 20th 06 02:35 AM
a new mirror Paul Nevai Techniques 12 September 23rd 04 02:44 AM
Mirror? Nartker General 3 May 19th 04 06:41 AM