Help! Stuck Schlumpf Shifter Button

Old October 30th 08, 09:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Default Help! Stuck Schlumpf Shifter Button

Ok, so I've had a few rides on my new Schlumpf and I tightened one
shifter button a little too hard and it's stuck. I can' remove the
little inner screw- I think I might have rounded it off trying.

Not a problem...it's still rideable. At least until today, because now
the crank is loose on that side. I don't know how on earth I'm supposed
to tighten that crank when the Schlumpf button is in the way, and
stuck!!!!

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Ken

p/s Not related to the above, but on the other side, I snapped the
mushroom dome of the Schlumpf button, so all I have is the bit that
screws into the hub

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org
Old October 30th 08, 11:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

I wouldn't know either how to tighten the crank with the button in the
way. Those tiny screws are easily overtightened indeed, I had a similar
issue as well. In my case, the Allen bit snapped during tightening. At
first I didn't notice the snapping, and it felt as if the screw was
rounded. So - make sure your Allen bit is OK. If it is, the only other
option I see is to drill out the little screw and get a replacement,
carefully though or you might damage the threaded hole it sits in! That
or sending it back to Florian who, if he has time, will perform some
magic. Come to think of it, a third option is to ask some magic advice
from Florian.

Not sure I understand what happened at the other side. Was it that the
dome-shaped bigger part of the shifter button broke apart from the stem
with which the button is tightened to the shifter shaft, so you only
have the middle part still on? Man, you're hard on the thing!

--
Klaas Bil
Old October 30th 08, 11:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

GizmoDuck;1121677 wrote:
Ok, so I've had a few rides on my new Schlumpf and I tightened one
shifter button a little too hard and it's stuck. I can' remove the
little inner screw- I think I might have rounded it off trying.

Is the new KH hub, or the original Schlumpf one? I know the original
ones had two grooves in the top of the button and came with a special
tool that fitted in there to hold it still whilst tightening the grub
screw. If that's the case, then you might be able to try to unscrew the
whole button (which will take the grub screw with it) whilst holding the
shattered remains of the other button with some big pliers. For that to
work, however, the grub screw in the other button needs to be tighter
than the one you can't get out.

An alternative would be to take off the broken button, and get hold of
two very small nuts that fit on the shaft. If these are put on far
enough, and tightened against each other, then that will give you a
safer, easier way to hold the shaft whilst unscrewing the button with
the stuck grub screw.

Or else, you could just buy a new hub... and I'll pay the postage for
you to send me the old one

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
Old October 30th 08, 12:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Klaas Bil;1121699 wrote:
[...]

I have emailed Florian. Waiting for an answer but I'm in a bit of a
hurry due to a pending record attempt in a couple of weeks

How could you possibly snap the little inner bolt? Isn't it inside the
button?

I don't think drilling is an option...

And yes, I broke the dome part where it connects to the stem. I
haven't actually ridden the Sclumpf much...probably only about 50-60km
so far. A bit dissapointed that it just fell to bits when I tried to
shift into gear.

Old October 30th 08, 12:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

semach.the.monkey;1121714 wrote:
[...]

It's the new KH Schlumpf hub.

I was considering your first option, but if I tightened the broken grub
screw on the other side, it would just jam that button in there instead
of the one that is currently stuck!

I'm going to see if I can do your second option, but it means finding a
very narrow pair of pliers to grip it I think.

Your third option is not feasible because I need it for a record
attempt in two weeks time. Note that in order to get my KH 36"
rideable, I actually had to buy a second frame because my first (brand
new) frame ended up with a jammed seatpost. (see my earlier post on
using pipe cutters)

Old October 30th 08, 12:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

I'm presuming you've rounded the allen key bolt, so the allen key just
spins in it, it isn't just that it is very tight?

If it is rounded, and unscrewing the other side doesn't loosen it
enough, the only option is to drill it out.

Unless you are very very exact, you need a new button, as you will
destroy the button doing this. I had to do this, and I certainly needed
a new button.

Be careful not to bugger the shifty shaft.

On other possible option is to use an easy-out / screw extractor. They
are a left hand drill bit, basically you drill a little pilot hole with
a normal drill bit, stick the easy out in, turn the drill to reverse,
and they will dig in and unscrew the bolt (thanks to being left hand
thread the drill action loosens the bolt) . You'd need to hold the
button with pliers when you did this, or else it'd just screw it up.
Hardware shops sell them. You'd need a pretty narrow one for a schlumpf
screw though, and they are a bit brittle sometimes, so a bit risky. It
will destroy the screw, but maybe not the button if you're lucky.

http://tinyurl.com/5k2qlj

Joe

--
joemarshall

' old pics' (http://tinyurl.com/56yl2f) 'new zealand pics'
(http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...rshall_photos/) 'new pics'
(http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/joemarshall.org.uk)
'Where have I been riding? (GPS) ' (http://tinyurl.com/6fxw5x)
Old October 31st 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

GizmoDuck;1121730 wrote:
How could you possibly snap the little inner bolt? Isn't it inside the
button?

No I didn't snap the little bolt. When I wrote I snapped the Allen bit,
I actually meant the Allen -bit-. See this pic, which is my broken
one: the thin end broke off while I tightened the little screw. The
Schlumpf procedure says to tighten "very firmly (1.1 Nm)". I don't have
a torque screwdriver so I just guessed how tight it should be. Misguided
by the words "very firmly", I apparently guessed wrong.

When I later tried using this broken tool to undo the little screw
(without realising the tool was amputated), it felt as if either the
screw or the tool was rounded. That's why I wrote "Check if your Allen
tool is OK". Florian sent a replacement Allen bit and all was good.

|Filename: Schlumpf_Allen_tool.jpg |

Klaas Bil
Old October 31st 08, 11:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Klaas Bil;1122373 wrote:
No I didn't snap the little bolt. When I wrote I snapped the Allen bit,
I actually meant the Allen -bit-. See this pic, which is my broken
one: the thin end broke off while I tightened the little screw. The
Schlumpf procedure says to tighten "very firmly (1.1 Nm)". I don't have
a torque screwdriver so I just guessed how tight it should be. Misguided
by the words "very firmly", I apparently guessed wrong.

When I later tried using this broken tool to undo the little screw
(without realising the tool was amputated), it felt as if either the
screw or the tool was rounded. That's why I wrote "Check if your Allen
tool is OK". Florian sent a replacement Allen bit and all was good.

It's for the KH Schlumpf hub, not the Road Schlumpf hub. It uses a
2.5mm allen key instead. Unfortunately, my hub never came with one,
because it was confiscated from UDC by the airport when they were
bringing it back to NZ. Apparently a 2.5mm allen key can be used as an
offensive weapon

Old November 1st 08, 12:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

GizmoDuck;1122484 wrote:
It's for the KH Schlumpf hub, not the Road Schlumpf hub. It uses a
2.5mm allen key instead.

Ah, now we (or at least: I) know that the little screws are different
in the two hubs, because the bit that comes with the road hub is
effectively a 1.5 mm allen key.

I guess then that the KH Schlumpf hub doesn't come with a recommended
tightening torque for that screw? Because to apply a specified torque
you need a bit as opposed to a regular allen key, to put in your torque
screwdriver, right?

--
Klaas Bil
Old November 1st 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Klaas Bil;1122496 wrote:
Ah, now we (or at least: I) know that the little screws are different in
the two hubs, because the bit that comes with the road hub is
effectively a 1.5 mm allen key.

I guess then that the KH Schlumpf hub doesn't come with a recommended
tightening torque for that screw? Because to apply a specified torque
you need a bit as opposed to a regular allen key, to put in your torque
screwdriver, right?

50 Nm

But who on earth carries a torque lever in their toolkit anyway?

I want to throw the damn thing out the window. Just spent the last
hour trying to hold the shfit shaft and unscrew the stuck button, now I
think I've damaged the threads on it.