Corima Aero+ clincher vs Reynolds Assault

Old October 31st 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default Corima Aero+ clincher vs Reynolds Assault

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 17:33:18 -0700, "Jay Beattie"
wrote:

My question is why buy an uber-expensive 1,600 gram carbon fiber wheel
(isn't that the approximate weight with skewers?). I can build a
conventional Aerohead/DuraAce/CXray wheel that is as light, cheaper
and easier to fix --

That's less aero than a good carbon wheel of the same weight. And I
don't understand the "easier" to fix part, at least compared to carbon
wheels that use normal spokes.
Old October 31st 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

wrote:
My question is why buy an uber-expensive 1,600 gram carbon fiber wheel
(isn't that the approximate weight with skewers?). *I can build a
conventional Aerohead/DuraAce/CXray wheel that is as light, cheaper
and easier to fix --

That's less aero than a good carbon wheel of the same weight. *And I
don't understand the "easier" to fix part, at least compared to carbon
wheels that use normal spokes.

Aren't the nipples inside the rim, so you have to take off the tire
and rim strip to tighten the spokes or to change a spoke? That's what
I was thinking of, but I might be misreading the picture. At least the
Corima use standard spokes. As for aero, I wasn't thinking about that
-- probably because I am concerned more about weight where I ride,
which is mostly hills. I can see how agendas may differ there, but I
still wouldn't shell out the money, not unless I were racing again,
and probably not even then. -- Jay Beattie.
Old October 31st 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

wrote:
My question is why buy an uber-expensive 1,600 gram carbon fiber wheel
(isn't that the approximate weight with skewers?). *I can build a
conventional Aerohead/DuraAce/CXray wheel that is as light, cheaper
and easier to fix --

That's less aero than a good carbon wheel of the same weight. *And I
don't understand the "easier" to fix part, at least compared to carbon
wheels that use normal spokes.

Aren't the nipples inside the rim, so you have to take off the tire
and rim strip to tighten the spokes or to change a spoke? That's what
I was thinking of, but I might be misreading the picture. At least the
Corima use standard spokes.

Opps, I'm not familiar with those two wheels and was rather thinking
of Zipps, which true like normal wheels.

That said, that seems a pretty minor issue for a clincher racing
wheel. Especially one with a carbon rim that heavy, which is not
going to move much at all. Maybe once or twice a year at most you'd
need to do that assuming it's used once a weekend?.

As for aero, I wasn't thinking about that
-- probably because I am concerned more about weight where I ride,
which is mostly hills.

In hills (not steep, steep mountains) aero is more important than
weight for racing and vigorous athletic cycling.
Old October 31st 08, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

wrote:
[...]

weight for racing and vigorous athletic cycling.- Hide quoted text -

I'm talking 8-10mph hills for a reasonably strong Cat 3. I don't
call them mountains because they are only a few miles long. We have
mountains, too -- just not on my way home from work. Also, what
advantage do these things have in a cross wind? Is there a penalty in
a cross wind? -- Jay Beattie.
Old October 31st 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 19:59:37 -0700 (PDT), Jay Beattie
wrote:

I'm talking 8-10mph hills for a reasonably strong Cat 3. I don't
call them mountains because they are only a few miles long. We have
mountains, too -- just not on my way home from work. Also, what
advantage do these things have in a cross wind? Is there a penalty in
a cross wind?

Usually an advantage.

Old October 31st 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Dacey

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 18:23:50 -0700 (PDT), Jay Beattie
wrote:

At least the
Corima use standard spokes.

They're not entirely standard. Corima's right rear spokes have their
long axis turned ninety degrees from the conventional orientation of
bladed spokes with "J" heads. See the way the right rear spokes attach
to the hub at Corima's website
(http://www.corima.com/gb/produits/ro...ues_aero.html).

I can't recall if the blade-to-head orientation of front and/or left
rear spokes are normal or are "funny" like their right rears.
-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983 (our 25th year!)
Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
Phone: 305-273-4440
http://www.businesscycles.com
-------------------------------
Old October 31st 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Jay Beattie wrote:
Aren't the nipples inside the rim, so you have to take off the tire
and rim strip to tighten the spokes or to change a spoke? That's what
I was thinking of, but I might be misreading the picture. At least the
Corima use standard spokes. As for aero, I wasn't thinking about that
-- probably because I am concerned more about weight where I ride,
which is mostly hills. I can see how agendas may differ there, but I
still wouldn't shell out the money, not unless I were racing again,
and probably not even then. -- Jay Beattie.

[pedantic mode] I think you mean 'wheel covers' [/pedantic mode]
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old October 31st 08, 12:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Henry

wrote:
At least the
Corima use standard spokes.

They're not entirely standard. Corima's right rear spokes have their
long axis turned ninety degrees from the conventional orientation of
bladed spokes with "J" heads. See the way the right rear spokes attach
to the hub at Corima's website
(http://www.corima.com/gb/produits/ro...ues_aero.html).

*I can't recall if the blade-to-head orientation of front and/or left
rear spokes are normal or are "funny" like their right rears.
-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983 (our 25th year!)
Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
Phone: 305-273-4440http://www.businesscycles.com
-------------------------------

Great to be reminded about the brake issue
The reason for going Clincher is mostly convenience, and if used in a
sportif I'd be able to deal with a puncture. Tubs are expensive
(GP4000 = €75) and only suit racing.
I'm not concerned about having to change brake blocks - these are the
only wheels being used on this bike.
Use is for competition (Cat 3 racing) and sportifs (including Étape,
etc.)
I checked out the Mavic Cosmic Carbone wheels, but they're quire heavy
and I'm not sure about the spoke entry to the carbon faring (doesn't
seem as aero in tests compared to a structural carbon rim).

So I'll ask again; of these two wheels mentioned earlier (Corima Aero+
clincher & Reynolds Assault), has anybody any experience of them?
Old October 31st 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 05:07:42 -0700 (PDT), Henry
wrote:

I'm not concerned about having to change brake blocks - these are the
only wheels being used on this bike.

If that is your main bike to use, don't get such fancy wheels unless
you really have money to burn. Those are special event wheels. I'm
not saying they are especially fragile, but save them for key days.