Bottom Bracket Recommendation?

Old October 29th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Default Bottom Bracket Recommendation?

On Oct 28, 1:50*pm, "
wrote:
On Oct 28, 11:47*am, mark wrote:

Like the subject line says, I'm looking for recommendations from this
august body for a new BB. The bicycle in question is a Marinoni Piuma
purchased in spring 2001, currently equipped with the original
Campagnolo Chorus bottom bracket and (metal, not carbon) Campagnolo
Record crank that's a year or two older than the rest of the bike. The
logo on the left hand Ergo brifter *says "carbon BB system, if that
helps. I've satisfied myself that the ticking noise I've been hearing
all summer is in fact the bottom bracket, so now the question is, what
to do? Options I'm considering a

Service/repair the old BB? The Campagnolo website says I can't, so
this is most likely not an option.

Phil Wood Titanium BB? This is the lightest and most expensive option.

Campagnolo Record BB?

Campag Chorus BB?

Something else?

TIA to all who respond,

mark

Something else isn't an option because no one else makes a bottom
bracket that will work. *Campagnolo uses the ISO taper so you need an
ISO taper bottom bracket. *Not sure there are any others except
Campagnolo, or the Phil. *And this crank needs 102mm length. *Only
Campagnolo and Phil make this length in the ISO taper.

Can you even find square taper Campagnolo bottom brackets anymore?

Still made, very easy to find. 102mm, 111 and 115mm, all still made.

*If
so then go with a Chorus or Record. *No difference. *As for the Phil
titanium, I used another brand of titanium bottom bracket for a
season. *Something about it I did not like. *Can't recall what but I
changed to a Dura Ace 103 mm steel bottom bracket and I'm happier. *If
you go with Phil, get the steel. *And steel cups too, not the
aluminum.

Can't recall if you can pull the bearings and press on new ones to
your Chorus.

Old October 29th 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 29, 6:54*am, " wrote:
On Oct 28, 10:33*pm, mark wrote:

Thanks for the advice, I didn't know about that. I'll try it before I
spend any money.

You're welcome, hope it's cheap (as always!), and just "saving that
poor old guy Vecchio a trip to the keyboard" here g by passing on
his advice.

I used to use teflon tape all the time when I was a working plumber,
never thought to try it on the BB. Well, I didn't know where the click
was coming from-- bad imaginings abounding, "nothing obvious"hhh, and
that was my first sealed Campy BB that worked fine for a good while,
albeit on the track bike (low mileage). Then it started clicking, of
course concurrently with a driveline change, putting a road chainring
on for fixed gear use off the track. I thought it was the 1/8" track
chain on the road width 'ring (and all the experts were wrong about
being able to run road rings with track chain, duh), so bought a new
road chain and road "pitch" cog, and (wait for it...) it clicked
exactly the same as before. Ow!

There is someone up there watching us, and they have a lot of fun
sometimes. Thank you, Peter.

So yeah, you might have to fiddle with it some, NBD, there's plenty on
the roll. *--D-y

You are welcome.......
Old October 30th 08, 03:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 29, 3:03*pm, Qui si parla Campagnolo
wrote:
On Oct 29, 6:54*am, " wrote:

"Thank you Peter"

You are welcome.......

It's a good trick, and like my dad (who started off as a toolmaker's
apprentice at the old Schenectady GE plant) used to say, "Life is all
about knowing the tricks and when to use them".

Teflon tape, along with "pipe dope" (aka lubrication) has solved many
a problem (leaks from sloppy machining, basically) in the plumbing
field alone.

Could have been a broken frame, most anything. If a cure is attempted
and the noise goes away, never to return, we call that "fixed" g.

Fixed is good. Gracias. --D-y

Is the torque on a nutted bottom bracket different than a bolt-onbottom bracket? TomYoung Techniques 3 June 25th 08 09:44 PM
Bottom Bracket help? DI Techniques 3 August 26th 07 05:52 PM
Bottom Bracket? Noel UK 9 February 1st 07 08:55 PM
Bottom Bracket help, please! TomYoung Techniques 4 November 23rd 06 07:45 PM
68 vs 73 bottom bracket? Mark Techniques 31 January 6th 05 03:34 AM