A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Car ban during heat wave



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 30th 18, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,730
Default Car ban during heat wave


Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

Ads
  #2  
Old June 30th 18, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 316
Default Car ban during heat wave

On Saturday, 30 June 2018 18:53:59 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?


Also, many idiots have left children and dogs locked in cars with no windows open.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-herself.html
  #3  
Old June 30th 18, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,730
Default Car ban during heat wave

On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 7:03:27 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Saturday, 30 June 2018 18:53:59 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?


Also, many idiots have left children and dogs locked in cars with no windows open.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-herself.html


My first instinct was to condemn you for posting such a tragic story.
On reflection it just highlights how dangerous cars are.
Obviously the driver meant no harm but due to the inherent danger of cars normal human behaviour can result in innocent deaths.
If the child had been in a bicycle seat this would not have happened.
  #4  
Old July 1st 18, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 316
Default Car ban during heat wave

On Saturday, 30 June 2018 19:30:36 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 7:03:27 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Saturday, 30 June 2018 18:53:59 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?


Also, many idiots have left children and dogs locked in cars with no windows open.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-herself.html


My first instinct was to condemn you for posting such a tragic story.
On reflection it just highlights how dangerous cars are.
Obviously the driver meant no harm but due to the inherent danger of cars normal human behaviour can result in innocent deaths.
If the child had been in a bicycle seat this would not have happened.


To be fair to the cagers, dogs can get heatstroke outside as well as in locked cars.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-weather.html
  #5  
Old July 2nd 18, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,304
Default Car ban during heat wave

On 30/06/18 18:53, Simon Jester wrote:

Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions
motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?


60kW is on the high side. But that's just mechanical energy (which
eventually turns to heat). The total heat output from burning the fuel
is three times that.
  #6  
Old July 2nd 18, 05:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 657
Default Car ban during heat wave

Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

Also, many idiots have left children and dogs locked in cars with no windows open.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-herself.html


My first instinct was to condemn you for posting such a tragic story.
On reflection it just highlights how dangerous cars are.
Obviously the driver meant no harm but due to the inherent danger of cars normal human behaviour can result in innocent deaths.
If the child had been in a bicycle seat this would not have happened.


To be fair to the cagers, dogs can get heatstroke outside as well as in locked cars.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-weather.html


Desert creatures, lizards, snakes, try to avoid being out in the summer heat so you are sharing the road only with your thoughts at this time of the year.

On the down side if you run out of water you waste what little energy you have left trying to chase down a distant cyclist. The cyclist turns out to be a brittle bush. You should know you are losing it but the mind is no longer working.
  #7  
Old July 3rd 18, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,730
Default Car ban during heat wave

On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 6:40:55 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 30/06/18 18:53, Simon Jester wrote:

Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions
motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?


60kW is on the high side. But that's just mechanical energy (which
eventually turns to heat). The total heat output from burning the fuel
is three times that.


All a cars energy comes from burning fuel and all energy becomes heat.
  #8  
Old July 3rd 18, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,304
Default Car ban during heat wave

On 03/07/18 00:01, Simon Jester wrote:
On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 6:40:55 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 30/06/18 18:53, Simon Jester wrote:

Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions
motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?


60kW is on the high side. But that's just mechanical energy (which
eventually turns to heat). The total heat output from burning the fuel
is three times that.


All a cars energy comes from burning fuel and all energy becomes heat.


Indeed. So values are 120kW (3x30, not 3x60) running and 15kW (3x5) idling.
  #9  
Old July 3rd 18, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 316
Default Car ban during heat wave

On Tuesday, 3 July 2018 09:03:10 UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 03/07/18 00:01, Simon Jester wrote:
On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 6:40:55 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 30/06/18 18:53, Simon Jester wrote:

Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions
motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

60kW is on the high side. But that's just mechanical energy (which
eventually turns to heat). The total heat output from burning the fuel
is three times that.


All a cars energy comes from burning fuel and all energy becomes heat.


Indeed. So values are 120kW (3x30, not 3x60) running and 15kW (3x5) idling.


Police are now offering a free car ventilation service!
I am sure M'lud Nuglet would say that this is "criminal damage" in Nugentworld.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-hot-cars.html
  #10  
Old July 3rd 18, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 316
Default Car ban during heat wave

On Tuesday, 3 July 2018 13:36:18 UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, 3 July 2018 09:03:10 UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 03/07/18 00:01, Simon Jester wrote:
On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 6:40:55 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 30/06/18 18:53, Simon Jester wrote:

Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions
motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

60kW is on the high side. But that's just mechanical energy (which
eventually turns to heat). The total heat output from burning the fuel
is three times that.

All a cars energy comes from burning fuel and all energy becomes heat.


Indeed. So values are 120kW (3x30, not 3x60) running and 15kW (3x5) idling.


Police are now offering a free car ventilation service!
I am sure M'lud Nuglet would say that this is "criminal damage" in Nugentworld.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-hot-cars.html


As a cyclist, if a car driver endangers MY life, can I use a D lock to smash HIS window?
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'...a honk and a wave!...' Hell and High Water General 7 October 14th 05 07:06 AM
WTK Value of Rans Wave? Tracer Recumbent Biking 2 August 13th 05 03:09 AM
We're having a heat wave Maggie General 7 February 26th 05 06:50 AM
A friendly wave Chalo General 137 August 30th 04 01:53 AM
Wave if you see this man Not me, someone else UK 2 July 18th 03 12:13 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.