Magicshine 900 light

Old November 13th 09, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
dgk

Default Magicshine 900 light

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:47:54 -0800 (PST), thirty-six
wrote:

On 13 Nov, 16:17, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Nov 13, 1:40*am, Brad wrote:

Hitting even a small stone at a reasonable speed on the road can be
disastrous.

:-) *Warning! *Terror! *Disaster! *Small stones!

There's a few thousand stones on a road nearby which I can ride in the
dark at 18mph (pushing it) they are 4"-5" across and round, it is a
cobblestone road. It's not a lighting problem but a riding and wheel
problem if you cannot traverse stones. Worse wheels were constructed
at the dawn of cycling than are available today which managed on worse
roads than today.

Yes, I have cobblestones near my job and I avoid those streets. But
the difference is that riding on bumpy ground is one thing, riding on
smooth streets and hitting an unexpected rock in the dark is something
else.
Old November 13th 09, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

On Nov 13, 1:40*am, Brad wrote:

Hitting even a small stone at a reasonable speed on the road can be
disastrous.

:-) *Warning! *Terror! *Disaster! *Small stones!

There's a few thousand stones on a road nearby which I can ride in the
dark at 18mph (pushing it) they are 4"-5" across and round, it is a
cobblestone road. *It's not a lighting problem but a riding and wheel
problem if you cannot traverse stones. *Worse wheels were constructed
at the dawn of cycling than are available today which managed on worse
roads than today.

Yes, I have cobblestones near my job and I avoid those streets. But
the difference is that riding on bumpy ground is one thing, riding on
smooth streets and hitting an unexpected rock in the dark is something
else.

I do understand you, I was just mouthing off. If you tailor the
radial rigidity of the wheel to effect quicker and more comfortable
riding on the cobbles then you bike will be better prepared to
traverse a solitary stone on a smooth road. Unwind all the nipples of
the front wheel by a turn and retry the cobbled road. If the wheel
maintains stability ride harder. If you cant make the wheel mistrack
with increased speed then knock off another turn. When you can make
the wheel mistrack at high speed, add on a quarter turn of nipple, and
repeat if necessary to regain stability.

Once you have this wheel set correctly rub in some beeswax into the
nipples so that they dont vibrate loose. Stainless spokes can be
particularly susceptible to vibration and so some form of cement
(boiled linseed oil is another) must be used to hold the nipples with
a correctly tensioned wheel with stainless spokes.

Then do your rear wheel in the same manner. You will know when the
wheel loses stability, it feels as if you are carrying a loose load
and it is swinging around. If after performing these changes you
still are unhinged by a solitary stone, then use a bigger tyre.