Correction: Will Paraffin WAX Harm Rubber?

Old October 26th 09, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
AMuzi

Default Correction: Will Paraffin WAX Harm Rubber?

Joe wrote:
If I put a thin coating of paraffin WAX on some tire mounting tools, or on
a clincher rim to help slip the tire onto the rim, can the paraffin WAX
react with the rubber and cause it to rot, like oil does to rubber?

Won't hurt. Probably won't help much either as it will
abrade away in use, much as the waxy 'mold release' flakes
away from a new tire.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old October 26th 09, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
It's Chris

Parrafin wax is as inert as petrolatum (Vaseline) There's damn little it
will react with, if anything! It will leave spots on paper, but that's
about it.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner FINAL WEEK!

Old October 26th 09, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Joe

If I put a thin coating of paraffin WAX on some tire mounting tools, or on
a clincher rim to help slip the tire onto the rim, can the paraffin WAX
react with the rubber and cause it to rot, like oil does to rubber?

Thanks.

--- Joe
Old October 26th 09, 03:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Joe wrote:
If I put a thin coating of paraffin WAX on some tire mounting tools, or on
a clincher rim to help slip the tire onto the rim, can the paraffin WAX
react with the rubber and cause it to rot, like oil does to rubber?

Thanks.

--- Joe

I doubt that paraffin will do any harm except helping the tire also slip
off the rim, perhaps when you don't want it to.
Old October 26th 09, 04:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Dan O

On Oct 25, 8:04 pm, Peter Cole wrote:
Joe wrote:
If I put a thin coating of paraffin WAX on some tire mounting tools, or on
a clincher rim to help slip the tire onto the rim, can the paraffin WAX
react with the rubber and cause it to rot, like oil does to rubber?

Thanks.

--- Joe

I doubt that paraffin will do any harm except helping the tire also slip
off the rim, perhaps when you don't want it to.

Don't put Armor All on your saddle, either :-)
Old October 26th 09, 05:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

Joe wrote:

If I put a thin coating of paraffin WAX on some tire mounting tools, or on
a clincher rim to help slip the tire onto the rim, can the paraffin WAX
react with the rubber and cause it to rot, like oil does to rubber?

No.
Old October 26th 09, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Date: Sun, Oct 25, 2009, 11:04pm
From: (Peter Cole)

I doubt that paraffin will do any harm
except helping the tire also slip off the
rim, perhaps when you don't want it to.

Somehow I doubt that, unless you try to make a hard turn when it's flat
or nearly so. Almost all rims made in the past ten years (on good bikes,
at least) are of the hook bead variety, and todays tires fit so tightly
that you have to use tools to get them ON, let alone getting them off
again. (despite the books and directions saying you shouldn't do this).

This is why I stubbornly stick with the older box-channel design: It
lets me mount and dismount my tires without tools as I can squeeze the
beads together and shove them down into the channel.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner G'BYE :-3(

I have 15 or so (family) bikes of varying vintages, wheel sizes, and a
big collection of tires. While I don't doubt that some rim/tire combos
can be a fight, it's rare enough that I question the need to lubricate
the bead. I wouldn't ride with a tire like that as I'd be afraid that
fixing a flat roadside would be a problem. I've never had to use a tool
to get a tire on that I can recall. The only thing keeping a tire on is
bead friction, I wouldn't lower that intentionally, blowoffs happen.
Old October 27th 09, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Norman

On Oct 25, 9:07*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Joe wrote:
If I put a thin coating of paraffin WAX on some tire mounting tools, or on
a clincher rim to help slip the tire onto the rim, can the paraffin WAX
react with the rubber and cause it to rot, like oil does to rubber?

Won't hurt. Probably won't help much either as it will
abrade away in use, much as the waxy 'mold release' flakes
away from a new tire.

Ear-wax doesn't exploit coals (like coal-tar derivatives) nor does
it deplete the West Virginer bee mines like beeswax. & cats like
the flavour, too.

Will Paraffin Harm Rubber? Joe General 0 October 26th 09 01:22 AM
Any harm in retorqueing screws Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 12 September 10th 09 01:42 AM
Mountain Bikers Prefer to Attack Me, Rather than Discuss the Harm that Mountain Biking Does! Mike Vandeman Social Issues 61 August 3rd 08 09:50 PM
Will using this harm the bike? EasyCompany General 7 December 15th 07 02:47 PM
Does Vaseline harm Brooks saddles? TomYoung Techniques 5 June 11th 05 03:50 PM