Recumbents in NYC?

Old October 29th 09, 04:39 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Edward Dolan

Default Recumbents in NYC?

"Simon Lewis" wrote in message
landotter writes:

[...]
Put out some noise on craigslist. Bent riders will bend backwards to
bring you into the fold and likely offer you test rides and advice.

If you're not American that sounds pretty funny.

In English terms a "Bent Rider" would be a homosexual one.

I do not like the term 'bent' either. What is this mania for shortening all
words if possible. 'Recumbent' is a perfectly good word for describing the
kind of bicycles that we ride even though we are not actually in a recumbent
position. We are in a semi-recumbent position.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old October 29th 09, 04:48 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:

The very best places for cyclists to enjoy their rides are in small towns.
You will be safer there and still be able to do a lot of miles.

I like riding in my hometown medium-sized city, 'cuz
it affords places to go to and, things to do.

Riding here in Vancouver BC is as safe as you make it.

Tell yuh what: I've come to hate riding through the
wilderness for the sole purpose of getting to the
other end, and then heading home again. I already
know what a bunch of trees looks like.

A lot of empty miles is a waste of my time.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old October 29th 09, 05:51 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Edward Dolan

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:

The very best places for cyclists to enjoy their rides are in small
towns.
You will be safer there and still be able to do a lot of miles.

I like riding in my hometown medium-sized city, 'cuz
it affords places to go to and, things to do.

Riding here in Vancouver BC is as safe as you make it.

Tell yuh what: I've come to hate riding through the
wilderness for the sole purpose of getting to the
other end, and then heading home again. I already
know what a bunch of trees looks like.

A lot of empty miles is a waste of my time.

I think Tom Keats and I are on the same page here. I prefer to ride my bike
around town too as opposed to riding in the countryside. Almost any town
will present plenty of opportunities to create a ride that is both enjoyable
and interesting. Once I leave town, I have got to be going somewhere or else
it is a waste of time and energy.

Look at this way - folks have spend most of their lives caring for their
houses and properties. Is it not worthwhile to have a closer look at what is
the result of all this time and effort. In fact, I would say slow down so
you can get a better look at it all. Just riding your bike to pile up the
miles is a form of insanity.

Indeed ... places to go and things to see and do! Your hometown!

Old October 29th 09, 12:17 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Bauman

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:03:28 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

A couple of months ago, I injured my back. I'm just graduating from PT
(physical therapy) and returning to the world of the living. I need to
find some sort of exercise to replace the PT, but can't see myself
getting back on my old road bike (a Fuji 12-speed which has served me
well for probably 25 years).

I "rode" a stationary recumbent in the gym as part of PT and found it
comfortable. Now I'm thinking of one that's got wheels and moves and
all that good stuff.

I stopped by Metro Cycle in New Rochelle today, but they don't have any.
Doesn't sound like there's much demand. Any place in the NYC area
(preferably Westchester or The Bronx) where I can go see some and take
one for a test ride?

I came up with the following link after googling.

http://www.nycrecumbentsupply.com/

It does mean traveling off the mainland to Brooklyn.

Stephen Bauman
Old October 29th 09, 02:04 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Roy Smith

In article ,
Stephen Bauman wrote:

http://www.nycrecumbentsupply.com/

Cool, thanks!
Old October 29th 09, 06:54 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Norman

On Oct 29, 12:34*am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
I personally would not enjoy cycling in NYC except on the bike paths. Why
would anyone want to play Russian roulette on a bicycle with motor vehicles
on those mean streets of NYC?

The very best places for cyclists to enjoy their rides are in small towns..
You will be safer there and still be able to do a lot of miles.

It's like a trout farm: no salmon. The greatest danger in
NYC is from food delivery bicycles swimming upstream
in the bike lanes.

At least in the country, you only have to deal with the oc-
casional 40ft wing disc or the odd jd7720, shoulderless
roads, and 5ft deep ditches to duck into when that grain
buggy comes whippin' past at 85mph.
Old October 29th 09, 07:31 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Edward Dolan

"Norman" wrote in message
On Oct 29, 12:34 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
I personally would not enjoy cycling in NYC except on the bike paths. Why
would anyone want to play Russian roulette on a bicycle with motor
vehicles
on those mean streets of NYC?

The very best places for cyclists to enjoy their rides are in small towns.
You will be safer there and still be able to do a lot of miles.

It's like a trout farm: no salmon. The greatest danger in

NYC is from food delivery bicycles swimming upstream
in the bike lanes.

At least in the country, you only have to deal with the oc-

casional 40ft wing disc or the odd jd7720, shoulderless
roads, and 5ft deep ditches to duck into when that grain
buggy comes whippin' past at 85mph.

There are plenty of dangers in riding rural roads, but small town streets
are comparatively quite safe. By far the biggest danger riding almost
anywhere are the drunk drivers. After they hit you, they will say, without
any exceptions, that they did not see you. It is why I am death on drunk
drivers. They should be executed on the spot with a pistol shot to their
stupid heads.

Old October 30th 09, 02:01 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Baka

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:

[...]

Well, Mr. Ed,
We are on the same page then. I go out to enjoy the ride, meet people,
and explore side streets I might never even have seen in the car. Many
of my tools are road kill specials that fell out of some red necks'
truck and bounced into the weeds. I hate riding the same roads over and
over and I am not in training for anything more than my own health, so
what if I average 20 MPH and talk to nobody or 10 MPH and stop at every
little hint of a sale, I am enjoying myself and staying fit. I have 39
years left in 'my' Century and want them to be more than saddle sore and
sweaty showers every day.
Trees?
California sucks for trees in the central valley since they were cut
down for all the damned rice farming, so when I find a tree, I take time
to enjoy the shade.
As for Minnesota, I have lived there and vacationed there many times,
and the trees are so nice after the City, why are you complaining??

Bill Baka
Old October 30th 09, 02:34 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Edward Dolan

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:

[...]

Look at it this way - folks have spent most of their lives caring for
their houses and properties. Is it not worthwhile to have a closer look
at what is the result of all this time and effort. In fact, I would say
slow down so you can get a better look at it. Just riding your bike to
pile up the miles is a form of insanity.

Indeed ... places to go and things to see and do! Your hometown!

Well, Mr. Ed,
We are on the same page then. I go out to enjoy the ride, meet people, and
explore side streets I might never even have seen in the car. Many of my
tools are road kill specials that fell out of some red necks' truck and
bounced into the weeds. I hate riding the same roads over and over and I
am not in training for anything more than my own health, so what if I
average 20 MPH and talk to nobody or 10 MPH and stop at every little hint
of a sale, I am enjoying myself and staying fit. I have 39 years left in
'my' Century and want them to be more than saddle sore and sweaty showers
every day.

Well, Bill, have I not said many times before that you are a genius and a
wise man just like me. It is only us older guys who have any sense.

Trees?
California sucks for trees in the central valley since they were cut down
for all the damned rice farming, so when I find a tree, I take time to
enjoy the shade.
As for Minnesota, I have lived there and vacationed there many times, and
the trees are so nice after the City, why are you complaining??

It is only the weather here that I do not like. I consider California a
paradise compared to Minnesota. The summers here go by like quicksilver, but
the winters seem to last forever. Frankly, I do not recommend Minnesota to
anyone who likes the out of doors.

Old October 30th 09, 02:46 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Edward Dolan

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
[...]
California sucks for trees in the central valley since they were cut down
for all the damned rice farming, so when I find a tree, I take time to
enjoy the shade.
As for Minnesota, I have lived there and vacationed there many times, and
the trees are so nice after the City, why are you complaining??

Bill Baka

Bill, nobody loves trees more than I do. I not only LOOK at them, but I want
to know all about their genera and species. In fact, I carry little books on
me which will help me to identify them. Plants are fully as interesting to
me as animals. Sometimes I think I should have gone into botany instead of
librarianship. I am just a naturalist at heart.

Best Regards,

UK recumbents?? Paul - xxx[_2_] UK 11 April 6th 09 09:03 AM
TdF and recumbents Pat[_13_] Techniques 237 August 6th 08 02:50 AM
New to Recumbents DJM Recumbent Biking 2 June 8th 08 06:52 PM
Recumbents, where are they? Duram Recumbent Biking 10 January 31st 07 08:02 PM
Recumbents Wayne Recumbent Biking 0 December 21st 05 04:30 AM