Paraffin vs Paraffin WAX

Old October 30th 09, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Baka

Default Paraffin vs Paraffin WAX

Simon Lewis wrote:
Norman writes:

On Oct 29, 12:43 am, Bill Baka wrote:
Bill Baka wrote:
Chalo wrote:
Clive George wrote:
Chalo wrote:
Both terms, "paraffin" and "naphtha" encompass a range of chemicals.
Methane (gas) is a paraffin, for instance, along with candle wax
(solid) and, as you note, kerosene (liquid).
Interesting.
Methane is an 'ane', CH3, Hexane is an 'ane' C6H14, Octane is C8H16, etc.
Correcting myself. Methane is CH4, not CH3. Got a little keyboard happy.

Paraffins are CnH2n+2 straight chains. (octane would be C8H18)

Naphthenes are saturated cycloids (perhaps with naphthenic or
paraffinic
side-chains) of CnH2n form.

Benzine (C6H6) & its derivatives are their own class.

Everything else is being pointed at and laughed at right now.
Seriously.

Bill Baka once won a Nobel prize for chemistry. He remembers it because
he had to cycle 878 km against a tornado using one pedal on a bike Eddy
Merkx had asked him to build in order to collect the award.. Because of
a chance encounter with a Yeti, Bill was late picking it up before he
returned home and rebuilt the engine of his 1928 Bugatti using only chewing
gum and a coat hanger.

Yes. He really is that accomplished.

You forgot the 'Duck' tape and liquid rubber RTV stuff.
Funny, I actually have cycled through a *tornado* or dustnado as we call
them here. Kind of an F-1/2 but all the cut straw whipping through the
air and hitting me in the face was no fun.
If I owned a 1928 Bugatti (Royal) I would not be here, but pulling a Jay
Leno and driving it with a big grin.
Jay almost flattened me with his Stanley Steamer cruising the parking
lot of Hollywood-Burbank airport in 2001 on a Sunday flight arrival.
Hell of a way to meet Jay and see his steamer, but we just kind of
"Ooops.",...."My bad." and went on our ways.
Back to sanity.
Bill Baka
Old October 30th 09, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Baka

Clive George wrote:
"Bill Baka" wrote in message

Maybe I should brush up on chemistry now?

Sounds like a plan.

I'm currently using Acetone as an organic solvent replacement for Hexanes,
65 degrees 'C' boiling point for both, but Acetone will mix with water and
Hexanes won't.

Yup. And acetone will attack much more stuff than hexanes. They're
significantly different chemicals.

I know that but Acetone is easy to get and if I walk into any store
around here and ask for Hexanes I will get blank stares. Besides that
there is cost, and Acetone is $8 quart, while the basic reagent grade
n-Hexanes is about $90 per Liter/Litre, and may require a HAZMAT
certification to have shipped to me.
I can just evaporate the Acetone and not cry over it but the Hexanes are
too expensive to waste.
Bill Baka
Old October 30th 09, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Dan C

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 19:25:04 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

Bill Baka wrote:
Chalo wrote:
Clive George wrote:
Chalo wrote:
[...]

Jesus. Compulsive. Liar.

How do you make this **** up, Bill?

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.
Old October 30th 09, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Michael Press

In article ,
"Clive George" wrote:

"Michael Press" wrote in message

We have always had (a) culture. You just do not like it.

What's the difference between Yogurt and USians? :-)

What is the difference between limes and lemons?
Lemons prevent scurvy, limes do not.

--
Michael Press
Old October 30th 09, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Clive George

"Michael Press" wrote in message

What is the difference between limes and lemons?
Lemons prevent scurvy, limes do not.

Looking up that was interesting. It seems that the navy actually started out
with lemons, but at the time those were called limes, and the original
success of the juice was tempered by later use of actual limes and the
preparation of the juice.

Limes will prevent scurvy, just not in the quantities prescribed at some
points.

Old October 30th 09, 11:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

On 30 Oct, 02:33, Bill Baka wrote:
Clive George wrote:
"Bill Baka" wrote in message

Maybe I should brush up on chemistry now?

Sounds like a plan.

I'm currently using Acetone as an organic solvent replacement for Hexanes,
65 degrees 'C' boiling point for both, but Acetone will mix with water and
Hexanes won't.

Yup. And acetone will attack much more stuff than hexanes. They're
significantly different chemicals.

I know that but Acetone is easy to get and if I walk into any store
around here and ask for Hexanes I will get blank stares. Besides that
there is cost, and Acetone is $8 quart, while the basic reagent grade
n-Hexanes is about $90 per Liter/Litre, and may require a HAZMAT
certification to have shipped to me.
I can just evaporate the Acetone and not cry over it but the Hexanes are
too expensive to waste.
Bill Baka

Nail varnish remover 250ml for £0.59 Mostly acetone, includes some
water and usually a bittering agent and sometimes glycerine. So if
you dont need to be fussy of purity, this is the way to go. I'm
assuming you wish to use it for cold start duties considering your
declared aptitude with engines.
Old October 30th 09, 11:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

On 30 Oct, 04:51, "Clive George" wrote:
"Michael Press" wrote in message

What is the difference between limes and lemons?
Lemons prevent scurvy, limes do not.

Looking up that was interesting. It seems that the navy actually started out
with lemons, but at the time those were called limes, and the original
success of the juice was tempered by later use of actual limes and the
preparation of the juice.

Limes will prevent scurvy, just not in the quantities prescribed at some
points.

Limes are not susceptible to mould as are lemons. Dont know why but
leave a cut lemon and a cut lime in the same refrigerator for long
enough and the Lemon gets the mould, not the lime. No mouldy lemons
round here. Use the bottled stuff, it contains preservative.
Old October 30th 09, 12:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
"Clive George" wrote:

"Michael Press" wrote in message

We have always had (a) culture. You just do not like it.

What's the difference between Yogurt and USians? :-)

What is the difference between limes and lemons?
Lemons prevent scurvy, limes do not.

Where did you get that?
Old October 30th 09, 01:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Dan C

Clive George wrote:
"Bill Baka" wrote in message

[...]

No, he just likes to breathe the fumes, to help him imagine his latest
bull**** story.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.