Ed Dolan the Great and the Long Goodbye

Old November 7th 09, 01:15 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_2_]

Default Ed Dolan the Great and the Long Goodbye

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 01:27:29 -0800, in rec.bicycles.tech Michael Press
wrote:

No. Recast. Recasting is the way to resolve almost every
grammatical question.

You are the greater genius.
I am the greater genius.

NOT

Me is the greater genius.

But that approach would also give you: "The greater genius is me."

I've tried that rule... it gives you whatever you want. For that
matter, so do the handbooks of style... maybe it's just a stylistic
thing. I'd use objective; however, I won't scream if you choose
otherwise.

Jones

Old November 7th 09, 01:20 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_2_]

On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 11:58:11 -0500, in rec.bicycles.tech * Still Just
Me * wrote:

But you can't be, I is!

You will see some obscure rule stating that: when a pronoun follows a
form of the verb "to be" and renames the subject, it takes the
subjective form of the pronoun... i.e.: "I" versus "me".

Thus: "It is I," is correct by that rule even though the first-person
pronoun is an object in the sentence. If I were writing a formal
paper, I'd have to live with that because I always try to write good.

Jones

Old November 7th 09, 01:44 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Me * wrote:

But you can't be, I is!

You will see some obscure rule stating that: when a pronoun follows a
form of the verb "to be" and renames the subject, it takes the
subjective form of the pronoun... i.e.: "I" versus "me".

Thus: "It is I," is correct by that rule even though the first-person
pronoun is an object in the sentence. If I were writing a formal
paper, I'd have to live with that because I always try to write good.

An uncommon quality:

http://www.hemmy.net/2007/10/26/why-...-from-walmart/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old November 7th 09, 01:49 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

"!Jones" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 18:19:17 -0600, in rec.bicycles.tech "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

So, dazzle me, Ed... say something profound! Here's your big chance!
If I'm impressed, then I will acknowledge genius when I recognize it.

You have 15,000 messages to read. I suggest you begin right away if you
are
ever going to get up to speed.

Hi, Ed... sorry if I'm not right back to you in 8 minutes. I
appreciate your prompt replies; however, *I* have a job, a wife, and a
life, all of which demand my attention.

A wife should not demand any attention other than a good swift kick in the
ass every now and then. If your job demands much attention, then you are in
over your head. As for your life, just contemplate your navel. That will
tell you all you will ever have to know.

Now, I am not going to rummage through ancient history. I am not
going to deny that you may, in fact, be a genius; however, the burden
of proof remains squarely in your court... I will leave myself open to
that possibility.

Yes, it could be true...

Ladies and gentlemen, you saw it here in... wherever we are... some
cycling newsgroup, massively cross-posted. We stand in the presence
of genius.

OK, Ed... here's your big chance... nail my ass! Say something
*REALLY* profound!!!

Here it is, just 10 words, but it sums up all the wisdom in the world.

"Once I wasn't, then I was, now I ain't again."

- Epitaph found on tombstone in Ohio graveyard

I'm a genius sometimes... I just can't produce it on demand and that's
the mark of a real one, you know.

How does anyone smart every impress anyone who is a moron?

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old November 7th 09, 04:39 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Opus[_2_]

On Nov 7, 1:49 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
snip
How does anyone smart every impress anyone who is a moron?

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Deeds Ed, deeds. Whenever someone tells me to "Do something smart!" I
just walk away.
Old November 8th 09, 09:49 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_2_]

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 19:49:42 -0600, in rec.bicycles.tech "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

Hi, Ed... sorry if I'm not right back to you in 8 minutes. I
appreciate your prompt replies; however, *I* have a job, a wife, and a
life, all of which demand my attention.

A wife should not demand any attention other than a good swift kick in the
ass every now and then. If your job demands much attention, then you are in
over your head. As for your life, just contemplate your navel. That will
tell you all you will ever have to know.

I see that you're a single, and, most likely, unemployed genius.

Now, I am not going to rummage through ancient history. I am not
going to deny that you may, in fact, be a genius; however, the burden
of proof remains squarely in your court... I will leave myself open to
that possibility.

Yes, it could be true...

Ladies and gentlemen, you saw it here in... wherever we are... some
cycling newsgroup, massively cross-posted. We stand in the presence
of genius.

OK, Ed... here's your big chance... nail my ass! Say something
*REALLY* profound!!!

Here it is, just 10 words, but it sums up all the wisdom in the world.

"Once I wasn't, then I was, now I ain't again."

[...]
How does anyone smart every impress anyone who is a moron?

Well, Ed, I try to keep an open mind. I suppose my question is: How
can I differentiate a genius from the rest of the people on the group?
Of course, you tell me that you're a genius; however, you wouldn't
*believe* how many times that's happened.

To address your question: I suppose that you should start with some
original writing. Quoting someone's epitaph isn't a mark of genius.
Personally, I like visiting old cemeteries and reading epitaphs,
too... does *that* make me a genius?

Jones

Old November 9th 09, 01:56 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

news
wrote:
Here it is, just 10 words, but it sums up all the wisdom in the world.

"Once I wasn't, then I was, now I ain't again."

[...]
How does anyone smart every impress anyone who is a moron?

Well, Ed, I try to keep an open mind. I suppose my question is: How
can I differentiate a genius from the rest of the people on the group?
Of course, you tell me that you're a genius; however, you wouldn't
*believe* how many times that's happened.

To address your question: I suppose that you should start with some
original writing. Quoting someone's epitaph isn't a mark of genius.
Personally, I like visiting old cemeteries and reading epitaphs,
too... does *that* make me a genius?

It does if you can separate the seed from the chaff. Original writing is
vastly overrated and so is original thought. It is quite enough to be able
to intelligently select what is fine to make one a genius. It explains why
some think Beethoven's last quartets are fine while others think
Wellington's Victory is fine. It is also explains why my epitaph will be
infinity superior to any that you can find. All that counts is the ability
to make discriminations, and the finer the discrimination, the greater the
genius.

Old November 9th 09, 08:47 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

wrote:

[...]

Now you went and made me do it.

Gen"ius (?), n.; pl. E. Geniuses (#); in sense 1, L.
Genii (#). [L. genius, prop., the superior or divine
nature which is innate in everything, the spirit, the
tutelar deity or genius of a person or place, taste,
talent, genius, from genere, gignere, to beget, bring
forth. See Gender, and cf. Engine.]

1. A good or evil spirit, or demon, supposed by the
ancients to preside over a man's destiny in life; a
tutelary deity; a supernatural being; a spirit, good or
bad. Cf. Jinnee.

The unseen genius of the wood. Milton.

We talk of genius still, but with thought how changed!
The genius of Augustus was a tutelary demon, to be
sworn by and to receive offerings on an altar as a
deity. Tylor.

That makes you the tutelar genius of cemeteries.

--
Michael Press
Old November 9th 09, 08:47 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

wrote:

No. Recast. Recasting is the way to resolve almost every
grammatical question.

You are the greater genius.
I am the greater genius.

NOT

Me is the greater genius.

But that approach would also give you: "The greater genius is me."

I've tried that rule... it gives you whatever you want. For that
matter, so do the handbooks of style... maybe it's just a stylistic
thing. I'd use objective; however, I won't scream if you choose
otherwise.

Okay. I am right and you are wrong.

--
Michael Press
Old November 9th 09, 08:49 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

Me * wrote:

But you can't be, I is!

You will see some obscure rule stating that: when a pronoun follows a
form of the verb "to be" and renames the subject, it takes the
subjective form of the pronoun... i.e.: "I" versus "me".

But not for transitive verbs, such as

Thus: "It is I," is correct by that rule even though the first-person

`is'.

Ed Dolan the Great JimmyMac General 1 September 26th 07 01:57 PM
Ed Dolan the Great JimmyMac Recumbent Biking 1 September 26th 07 01:57 PM
Ed Dolan the Great JimmyMac Social Issues 0 September 26th 07 01:57 PM
Ed Dolan the Great is Fed Up! Edward Dolan Recumbent Biking 64 May 9th 06 06:53 PM