Ed Dolan the Great and the Long Goodbye

Old November 11th 09, 01:31 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Ed Dolan the Great and the Long Goodbye

On Nov 9, 1:56*am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"!Jones" wrote in message

news

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 19:49:42 -0600, in rec.bicycles.tech "Edward Dolan"
wrote:
Here it is, just 10 words, but it sums up all the wisdom in the world.

"Once I wasn't, then I was, now I ain't again."

[...]
How does *anyone smart every impress anyone who is a moron?

Well, Ed, I try to keep an open mind. *I suppose my question is: How
can I differentiate a genius from the rest of the people on the group?
Of course, you tell me that you're a genius; however, you wouldn't
*believe* how many times that's happened.

To address your question: I suppose that you should start with some
original writing. *Quoting someone's epitaph isn't a mark of genius.
Personally, I like visiting old cemeteries and reading epitaphs,
too... does *that* make me a genius?

It does if you can separate the seed from the chaff. Original writing is
vastly overrated and so is original thought. It is quite enough to be able
to intelligently select what is fine to make one a genius. It explains why
some think Beethoven's last quartets are fine while others think
Wellington's Victory is fine. It is also explains why my epitaph will be
infinity superior to any that you can find. All that counts is the ability
to make discriminations, and the finer the discrimination, the greater the
genius.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Gee, Eddie, that's the finest (and the shortest) apologia for a failed
artist I've ever heard. Man. I've heard thousands, and you just capped
them all.

Reminds me of the designer of several significant Aston Martins, a
chum of one of my editors, exclaiming one night in a bar, "We are in
the presence of much genius!" He swept his arm across the bar and
explained, "There are at least five fellows over there who each by
himself designed the Austin-Healey 3000!"

Andre Jute
Pay attention to what I say or tomorrow you will not remember what I
said -- and Google will have lost it.
Old November 11th 09, 02:13 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_2_]

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:32:29 +0100, in rec.bicycles.tech Simon Lewis
wrote:

!Jones writes:

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 21:02:47 -0600, in rec.bicycles.tech "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

You are the idiot...

Well, I am never reduced to screaming and name-calling. I am quite
able to have a perfectly civil discussion involving a person or
persons with whom I disagree. The interesting point, here, is that I
have never particularly disagreed with you!

Between him and Bill Baka, these groups have been pulled to their
knees. Two more objectionable, nasty people it would be hard to find.

Oh, Ed is really pretty mild by the standards of what I've seen
elsewhere. I can cite quite a few more objectionable posters just off
the top of my head if I'm allowed to span Usenet. Now, that said,
based on my limited exposure, I don't think I'd go out of my way to
read his nonsense; however, that applies to *lots* of people... and
I'm sure it's reciprocal. OTOH, I have yet to meet the person who
ever tried to force me to read anything when I had set my
determination otherwise.

Jones

Old November 11th 09, 03:15 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

wrote:

You are the idiot...

Well, I am never reduced to screaming and name-calling. I am quite
able to have a perfectly civil discussion involving a person or
persons with whom I disagree. The interesting point, here, is that I
have never particularly disagreed with you!

Between him and Bill Baka, these groups have been pulled to their
knees. Two more objectionable, nasty people it would be hard to find.

Simon Lewis needs to know that jealousy of one's superiors is not an
admirable vice. Why not get another vice instead that does not involve
anyone else.

Simon Lewis has never to my knowledge ever written anything to Usenet that
anyone would ever want to read. By the way, that is what is wrong with these
cycling newsgroups. No one ever says anything that is the least bit
interesting. The boredom is excruciating and unending.

Ed Dolan the Great JimmyMac General 1 September 26th 07 01:57 PM
Ed Dolan the Great JimmyMac Recumbent Biking 1 September 26th 07 01:57 PM
Ed Dolan the Great JimmyMac Social Issues 0 September 26th 07 01:57 PM
Ed Dolan the Great is Fed Up! Edward Dolan Recumbent Biking 64 May 9th 06 06:53 PM