tiem to buy my bent today and already thinking of upgrades.

Old October 20th 04, 04:24 PM
Steve Knight

Default tiem to buy my bent today and already thinking of upgrades.

it's hard to get higher end parts on most bents unless you spend far more
upfront. atleast that's the way it seems.
I am getting a burley limbo and I could see some changes. it comes with those
cheap shimano cable housings. I would think getting good quality housing would
improve things since there is so much of it.
not sure if I like the grip shifters. they are so weird too me. maybe something
better quality? I usually only spend money on upgrades that have a real benefit.
that make shifting and braking feel great and responsive.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 20th 04, 04:40 PM
Peter Clinch

Steve Knight wrote:

better quality? I usually only spend money on upgrades that have a real benefit.
that make shifting and braking feel great and responsive.

Ever tried Magura hydraulic rim brakes? They are IME much more
responsive than any cable braking system I've ever tried, and the
maintenance is much less of an issue too. I just wish I'd had them
fitted as a standard option when I bought the bike rather than have them
retroftted after a couple of years.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old October 20th 04, 05:21 PM
Steve Knight

Ever tried Magura hydraulic rim brakes? They are IME much more
responsive than any cable braking system I've ever tried, and the
maintenance is much less of an issue too. I just wish I'd had them
fitted as a standard option when I bought the bike rather than have them
retroftted after a couple of years.

now that's a good idea. a bit spendy about 150.00 on ebay and all of the extra
hose to fit the bike. any paying someone to install them.
but that's something I will think about. what good shifters to use with them
then?

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 21st 04, 02:10 AM
Tom Sherman

Steve Knight wrote:

it's hard to get higher end parts on most bents unless you spend far more
upfront. atleast that's the way it seems.
I am getting a burley limbo and I could see some changes. it comes with those
cheap shimano cable housings. I would think getting good quality housing would
improve things since there is so much of it.
not sure if I like the grip shifters. they are so weird too me. maybe something
better quality? I usually only spend money on upgrades that have a real benefit.
that make shifting and braking feel great and responsive.

Kool Stop "salmon" pads are a must unless you want to wear out the stock
rims in a hurry with FOD imbedded in the stock pads.

Shimano bar-end shifters are one of the greatest mechanical devices ever
produced.

If you dislike the Burley seat base, Calhoun Cycle has a RANS
alternative that will fit a Burley:
http://www.calhouncycle.com/accessories/evolution.html.

--
Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon and Pedant

Old October 21st 04, 02:26 AM
Bob Parnass

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:24:57 +0000, Steve Knight wrote:

it's hard to get higher end parts on most bents unless you spend far more
upfront. atleast that's the way it seems.
I am getting a burley limbo and I could see some changes. ... maybe
something
better quality? I usually only spend money on upgrades that have a real
benefit. that make shifting and braking feel great and responsive.

Why not take delivery of the Limbo and ride it for a while as-is
so you can evaluate the stock components? You might find some
of them satisfactory. This will give you
a baseline for comparison should you decide to replace
components later.
Bob Parnass, AJ9S GNU/Linux User http://parnass.com

Old October 21st 04, 11:06 AM
Peter Clinch

Tom Sherman wrote:

Shimano bar-end shifters are one of the greatest mechanical devices ever
produced.

They work sublimely well with underseat steering (have them on my
Streetmachine), but on ASS they just put the levers away from your
fingers. I'd sooner have rapidfires on ASS.

Pete.

Old October 21st 04, 05:29 PM
Steve Knight

Kool Stop "salmon" pads are a must unless you want to wear out the stock
rims in a hurry with FOD imbedded in the stock pads.

that's my next stop. I have heard too may horror stories about shimano brake
pads (G)

Shimano bar-end shifters are one of the greatest mechanical devices ever
produced.

that's what i Had on my racing bike and I really liked them. but in the bar ends
may be a bit of a pain to use. they have a mount that lets you use them like
thumb shifters though.

If you dislike the Burley seat base, Calhoun Cycle has a RANS
alternative that will fit a Burley:

not sure about that yet. I hope to take my first commute today. I have to figure
out if I need different pants to wear to and all of that junk.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 21st 04, 05:30 PM
Steve Knight

Why not take delivery of the Limbo and ride it for a while as-is
so you can evaluate the stock components? You might find some
of them satisfactory. This will give you
a baseline for comparison should you decide to replace
components later.

I plan on it as I spent my wad (G) but hey you got to think ahead. the bike is
about the only think I waste money on.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 22nd 04, 02:02 AM
Tom Sherman

Steve Knight wrote:

Kool Stop "salmon" pads are a must unless you want to wear out the stock
rims in a hurry with FOD imbedded in the stock pads.

that's my next stop. I have heard too may horror stories about shimano brake
pads (G)

Late 1990's SRAM pads were also bad in this respect. (I do not know
about newer ones, since all I use are "salmon" Kool Stops.

Yes. Paul Component Engineering: http://www.paulcomp.com/thumbmtn.html.

--
Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon and Pedant