Sharing the road with cyclists

Old September 16th 12, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Andy Morris

Default Sharing the road with cyclists

On 16/09/2012 06:59, Dan O wrote:

I have to say I just about felt like I didn't belong in that concrete
enclosed narrow lanes no lane changes allowed highway construction
zone. It felt pretty hairy. Everybody was very accommodating though
(lucked out). Like I said - didn't know what I was getting into.

Could you of ridden in a primary position?

http://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress...-a-hard-place/

http://tinyurl.com/primaryPosition

--
Andy Morris
Andy dot Jinkas at Googlemail
Old September 17th 12, 07:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Sep 16, 2:50 pm, Andy Morris wrote:
On 16/09/2012 06:59, Dan O wrote:

I have to say I just about felt like I didn't belong in that concrete
enclosed narrow lanes no lane changes allowed highway construction
zone. It felt pretty hairy. Everybody was very accommodating though
(lucked out). Like I said - didn't know what I was getting into.

Could you of ridden in a primary position?

http://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress...-primary-posit...

http://tinyurl.com/primaryPosition

Let me assure you that I was not hugging the concrete barrier, but
being as conspicuous as possible, making constant shoudler checks,
intensely aware of all the countless factors used to determine the
motorists awareness and perceived intentions - dynamically weighted
primarily on which lane they were already in (primarily though not
soley concerned with those already in the right lane which I occupied)
- wagging myself at them a bit to be noticed but trying to maintain
maximum forward speed for the most part - prepared to evade as best
possible if it came to that - all the same usual sort of traffic
interaction as whenever stuck in heavy, higher speed traffic (wherein
my top priority is usually to get the hell out of there at the first
good opportunity) - but heightened to the nth degree squared times
10. Very tense situation. Fortunately *all* drivers accommodated -
all but a few having the sense to disregard the "no lane changes"
stripes and move completely into the other lane well in advance of
passing - the remainder passing carefully and at least partially
leaving the lane.

Certain "take the lane" advocates like to put down the idea (and the
person holding the idea) of staying out of the way as a fearful gutter
bunny approach, but in truth staying out of the way of faster traffic
- especially faster traffic with exceedingly hazardous mass - is a
good idea. It depends.

Old September 17th 12, 07:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On 16/09/2012 06:59, Dan O wrote:

I have to say I just about felt like I didn't belong in that concrete
enclosed narrow lanes no lane changes allowed highway construction
zone. It felt pretty hairy. Everybody was very accommodating though
(lucked out). Like I said - didn't know what I was getting into.

Could you of ridden in a primary position?

http://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress...-primary-posit...

http://tinyurl.com/primaryPosition

aggravated pedantry
.... and I think you meant, "Could you have... "
/pedantry
Old September 18th 12, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 9/17/2012 1:16 AM, Dan O wrote:
Certain "take the lane" advocates like to put down the idea (and the
person holding the idea) of staying out of the way as a fearful gutter
bunny approach, but in truth staying out of the way of faster traffic
- especially faster traffic with exceedingly hazardous mass - is a
good idea. It depends.

You must have been thinking "DANGER! DANGER!" if you need Dependsâ„¢.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
Post Free or Die!

Tutorial on Sharing the Road John Everett General 2 June 23rd 07 04:49 AM
Road sharing idea? fred2 UK 5 April 25th 07 09:42 PM
sharing the road Zebee Johnstone Australia 28 September 3rd 06 03:50 PM
Interesting city webpage on sharing the road Claire General 3 August 13th 05 01:21 AM
Why isn't there 'Sharing the Road with Bicyclists' on DMV Papers? Ravi General 13 April 16th 05 01:21 PM