Glass

Old January 20th 08, 05:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Default Glass

There's some discussion regarding introducing container deposits in NSW
in an article on the smh website.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2dhofc

Having found myself stranded with glass in the tyre and a tube of dried
up glue on Thursday, I think it's a great idea to get as many bottles as
possible back to the manufacturers rather than on the roads.

Might be worth contacting that baldy headed bloke who used to be in a
rock band to let him know it woud be good for cyclists.
Old January 20th 08, 05:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2008-01-20, Peter (aka Bruce)
There's some discussion regarding introducing container deposits in NSW
in an article on the smh website.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2dhofc

Having found myself stranded with glass in the tyre and a tube of dried
up glue on Thursday, I think it's a great idea to get as many bottles as
possible back to the manufacturers rather than on the roads.

Might be worth contacting that baldy headed bloke who used to be in a
rock band to let him know it woud be good for cyclists.

I wonder how many people will make an extra trip in the car just to
drop off a load of bottles, thereby negating the good of 100 people
who would have left their bottles for roadside collection.

Cars take a ****load more energy that the energy to melt a bit of sand
into a bottle shape.

It's the reason I don't get the plumber out as soon as a tap starts to
leak -- the plumber driving his van here will use far more water in
the act of driving (isn't it something like 1000L of water per kg of
steel, during manufacture?) than the water that may have been lost
down the sink.

"James Tait, corporate affairs director with brewing giant Lion
Nathan, warned a container deposit could hurt families by adding
more than 10percent to the weekly grocery bill."

*Cough* bull**** *cough*.

--
TimC
We don't need no education
Old January 20th 08, 06:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:52:40 +1100
TimC wrote:

I wonder how many people will make an extra trip in the car just to
drop off a load of bottles, thereby negating the good of 100 people
who would have left their bottles for roadside collection.

If the Adelaide experience is any guide, not that many really.

Some people do, a lot of people wait for the local school or scout
group to do a bottle drive.

last bottle drive I saw (which was, I admit, a long time ago) involved
boy scouts on bicycles with backpacks to take bottles and cans.

It's the reason I don't get the plumber out as soon as a tap starts to
leak -- the plumber driving his van here will use far more water in

No, you drop by the hardware store next time you are in the area and
get a seal. It's not *that* hard to do!

Zebee
Old January 20th 08, 06:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Russell Shaw

TimC wrote:
On 2008-01-20, Peter (aka Bruce)
[...]

The supermarket ****ers already add that 10% to fund frequent flyer points and
petrol docket rebates.
Old January 20th 08, 07:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2008-01-20, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
TimC wrote:
It's the reason I don't get the plumber out as soon as a tap starts to
leak -- the plumber driving his van here will use far more water in

No, you drop by the hardware store next time you are in the area and
get a seal.

Hopefully not in the car

It's not *that* hard to do!

True. Although the second last time I did it, I screwed it up
royally. Well, the tap was stuffed anyway, so I couldn't break it
anymore. I reckon the next time I need to replace a washer, I'll
break the tap to the building. That thing is even more screwed than
the rest of the taps in the building. The best part of the water to
this building, is I had hot water for my entire shower, just turning
the cold tap on, for the entire duration sometime last week. This is
12 hours after the pipes last were exposed to the heat of the day.
I've got to get out of this place, if it's the last thing I ever do.

--
TimC
A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform. -- unknown
Old January 20th 08, 08:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
zog

Peter wrote:
There's some discussion regarding introducing container deposits in NSW
in an article on the smh website.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2dhofc

Having found myself stranded with glass in the tyre and a tube of dried
up glue on Thursday, I think it's a great idea to get as many bottles as
possible back to the manufacturers rather than on the roads.

Might be worth contacting that baldy headed bloke who used to be in a
rock band to let him know it woud be good for cyclists.

unfortunately it is not going to mean a thing to the ****head yobbos
driving along with their equally useless mates who think tossing a
bottle out of a moving car is great sport in watching it smash on the road.
Old January 20th 08, 09:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:46:26 +1100
zog wrote:

unfortunately it is not going to mean a thing to the ****head yobbos
driving along with their equally useless mates who think tossing a
bottle out of a moving car is great sport in watching it smash on the road.

I seem to recall that the streets of Adelaide have far fewer bogan
droppings than those of other cities.

Don't even see many in the yobbo areas like Elizabeth.

Trained from childhood that the things mean money I suppose.

Zebee
Old January 20th 08, 09:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
zog

zog wrote:
unfortunately it is not going to mean a thing to the ****head yobbos
driving along with their equally useless mates who think tossing a
bottle out of a moving car is great sport in watching it smash on the road.

I seem to recall that the streets of Adelaide have far fewer bogan
droppings than those of other cities.

Don't even see many in the yobbo areas like Elizabeth.

Trained from childhood that the things mean money I suppose.

yes, I suppose there is not that much glass around my area either
(northern Beaches Sydney), but there is a couple of sections with a bit
of straight road and 90km zones that the yobbos seem to take great
pleasure in exploding bottles.

personally I think when they get around to crushing these yobbo's cars
they should leave the *******s in the car
Old January 20th 08, 10:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Resound[_2_]

On 2008-01-20, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
TimC wrote:
[...]

Replace the seat as well as the vlave next time. Incidentally, given that
the plumber's van is already made, his using it doesn't require more steel
to be produced.

Old January 20th 08, 11:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

I seem to recall that the streets of Adelaide have far fewer bogan
droppings than those of other cities.

Don't even see many in the yobbo areas like Elizabeth.

Trained from childhood that the things mean money I suppose.

I remember being followed around the park by a kid waiting for me to finish
my coke in Adelaide. Mind you, 5c was a lot more then.

Theo

Shard of glass Tom Crispin UK 4 January 14th 08 08:33 PM
Removing glass from tyre Membrane UK 8 May 5th 07 01:23 PM
Broken glass : KoperniK UK 11 October 29th 06 09:30 PM
glass trino General 16 July 26th 06 06:59 PM
Safety Glass on the road Samuel Russell Australia 1 February 8th 05 09:10 PM