Your thoughts on MUSIC (speakers) on an organized ride?

Old April 21st 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Hell And High Water

Default Your thoughts on MUSIC (speakers) on an organized ride?

Several times lately, during organized rides, I've seen people with
speakers mounted on their bikes, playing loud music.

Sometimes they're very small. Just an ipod and some tiny speakers, but
I can still hear them from a bit of a distance.

This past weekend, some guy had a fairly large speaker mounted on the
back of his bike. (Facing backwards, BTW)

What are your thoughts on this?

I kind of like the quiet of a country ride, and would prefer them to
keep it to themselves.

Thanks,

-Bob
Old April 21st 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

| Definitely rude and inconsiderate. Once went on a mtb ride with a guy who
| had speakers in his Camelbak, playing the same Led Zeppelin song over and
| over and over. I and a few others wanted to kill him.

The Song Remains the Same

Oh, wait, that's a soundtrack to a movie. Oh well...

(More seriously, I would find it pretty annoying and good reason to put some
distance between myself and the music. I don't look forward to cell phones
on planes either.)

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old April 21st 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

Saw a bike yesterday that had so much bulky electrical stuff on board that I
thought it was motorized. When I looked closer, I discovered that it was
all batteries, amp and speakers. Three fairly large oval speakers without
baffles, of course. The sound would have to be awful. And the brain that
put it together.

I put it in the same category as the guy sitting in his car at a stop light,
with all the windows down and bass so loud it shakes my car. And the person
who holds a loud cell phone conversation in a quiet restaurant.

Old April 21st 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
leebossa

if you're alone, fine...but not in a group. It's rude and totally
inconsiderate.

usually i see people with those and they are usually riding beatup old
bikes or landriders, smoking while they ride and go abouat 2 miles an
hour; they listen to yakking talk shows or really bad music.

Old April 21st 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Larry Farrell

Leo Lichtman wrote:
Saw a bike yesterday that had so much bulky electrical stuff on board that I
thought it was motorized. When I looked closer, I discovered that it was
all batteries, amp and speakers. Three fairly large oval speakers without
baffles, of course. The sound would have to be awful. And the brain that
put it together.

I put it in the same category as the guy sitting in his car at a stop light,
with all the windows down and bass so loud it shakes my car. And the person
who holds a loud cell phone conversation in a quiet restaurant.

I was recently running some errands in my car and pulled up next to
one of those. At the next stoplight, where we were also next to one
another, I rolled down the windows on that side of my car and turned
my music to maximum (I was listening to a violin concerto).
Surprisingly enough, the teenage drive grinned at me and began to make
conducting motions! I did not hear his music any longer, after I
turned mine back down to a normal level.

--
Larry D. Farrell, Ph.D.
Professor of Microbiology
Old April 22nd 08, 04:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Percival Cornelius[_2_]

Hell And High Water and I are about to drop the following dope collabo::

This past weekend, some guy had a fairly large speaker mounted on the
back of his bike. (Facing backwards, BTW)

What are your thoughts on this?

I kind of like the quiet of a country ride, and would prefer them to
keep it to themselves.

It depends on the context of the ride. Believe it or not, not all group
rides take place in the country. On urban social bike rides like LA's
Midnight Ridazz, and often on Critical Mass and other urban rides, one or
more of the riders will pull a powerful sound system on a trailer and play
celebratory music for the group. I've never heard any of the riders
complain.

--
Percival Cornelius

Old April 22nd 08, 09:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

Hell And High Water wrote:

Several times lately, during organized rides, I've seen people with
speakers mounted on their bikes, playing loud music.

Sometimes they're very small. Just an ipod and some tiny speakers, but
I can still hear them from a bit of a distance.

This past weekend, some guy had a fairly large speaker mounted on the
back of his bike. (Facing backwards, BTW)

What are your thoughts on this?

I kind of like the quiet of a country ride, and would prefer them to
keep it to themselves.

A hundred meters does wonders for diminishing the intensity of any
objectionable sounds.

I have a buddy who uses a Long John-style bike outfitted with a 50W
amp smaller than a box of kitchen matches, and a speaker mounted in
the end of a five gallon plastic carboy. He is the life of any
rolling party. Don't know what we'd do without him.

Would you feel the same if the selection was Satie's Trois
Gymnopédies? In my experience, the "music" of the countryside is just
the sound of cars near and far-- hardly something I'd miss.

Chalo
Old April 23rd 08, 11:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Percival Cornelius

Bill Sornson and I are about to drop the following dope collabo:

Percival Cornelius wrote:

It depends on the context of the ride. Believe it or not, not all
group rides take place in the country. On urban social bike rides
like LA's Midnight Ridazz, and often on Critical Mass and other urban
rides, one or more of the riders will pull a powerful sound system on
a trailer and play celebratory music for the group. I've never heard
any of the riders complain.

Critical Mass riders being rude and inconsiderate? The hell you say.

What part of "I've never heard any of the riders complain" failed to
penetrate your blood/brain barrier?

--
Percival Cornelius

Old April 23rd 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Marz

On Apr 21, 10:54 am, Hell And High Water
wrote:
Several times lately, during organized rides, I've seen people with
speakers mounted on their bikes, playing loud music.

Sometimes they're very small. Just an ipod and some tiny speakers, but
I can still hear them from a bit of a distance.

This past weekend, some guy had a fairly large speaker mounted on the
back of his bike. (Facing backwards, BTW)

What are your thoughts on this?

I kind of like the quiet of a country ride, and would prefer them to
keep it to themselves.

Thanks,

-Bob

On a quiet country group ride I'd consider it rude if someone was to
play music over speakers. In fact, I'd think it's odd when folks on a
group ride wear earphones, and I like wearing earphones when riding
solo.

Laters,

Marz
Old April 23rd 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Apr 22, 4:05 am, Chalo wrote:
Hell And High Water wrote:

[...]

In my experience, the music of the countryside is more likely to be
birdsong, the cry of a red-shouldered hawk, dogs barking in the
distance, and the soft hiss of my tires on the pavement. And I like
it that way. Yes, cars pass - but I choose my countryside routes to
minimize traffic.

Satie can certainly be pleasant. So can Irish trad like Altan, and
medieval music like In Mulieribus, and African pop like Angelique
Kidjo. But the pleasure of music has a flip side, and that is, what
sounds fantastic to one person at one time can sound terrible to
everyone around them.

I don't think one should subject everyone within 100 meters to one's
taste in music, unless they've let you know they want to hear it.
IOW, performing on a stage for the people who came to hear you is
fine. Blasting an amp at the world as you're rolling along - whether
the amp is in a car or on a bike - is not fine.

I think the natural way to fix this is to forbid amplification. If
someone wants to sing, whistle, or play harmonica as they roll along,
fine. If someone wants to tow a piano on a trailer, fine. (But who
would do such a thing?? ;-) Going acoustic means people can easily
ignore you if they choose, or get closer if they prefer.

But the instant you start pumping out YOUR musical taste using
electrons, I think you're crossing a line.

And BTW, our club once had a guy who showed up with a boom box on the
back of his bike. The guy wasn't exactly shunned, but everyone was
obviously uncomfortable with the idea, and he picked up on it. Nobody
actually complained, but I don't think he ever brought his boom box
again.

- Frank Krygowski

Thoughts on my new Electra - a Joy to Ride! Jay[_2_] Techniques 16 April 2nd 08 03:23 PM
Thoughts about the ride leader gig? Claire Petersky General 4 March 23rd 06 02:37 PM
Post ride music Succorso UK 0 March 25th 05 10:06 PM
Mayors to Ride, Unicyclists, Music, etc: 2004 Mayors' Ride Set to Begin Cycle America General 0 May 7th 04 06:52 PM
What Music Do U All Listen To While You Ride? country_style17 Unicycling 39 May 1st 04 03:00 AM