Your thoughts on MUSIC (speakers) on an organized ride?

Old April 23rd 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
leebossa

Default Your thoughts on MUSIC (speakers) on an organized ride?

it's occurred to me lately that idiotic cell phone conversations have
made situations that used to be just tedious into annoying, aggravating
situations. Waiting for a bus, standing on line, being on the bus or at
the supermarket- yesterday it was some braindead teenager yakking at the
top of her lungs on her cell phone while bus driver smoked a cigarette
outside. I got out and walked!

Larry Farrell wrote:
Leo Lichtman wrote:
Saw a bike yesterday that had so much bulky electrical stuff on board
that I
thought it was motorized. When I looked closer, I discovered that it was
all batteries, amp and speakers. Three fairly large oval speakers
without
baffles, of course. The sound would have to be awful. And the brain
that
put it together.

I put it in the same category as the guy sitting in his car at a stop
light, with all the windows down and bass so loud it shakes my car.
And the person who holds a loud cell phone conversation in a quiet
restaurant.

I was recently running some errands in my car and pulled up next to one
of those. At the next stoplight, where we were also next to one
another, I rolled down the windows on that side of my car and turned my
music to maximum (I was listening to a violin concerto). Surprisingly
enough, the teenage drive grinned at me and began to make conducting
motions! I did not hear his music any longer, after I turned mine back
down to a normal level.

Old April 24th 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Percival Cornelius

Bill Sornson and I are about to drop the following dope collabo:

Percival Cornelius wrote:
Bill Sornson and I are about to drop the following dope collabo:

Percival Cornelius wrote:

It depends on the context of the ride. Believe it or not, not all
group rides take place in the country. On urban social bike rides
like LA's Midnight Ridazz, and often on Critical Mass and other
urban rides, one or more of the riders will pull a powerful sound
system on a trailer and play celebratory music for the group. I've
never heard any of the riders complain.

Critical Mass riders being rude and inconsiderate? The hell you say.

What part of "I've never heard any of the riders complain" failed to
penetrate your blood/brain barrier?

That no oh-so-hip-slick-and-cool people complained about a clearly rude and
inconsiderate behavior is hardly evidence that it isn't indeed crass and
intrusive.

Please have someone explain this to you.

HAND

Your concern for the delicate ears and rural sensibilities of the people
who choose to be in major urban areas at rush hour on Friday nights is
touching. However, I can assure you that in my experience, none of those
bystanders has yet complained about the crass intrusion of upbeat music
into the usual symphony of car horns, air brakes, sirens, and revving
engines.

Try another angle.

--
Percival Cornelius

Old April 25th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Percival Cornelius

Bill Sornson and I are about to drop the following dope collabo:

Still, the OP asked about "organized rides" and others mentioned "group
rides".

And I answered his question, and those of the other posters as well.
Believe it or not, there are other kinds of organized and group rides than
club and training rides. Both of the rides I mentioned (Midnight Ridazz in
Los Angeles and Critical Mass worldwide) are group rides, and the former
is organized.

--
Percival Cornelius

Old April 26th 08, 08:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Percival Cornelius

Percival Cornelius wrote:
Bill Sornson and I are about to drop the following dope collabo:

Still, the OP asked about "organized rides" and others mentioned
"group rides".

And I answered his question, and those of the other posters as well.
Believe it or not, there are other kinds of organized and group rides
than club and training rides. Both of the rides I mentioned (Midnight
Ridazz in Los Angeles and Critical Mass worldwide) are group rides,
and the former is organized.

You removed all context from my comment, so I invite the reader to scroll up
a bit and see what was really said and why.

Believe it or not, trimming extraneous quoted text is a common practice on
Usenet and one that is generally encouraged (as is delineating one's
signature properly with two dashes and a space, but we'll save that for
next week's class).

Of course, if "the reader," who is no doubt hanging on the edge of his
seat waiting to see whether your words have been quoted out of
context, wishes to determine this for himself he certainly may go
back and re-read the other post. That's one of the reasons why
trimming quoted text is an accepted practice. He won't find anything that
changes the meaning of the text I left in, though. Questions were asked
about music on group/organized rides, and I answered them from my
perspective. There ain't much else to it.

Was there anything else you wanted to discuss, or are you just keeping me
on the line because you want somebody to talk to?

Thoughts on my new Electra - a Joy to Ride! Jay[_2_] Techniques 16 April 2nd 08 03:23 PM
Thoughts about the ride leader gig? Claire Petersky General 4 March 23rd 06 01:37 PM
Post ride music Succorso UK 0 March 25th 05 09:06 PM
Mayors to Ride, Unicyclists, Music, etc: 2004 Mayors' Ride Set to Begin Cycle America General 0 May 7th 04 06:52 PM
What Music Do U All Listen To While You Ride? country_style17 Unicycling 39 May 1st 04 03:00 AM