the dark side

Old December 18th 10, 07:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default the dark side

I have gone over the to dark side.

Well... it isn't very dark (bright yellow) and I haven't so much
crossed over as visited a bit.

I have acquired a Brompton.

It is a lot of fun to ride, and being probably less than half the
weight of my 'bent it's quick and nippy.

It is still a wedgie, so it's only going to be used for quick trips
locally and trips where having a bike either end would be good but the
'bent isn't suitable (such as bus trips) rather than as my main or
usual ride.

It's fun, it's comfortable (for a wedgie, and it is a wedgie when all
is said and done) and it doubles as a shopping trolley! fold it all
bar the handlebars and roll it on its 2 little roller wheels with the
shopping going in the front bag which is still on the bike.

Fun little jigger!

Zebee
Old December 22nd 10, 11:23 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

On 18/12/2010 6:59 PM, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
I have gone over the to dark side.

Well... it isn't very dark (bright yellow) and I haven't so much
crossed over as visited a bit.

I have acquired a Brompton.

It is a lot of fun to ride, and being probably less than half the
weight of my 'bent it's quick and nippy.

It is still a wedgie, so it's only going to be used for quick trips
locally and trips where having a bike either end would be good but the
'bent isn't suitable (such as bus trips) rather than as my main or
usual ride.

It's fun, it's comfortable (for a wedgie, and it is a wedgie when all
is said and done) and it doubles as a shopping trolley! fold it all
bar the handlebars and roll it on its 2 little roller wheels with the
shopping going in the front bag which is still on the bike.

Fun little jigger!

Zebee

Come across these in Canada, a couple who lived in Toronto said they
rode them everywhere. We meet up with them in Montreal unpacking them
about to ride that city, great little travel bike.

Old December 23rd 10, 12:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 23 Dec 2010 10:23:12 +1100
Rob wrote:
On 18/12/2010 6:59 PM, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
I have acquired a Brompton.

Come across these in Canada, a couple who lived in Toronto said they
rode them everywhere. We meet up with them in Montreal unpacking them
about to ride that city, great little travel bike.

It is a great little bike.

Good little climber, being so light. The top gear on the 6 speeder
isn't super fast, but then it's not supposed to be. This isn't a
racing bike, this is transport, low gearing for hills and luggage is
more important. It can still get along at a reasonable clip though.

It gets a lot of interested looks as I fold or unfold, and as I carry
it about in the folded state.

People do a lot of miles on them apparently, but for me it's mainly
the convenience. Into the city on the train, and around to various
places more quickly than on foot. Bus trips to the big shopping
centre, and I have brought my own trolley!

I can do the train/city thing on the 'bent and have done, and if I
plan to go any distance I'll still use it.

Zebee
Old December 23rd 10, 01:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

wrote:
[...]

On thing that you did mention somewhere, was riding them to work, this
couple did exactly that and placed them under the desk.

Old December 23rd 10, 01:31 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers[_2_]

Rob wrote:
On 18/12/2010 6:59 PM, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
I have acquired a Brompton.

Come across these in Canada, a couple who lived in Toronto said they
rode them everywhere. We meet up with them in Montreal unpacking them
about to ride that city, great little travel bike.

It is a great little bike.

Good little climber, being so light. The top gear on the 6 speeder
isn't super fast, but then it's not supposed to be. This isn't a
racing bike, this is transport, low gearing for hills and luggage is
more important. It can still get along at a reasonable clip though.

I thought it was 25 pounds? And that is without any bags or accessories.

Theo

Old December 23rd 10, 07:31 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Rob wrote:
On 18/12/2010 6:59 PM, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
I have acquired a Brompton.

Come across these in Canada, a couple who lived in Toronto said they
rode them everywhere. We meet up with them in Montreal unpacking them
about to ride that city, great little travel bike.

It is a great little bike.

Good little climber, being so light. The top gear on the 6 speeder
isn't super fast, but then it's not supposed to be. This isn't a
racing bike, this is transport, low gearing for hills and luggage is
more important. It can still get along at a reasonable clip though.

I thought it was 25 pounds? And that is without any bags or accessories.

I'm comparing it to more than 15kg of 'bent

Feels plenty light enough to me compared to average bikes. Not to
super light racing bikes but it isn't one or competing with one.

Zebee
Old December 23rd 10, 11:45 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers[_2_]

"Zebee Johnstone" wrote
Theo Bekkers wrote:
"Zebee Johnstone" wrote

It is a great little bike.

Good little climber, being so light. The top gear on the 6 speeder
isn't super fast, but then it's not supposed to be. This isn't a
racing bike, this is transport, low gearing for hills and luggage is
more important. It can still get along at a reasonable clip though.

I thought it was 25 pounds? And that is without any bags or accessories.

I'm comparing it to more than 15kg of 'bent

By that standard it is light, but that doesn't really make it light by other
standards. My mountain bike weighs about a kilo more but the bike I used for
commuting is a couple of kilos less. And that could certainly climb. The
mountain bike didn't really like mountains.

Old December 24th 10, 07:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Jack Russell

On 24/12/2010 10:45, Theo Bekkers wrote:
"Zebee wrote
Theo wrote:
"Zebee wrote

It is a great little bike.

Good little climber, being so light. The top gear on the 6 speeder
isn't super fast, but then it's not supposed to be. This isn't a
racing bike, this is transport, low gearing for hills and luggage is
more important. It can still get along at a reasonable clip though.

I thought it was 25 pounds? And that is without any bags or accessories.

I'm comparing it to more than 15kg of 'bent

By that standard it is light, but that doesn't really make it light by other
standards. My mountain bike weighs about a kilo more but the bike I used for
commuting is a couple of kilos less. And that could certainly climb. The
mountain bike didn't really like mountains.

Feels plenty light enough to me compared to average bikes. Not to
super light racing bikes but it isn't one or competing with one.

Theo

in the UK Bromptons have a race in which the competitors have to wear
business clothes (jacket and tie).

Here is a link

--
Remove norubbish to reply
Old December 24th 10, 07:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Jack Russell

Theo wrote:
[...]

Sorry forgot the link

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//H.../03/X03101001/

--
Remove norubbish to reply
Old December 24th 10, 08:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

Theo wrote:
[...]

AS mentioned "All good fun"

The Dark Side... MatSav UK 2 January 29th 07 09:49 PM
The 'other' dark side Nick Kew UK 1 January 18th 07 02:56 AM
Going to the dark side... Plodder Australia 6 August 18th 06 01:50 AM
So Tell Me About the Dark Side... Artemisia General 114 July 1st 06 10:17 AM
So Tell Me About the Dark Side... Edward Dolan Recumbent Biking 46 July 1st 06 10:17 AM