Shimano clipless pedals

Old March 28th 17, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Shimano clipless pedals

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 14:17:42 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

John B. wrote:
snip

Yup. Same length cranks. I unscrewed one set of pedals (shimano A530)
and replaced then with the new pedals.The distance from the center
line of the pedal cleats to the face of the crank is 53mm for the old
pedals and 55mm for the new pedals which, to be honest, I never
noticed. But the angle of the shoe in the new pedals was enough that
the crank arm brushed the inside of the heals.

So throw a 2mm spacer on the "short" pedals, adjust the cleats on the
corresponding shoes and ride off into the sunset.

The distance from the shoe to the crank arm wasn't the problem. It was
the angle of the shoe in the pedal.

It be honest, I doubt that I would notice a difference of 2mm in
shoe/crank spacing.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 28th 17, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 10:43:49 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/27/2017 10:17 AM, Ralph Barone wrote:
John B. wrote:
snip

Yup. Same length cranks. I unscrewed one set of pedals (shimano A530)
and replaced then with the new pedals.The distance from the center
line of the pedal cleats to the face of the crank is 53mm for the old
pedals and 55mm for the new pedals which, to be honest, I never
noticed. But the angle of the shoe in the new pedals was enough that
the crank arm brushed the inside of the heals.

So throw a 2mm spacer on the "short" pedals, adjust the cleats on the
corresponding shoes and ride off into the sunset.

I still use old-style clips and straps, because I want to ride using any
pair of shoes.

But a pair of sandals I bought last year slightly brushed the chainstays
on one bike. So I took the sandals to my bandsaw and removed about 1/4"
from the inside edge of the sole, at the heel. It didn't affect the
appearance of the sandals, and it solved my problem.

I know it's not an answer to your question, but it might remove your
frustration.

If I sawed a quarter of an inch off the inside of one shoe it would
probably become a sandal :-)

I fixed the "problem" by realigning the shoe cleat but the question
is/was do Shimano pedals really vary that much in alignment. I've
certainly changed pedals before with no noticeable misalignment.

It is a bit humorous as when I complained to the shop that I preferred
the old model pedals I was assured that these "new" pedals are much
superior to the old models :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 28th 17, 05:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:

John B. wrote:
snip

Yup. Same length cranks. I unscrewed one set of pedals (shimano A530)
and replaced then with the new pedals.The distance from the center
line of the pedal cleats to the face of the crank is 53mm for the old
pedals and 55mm for the new pedals which, to be honest, I never
noticed. But the angle of the shoe in the new pedals was enough that
the crank arm brushed the inside of the heals.

So throw a 2mm spacer on the "short" pedals, adjust the cleats on the
corresponding shoes and ride off into the sunset.

The distance from the shoe to the crank arm wasn't the problem. It was
the angle of the shoe in the pedal.

It be honest, I doubt that I would notice a difference of 2mm in
shoe/crank spacing.
--
Cheers,

John B.

So are you saying that the cleat was rotated more in one shoe (in which
case the obvious answer is "Rotate it - it doesn't bother you in the other
set of shoes") or that the cleat receptacle in one set of pedals was
rotated a bit such that shoe-pedal combinations that worked well together
ended up rotated if you swapped the shoe or the pedal?

Or maybe everything else was just fine, but with the wider pedal, you
cleared the crank by 1 mm and the with the narrow pedal, you have -1 mm
clearance.
Old March 28th 17, 09:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

John B. wrote:
[...]

What I did was to remove a set of Shimano M530 pedals from a bicycle
and replace then with Shimano A530 pedals. A pair of shoes that I have
owned for several years and used with both the M530 pedals as well as
a set of M324 pedals on a 2nd bike, when used with the new A530 pedals
were so misaligned that my heels brushed the crank arms.

As I believe I mentioned, this is not global warming but I wondered is
this was something unusual as I have frequently switched from bike to
bike, or to put it another way, from pedal to pedal, with no
previously problems.

Or maybe everything else was just fine, but with the wider pedal, you
cleared the crank by 1 mm and the with the narrow pedal, you have -1 mm
clearance.

No, with the shoe essentially straight ahead the heel clears the crank
arm by substantially more than 2mm :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 28th 17, 10:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 3:22:25 AM UTC+2, John B. wrote:
I prefer single sided clipless pedals for city riding as they allow me
to clipped in when the road is clear and at the same time ride
"clipless", as it were, in dense traffic when one might want to get
either foot down quickly.

Previously I had always used Shimano M324 pedals but recently I find
that local shops seem to no longer stock them and Shimano A530 now
seem to be the pedal of choice so I now have two "city bikes" one with
M324 pedals and one with M530 pedals.

But I also have two pairs of bicycle shoes and had been wearing one
pair on my Wednesday morning rides and the other on my longer Sunday
rides. And, I had been using one bike for Wednesday rides and the
other for Sunday rides. No rational reason, I admit, but it was what I
had been doing.

Recently I had been doing some cleaning and servicing on the Wednesday
bike and rode the Sunday bike on a Wednesday with the Wednesday shoes
and found that the heal of one shoe was hitting the crank arm nearly
every revolution. Not actually slamming into the crank but brushing
it.

When I got home I did a comparison of the two bikes and the shoes and
found that with the Wednesday bike and the Wednesday shoes the shoes
were essentially "straight ahead" and the Sunday bike and Sunday shoes
were the same. But with either the Sunday bike and Wednesday shoes or
the Wednesday bike and the Sunday shoes the shoes were noticeably
angled.

Is this common that different "clipless" (how can one have clipless
pedals that clip on :-) pedals have the clips at different angles?

Hardly a problem that equals global warming but I am curious

--
Cheers,

John B.

I thought I was well organized:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1010765...82699743960834
but you have wednesday morning shoes and bike's. Hat off ;-)
I can use every SPD shoe on every SPD pedal equipped bike without problems btw.

Lou
Old March 28th 17, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 02:18:59 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Well yes :-) The Sunday shoes.

My Sunday rides are generally in the 3 - 4 hour range, done with the
"Sunday bike" of course, and I wear my newest pair of shoes. The,
rather work-a-day Wednesday rides. say 15 - 20 km, done at daybreak to
avoid, as much as possible, the weekday city traffic, is, of course,
done with the Wednesday bike and I wear the Wednesday shoes, a rather
prosaic pair of lace-up bike shoes that I've owned for four or five
years. (they just won't wear out).

As our English cousins say, "Horses for courses" :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 28th 17, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

John B. wrote:
[...]

May not be (and probably isn't) a difference in pedals.
Take a look at your crank arms:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/curve.jpg

classic arms have a flat face, modern arms curve.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 28th 17, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, March 28, 2017 at 2:19:01 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Gads. You're the Imelda Marcos of bicycling. I have a pair of SIDI road shoes and Giro MTB -- which actually need new buckles. I also have an ancient pair of Specialized with old Delta Look cleats for my track/roller bike. I have a pair of sale table Shimano MTB shoes I never wear because they are too limber. They'll go to Next Adventure (used equipment store) soon, along with a bunch of ski boots.

I basically ride to work every day in the same Giro shoes -- great shoes BTW. They're all muddy, and I hope they've dried out since yesterday. AFAIK, we haven't had two consecutive days without rain for months. Our longest dry spell was in January, when there was snow on the ground.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 29th 17, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 07:30:19 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

[...]

Good Lord! One simply can't go on a Sunday Ride with muddy shoes!

Why, it would be like watching Oprah without a bag of Fretos and bowl
of dip.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 29th 17, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

John B. wrote:
[...]

Well, the two bikes in question have cranks marked SR Royal and
FC-8400 and look straight :-)

I will make a serious look at them later today but the difference
seems to be the amount of play in the pedals (using the same shoes).
It appears that the newer pedals have a very limited amount of play,
i.e., ability for the foot to twist or swivel, than several other
pedal sets I have on hand."Float" I believe it is called in some
descriptions.

(note: I am aware of the two different shoe cleats SM-SH51 and SH56 )
--
Cheers,

John B.