FIR Rims?

Old July 8th 04, 07:07 AM
Bow

Default FIR Rims?

Has anyone had any experience with FIR rims? The model I am looking at
buying is the SRG 30 aero profile 28 spoke.

Thanks

Bow

Old July 8th 04, 12:05 PM
Peter Vesel

"Bow" wrote in message
Has anyone had any experience with FIR rims? The model I am looking at
buying is the SRG 30 aero profile 28 spoke.

Thanks

Bow

I had a pair made up a couple of years back(32 spoke bright gold finish).
I experienced cracking around all the rear drive side spokes so took the
wheel back and had the rim replaced for free.
A couple of weeks later I hit a pothole and destroyed the new rim.
I don't use the rear wheel now and the front wheel, which is fine, is in the
garage. (would you like to buy it?)

Personally I don't think the rim is any better or worse than Australian made
velocity deep V rims, which you should be able to find cheaper.

Peter

Old July 8th 04, 01:46 PM
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:07:12 +1000, "Bow"
wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with FIR rims? The model I am looking at
buying is the SRG 30 aero profile 28 spoke.

MAPLE or SPRUCE may be stronger.
--
Rick Onanian
Old July 8th 04, 05:34 PM
Chris

"Peter Vesel" wrote in message
news

"Bow" wrote in message
Has anyone had any experience with FIR rims? The model I am looking at
buying is the SRG 30 aero profile 28 spoke.

Thanks

Bow

I had a pair made up a couple of years back(32 spoke bright gold finish).
I experienced cracking around all the rear drive side spokes so took the
wheel back and had the rim replaced for free.
A couple of weeks later I hit a pothole and destroyed the new rim.
I don't use the rear wheel now and the front wheel, which is fine, is in

the
garage. (would you like to buy it?)

Personally I don't think the rim is any better or worse than Australian

made
velocity deep V rims, which you should be able to find cheaper.

And drilled any way you can think of.

Peter

Old July 8th 04, 06:22 PM
Karl

"Bow" wrote in message . ..
Has anyone had any experience with FIR rims? The model I am looking at
buying is the SRG 30 aero profile 28 spoke.

Thanks

Bow

I've used FIR on road and off over the years and have always had good
luck with them.
Karl
Old July 8th 04, 10:57 PM
ZeeExSixAre

Bow wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with FIR rims?

They used to have those before they started using metal... the younger
generation here will remember "Oregon Trail" and all the broken yokes,
tongues, axles, and wheels... wood (and thus, FIR) just wasn't reliable!
Can't imagine why you'd put one on a bike in this day and age...

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training (where's Sorni when you need him?)

Old July 8th 04, 11:54 PM
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 17:57:24 -0400, "ZeeExSixAre"
wrote:
They used to have those before they started using metal... the younger
generation here will remember "Oregon Trail" and all the broken yokes,
tongues, axles, and wheels... wood (and thus, FIR) just wasn't reliable!

Played it on an Apple IIe. Later bought it for Apple IIgs and PC,
and still have the DOS version around somewhere (probably on 5.25"
disks).

Can't imagine why you'd put one on a bike in this day and age...

Me neither. Kiln-dried spruce is stronger.

Phil, Squid-in-Training (where's Sorni when you need him?)

Boycotting this thread?
--
Rick "Sore-knee from changing fir wheel" Onanian
Old July 9th 04, 05:10 PM
S o r n i

wrote:
They used to have those before they started using metal... the
younger generation here will remember "Oregon Trail" and all the
broken yokes, tongues, axles, and wheels... wood (and thus, FIR)
just wasn't reliable!

Played it on an Apple IIe. Later bought it for Apple IIgs and PC,
and still have the DOS version around somewhere (probably on 5.25"
disks).

Can't imagine why you'd put one on a bike in this day and age...

Me neither. Kiln-dried spruce is stronger.

Phil, Squid-in-Training (where's Sorni when you need him?)

Boycotting this thread?

My mouse finger was itchy, and now I know why! (Didn't notice my name first
time, as newsreader sorta "dims" sigs and the Squid's remark was thus
treated...uh, thusly.)

Bill "FIR rims: soft ride, but the protesters throwing buckets of blood on
you gets rather old" S.

Old July 9th 04, 07:09 PM
DRS

"Mark Vieselmeyer" wrote in message

In rec.bicycles.tech S o r n i wrote:

Bill "FIR rims: soft ride, but the protesters throwing buckets of
blood on you gets rather old" S.

That bike needs one of these:
http://www.velimpex.com/san_marco_pr...nts=sm_emotion

That's just bizarre.