No disagreement

Old October 18th 04, 06:39 AM
Blair P. Houghton

Default No disagreement

Fighting a killer headwind* on the flats today I passed another
rider, quite slowly, and asked "don't you just love the wind?"

"It's the best," he replied.

Makes you wonder how people who post about riding can end
up being fractious bozos who won't agree with anything
reasonable even though they're not trying to torpedo
through 15 mph gusting to 25...

--Blair
"Ride more. **** less."

* - I knew Killer. Killer was a yorkie. A toy yorkie.
Maybe even a toy yorkie puppy at the time I met him.
Small enough to sit erect in Al Kreitler's palm. Al would
put Killer in the bib of his overalls to sleep. Great dog.
Old October 18th 04, 11:30 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 05:39:11 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Fighting a killer headwind* on the flats today I passed another
rider, quite slowly, and asked "don't you just love the wind?"

I do - but I have a recumbent :-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old October 18th 04, 04:24 PM
Rick Warner

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 05:39:11 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Fighting a killer headwind* on the flats today I passed another
rider, quite slowly, and asked "don't you just love the wind?"

"It's the best," he replied.

Makes you wonder how people who post about riding can end
up being fractious bozos who won't agree with anything
reasonable even though they're not trying to torpedo
through 15 mph gusting to 25...

Try 25 gusting to 40 with rain falling at up to 1"/hour. Then write
back.

- rick
Old October 18th 04, 05:40 PM
Rick Warner

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:24:13 GMT, Rick Warner
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 05:39:11 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Fighting a killer headwind* on the flats today I passed another
rider, quite slowly, and asked "don't you just love the wind?"

"It's the best," he replied.

Makes you wonder how people who post about riding can end
up being fractious bozos who won't agree with anything
reasonable even though they're not trying to torpedo
through 15 mph gusting to 25...

Try 25 gusting to 40 with rain falling at up to 1"/hour. Then write
back.

And to answer the obvious follow-on, yes I rode in those conditions
this year, part of the 6000 miles so far, less than anticipated due to
being off bike for 6 weeks for a broken hand after getting hit by a
wrong way cyclist. Rode 45 miles with 4500 ft of climbing in the rain
yesterday, with 20 pounds of baggage on the bike. Rode over a pass in
the Alps in snow flurries at 9000ft+ this summer with 35 pounds of
baggage, after holding back for a day due to heavy snow. And I have
done long stretches (15+miles) up the coast into 20-30 mile per hour
headwinds, part of 100 mile days. Riding into 15-25 mile headwinds is
just normal, part of the everyday scene.

- rick
Old October 18th 04, 07:08 PM
dgk

wrote:

[...]

I am really, really going to try not to say nasty things when biking
up the 59th Street Bridge in NYC anymore.

I have noticed that the wind shifts from westerly to easterly
depending whether I'm going west or east though. I reserve the right
to say nasty things about that.
Old October 18th 04, 10:37 PM
Rick Warner

dgk wrote in message . ..

I am really, really going to try not to say nasty things when biking
up the 59th Street Bridge in NYC anymore.

Yes, but do you hear Simon and Garfunkel in your head as you ride that
route? (for those too young or who were not devotees of S&G back in
the 60's, they had a song called the 59th Street Bridge Song; I was
riding up one of the local hills, Page Mill Road, weekend before last
and about halfway up there is a rather funky looking house with lots
of cars parked out front. On that particular day as I approached and
passed they were blaring that particular song at high volume; as I
passed the lyrics 'slow down, you move too fast, you got to make the
morning last' were echoing around me :-) ).

I have noticed that the wind shifts from westerly to easterly
depending whether I'm going west or east though. I reserve the right
to say nasty things about that.

Hey, you can say all the nasty stuff about the weather you want. Its
your right! ;-)

- rick
Old October 19th 04, 01:50 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 05:39:11 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Fighting a killer headwind* on the flats today I passed another
rider, quite slowly, and asked "don't you just love the wind?"

I do - but I have a recumbent :-)

And you benters also have your own newsgroup.

You know what I think about benters, so I won't repeat
myself, other than to say, even if those contraptions didn't
make you look silly, they are very dangerous, unstable, and
very slow.

Old October 19th 04, 02:35 AM
Mike Kruger

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" wrote in message

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message

I do - but I have a recumbent :-)

And you benters also have your own newsgroup.

Newsflash: racers do, too.
A search on google groups for Fabrizio in rec.bicycles.racing shows up 1280
entries, so maybe you just get forgetful at the end of the season.

Old October 19th 04, 02:49 AM
Dick Durbin

dgk wrote in message . ..
I am really, really going to try not to say nasty things when biking
up the 59th Street Bridge in NYC anymore.

But are you lookin' for fun and feelin'groovy?
Old October 19th 04, 04:14 AM
alan

wrote:

[...]

ya ns. i have this problem too. the daytime wind funnels through this city
out of the southwest and then at night it mellows before i get a change to
have it behind me. not to mention rain. oh well, my quads are strong and my
gloves smell like cheese!