No disagreement

Old October 20th 04, 11:06 PM
Blair P. Houghton

Rick Warner wrote:
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 05:39:11 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Fighting a killer headwind* on the flats today I passed another
rider, quite slowly, and asked "don't you just love the wind?"

"It's the best," he replied.

Makes you wonder how people who post about riding can end
up being fractious bozos who won't agree with anything
reasonable even though they're not trying to torpedo
through 15 mph gusting to 25...

Try 25 gusting to 40 with rain falling at up to 1"/hour. Then write
back.

You're the sort I was talking about.

--Blair
"I fart in your general direction;
which is pretty easy in a peloton..."
Old October 20th 04, 11:10 PM
Blair P. Houghton

Rick Warner wrote:
And to answer the obvious follow-on, yes I rode in those conditions
this year, part of the 6000 miles so far, less than anticipated due to
being off bike for 6 weeks for a broken hand after getting hit by a
wrong way cyclist. Rode 45 miles with 4500 ft of climbing in the rain
yesterday, with 20 pounds of baggage on the bike. Rode over a pass in
the Alps in snow flurries at 9000ft+ this summer with 35 pounds of
baggage, after holding back for a day due to heavy snow. And I have
done long stretches (15+miles) up the coast into 20-30 mile per hour
headwinds, part of 100 mile days. Riding into 15-25 mile headwinds is
just normal, part of the everyday scene.

Reread what I wrote. It wasn't about the wind. It was about
the way assholes don't show up on the road.

BTW, I had a flat tire this morning and had to carry my bike home
after only 20 minutes of riding.

So my day sucked more than your year.

--Blair
"And I had a brand new
lid to try out, too..."
Old October 21st 04, 01:57 AM
Ronsonic

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 22:10:45 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Rick Warner wrote:
[...]

Having read several of your other posts, I'm inclined to believe that a lot of
your days suck worse than most anyone else's years.

Even the best of them have to be spent in your company.

Ron

Old October 21st 04, 06:21 AM
Rick Warner

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 22:06:04 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Rick Warner wrote:
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 05:39:11 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Fighting a killer headwind* on the flats today I passed another
rider, quite slowly, and asked "don't you just love the wind?"

"It's the best," he replied.

Makes you wonder how people who post about riding can end
up being fractious bozos who won't agree with anything
reasonable even though they're not trying to torpedo
through 15 mph gusting to 25...

Try 25 gusting to 40 with rain falling at up to 1"/hour. Then write
back.

You're the sort I was talking about.

Hmmm, since I do ride through wind, rain and everything else I do not
fit the final criteria in your list, probably others as well.

- rick
Old October 21st 04, 08:26 AM
Cheto

"Blair P. Houghton" wrote in message

BTW, I had a flat tire this morning and had to carry my bike home
after only 20 minutes of riding.

Huh? Why didn't you simply repair or replace the tube with the most basic
flat repair tools that ANY cyclist with an iota of common sense ALWAYS
carries. You do carry flat repair tools, don't you?

Cheto

Old October 21st 04, 06:57 PM
the black rose

Cheto wrote:
"Blair P. Houghton" wrote in message

BTW, I had a flat tire this morning and had to carry my bike home
after only 20 minutes of riding.

Huh? Why didn't you simply repair or replace the tube with the most basic
flat repair tools that ANY cyclist with an iota of common sense ALWAYS
carries. You do carry flat repair tools, don't you?

I believe he has said elsewhere something about depending on
those carried by other riders.

*shrug*

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester

proud to be owned by a yorkie
Old October 21st 04, 07:00 PM
Rick Warner

"Cheto" wrote in message ...
"Blair P. Houghton" wrote in message

BTW, I had a flat tire this morning and had to carry my bike home
after only 20 minutes of riding.

Huh? Why didn't you simply repair or replace the tube with the most basic
flat repair tools that ANY cyclist with an iota of common sense ALWAYS
carries. You do carry flat repair tools, don't you?

Apparently not.

The only time in recent memory I had to carry a bike was last winter
when the freewheel on my 17 year old bike decided to open up and drop
all its little bearings on the pavement. Fortunately I was just 3
miles from home. And no, I do not carry a spare freewheel ;-)

- rick
Old October 21st 04, 07:36 PM
dgk

On 21 Oct 2004 10:13:54 -0700, (AustinBoston) wrote:

(Dick Durbin) wrote in message om...
dgk wrote in message . ..
I am really, really going to try not to say nasty things when biking
up the 59th Street Bridge in NYC anymore.

But are you lookin' for fun and feelin'groovy?

That mutch is fine...it's when he starts talking to the lamp post that
I have to remind myself...he's in NYC...he's in NYC...

Austin

Have I mentioned how someone stole the lamp post in order to get my
lock? I'll repeat it anyway.

I finally bought a big heavy chain and lock at the Bike Show during
May (Bike Month). I used it for several weeks, leaving it locked to
the lamp post (the one I talk to) in front of the building where I
work. Lock the bike in the morning, leave the chain in the evening
when I depart.

One day I did not take the bike for some reason. I walk out during
lunch, glance where the chain has been left, and the chain is gone. So
is the lamp post, leaving just the two foot high metal footer that
holds the electical cables and upon which the actual post is bolted.

Now, a lamp post is easily 25 feet high. Big metal thing. I say, "well
look at that, someone took the lamp post just to get my lock".
Actually, those are not the exact words that I used. This IS New York
City.

Two days later the thief put the lamp post back. But he kept my lock.

spoiler below...

It was of course a contractor replacing the lamp post. But I leave
that part out for poetic license. It's funnier thinking that someone
moved a half a ton of metal just to get my lock. Pretty funny this way
also, except for poor me who was out a big heavy chain and lock. And
not a tubular lock either!
Old October 21st 04, 07:37 PM
Bill Baka

On 21 Oct 2004 11:00:08 -0700, Rick Warner
wrote:

"Cheto" wrote in message
"Blair P. Houghton" wrote in message

BTW, I had a flat tire this morning and had to carry my bike home
after only 20 minutes of riding.

Huh? Why didn't you simply repair or replace the tube with the most
basic
flat repair tools that ANY cyclist with an iota of common sense ALWAYS
carries. You do carry flat repair tools, don't you?

Apparently not.

The only time in recent memory I had to carry a bike was last winter
when the freewheel on my 17 year old bike decided to open up and drop
all its little bearings on the pavement. Fortunately I was just 3
miles from home. And no, I do not carry a spare freewheel ;-)

- rick

Kind of like last year when my bottom bracket spit out all of its
bearings. I tried using the bike as a scooter, standing on one pedal
and jumping/pushing with the other but that got old so I called
the wife. Another time a pedal flat snapped off so I could not
even play scooter. You can only carry so much stuff. Maybe a trailer
with a whole spare bike? Things break down when THEY want to,
not when it is convenient for the rider.
Bill Baka