White van man gets his come-uppance

Old October 23rd 04, 07:53 PM
Dave Kahn

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:54:08 GMT, "neil0502"
wrote:

Mike VM wrote (in small part -- liberal excision involved):

I took his number, got another witness and /grassed him up to the local
plod/ [emphasis added]

I really *do* have to visit the U.K. some time!

While I have absolutely no idea what that means, I'd really be tickled just
to hear it in person :-)

The origin of "grass" is not entirely clear. Most probably it's a
contraction of the Cockney rhyming slang "grasshopper" for "shopper",
meaning an informer, that is someone who makes visits to the "cop
shop". "To shop" someone also means "to inform" on them in British
slang.

The "plod" are the police. I think this derives from the character of
Mr. Plod the policeman in the Noddy stories by Enid Blyton.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain
Old October 23rd 04, 08:11 PM
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:58:27 GMT, The Oldfellow
wrote:

Smoking in bars in California is illegal.

It might be so in England before long. Ireland has done it and
Liverpool is now thinking about it.

Old October 23rd 04, 09:40 PM
the.Mark

Gonzalez wrote:
Smoking in bars in California is illegal.

What about having sex in a bar?

I wonder which is more common.

I know someone who got barred from a pub in Edinburgh for having sex, I've
never seen anyone smoking in a bar in California.
Never been to California ;-)
--
Mark

1x1 wheel, 3x2 wheels & 1x3 wheels.

Old October 23rd 04, 10:32 PM
Dave Kahn

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:40:58 +0000 (UTC), "the.Mark"
wrote:

I know someone who got barred from a pub in Edinburgh for having sex

I hope they waited till he was finished.

Old October 23rd 04, 11:44 PM
the.Mark

wrote:

I know someone who got barred from a pub in Edinburgh for
having sex

I hope they waited till he was finished.

It was a she. And no, I don't know if she had finished. It was a long long
time ago.