Use the cloud for tracking your rides?

Old March 8th 20, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Use the cloud for tracking your rides?

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/20/03...cked-his-bike-
ride-past-a-burglary-and-that-made-him-a-suspect

"I was using an app to see how many miles I rode my bike and now it was
putting me at the scene of the crime," said Zachary McCoy. Yep, that's
all it took. Google's legal investigations support team emailed him to
let him know that local police had demanded information related to his
Google account. The man's lawyer dug around and learned that the notice
had been prompted by a "geofence warrant," a police surveillance tool
that casts a virtual dragnet over crime scenes, sweeping up Google
location data — drawn from users' GPS, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and cellular
connections — from everyone nearby.
Old March 8th 20, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sun, 8 Mar 2020 03:48:16 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/20/03...cked-his-bike-
ride-past-a-burglary-and-that-made-him-a-suspect

"I was using an app to see how many miles I rode my bike and now it was
putting me at the scene of the crime," said Zachary McCoy. Yep, that's
all it took. Google's legal investigations support team emailed him to
let him know that local police had demanded information related to his
Google account. The man's lawyer dug around and learned that the notice
had been prompted by a "geofence warrant," a police surveillance tool
that casts a virtual dragnet over crime scenes, sweeping up Google
location data — drawn from users' GPS, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and cellular
connections — from everyone nearby.

It isn't only Google, Sydney has 60,000 CCTV surveillance cameras
while Canberra has only 2,470 :-0
--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 8th 20, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

uh, Sydney is about 4-1/2 million people but Canberra is
different in kind with 300,000+. It's not merely an
arithmetic difference but rather in the nature of very large
cities now.

Not that I'm defending state surveillance but you'd be hard
pressed to find extreme video monitoring of the citizenry in
any city Canberra's size.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 8th 20, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

There's a further important difference between Sydney and Canberra. Canberra is a purpose-built city of senior bureaucrats and the seat of Australia's government. (Think of Brasilia and that model city Mussolini built in the middle of a malaria swamp.) Why should the lawmakers spy on themselves?

Andre Jute
Off to dinner
Old March 9th 20, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

For some reason CCTV density seems to be somehow equated to
population, although I suspect a more accurate figure might be
population density, but Canberra has 5.46 camera per 1,000 population.
As a comparison Washington, DC, has 5.61/1,000 and Bangkok 5.16/1,000.

Out of curiosity I calculated camera density per sq.km. and get:
Canberra - 814 km.sq - 2,472 CCTV = 3.04 CCTV per sq.km.
Washington - 177 km/sq. - 4,000 CCTV = 22.59/sq/km.
Bangkok - 1,568 sq.km. - 53,429 CCTV = 34.07/sq.km.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 9th 20, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

wrote:

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/20/03...e-tracked-his-

[...]

The cameras are not evenly distributed through out each area,but at
deemed focal points like roadway intersections, parliament house, main
streets, etc.

You can garantee a good percentage are not working and a larger
percentage are not actively monitored or even recorded for a significant
period. All these really do is provide evidence for revenge, aka after
the fact action.

That is without considering anti-identification preparation, the most
common of which is the hoodie. Or even the black helmeted motor cyclist
who covers over their number plate whilst they drive up and disable a
'surveillance' camera. That occurs infrequently.

In many case, plod looks to mobile phone/device logging first. A number
of peole have fallen foul of their GPS device giving their tracks away.
Old March 9th 20, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

wrote:

[...]

They do spy on themselves full time, but most of the cameras wouldbe fear
of the voters finally deciding on physical ejection. That Parliament
house is a fortified edific patrolled with machine gun toting renta-cop
who even forget they are there to serve parliament and the elected
members.

Meanwhile 'state actors' have free access to their virtual world via the
telecommunications network. Go figure.

Andre Jute Off to dinner

Old March 9th 20, 08:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 08.03.2020 um 04:48 schrieb news18:
https://yro.slashdot.org/story/20/03...cked-his-bike-
ride-past-a-burglary-and-that-made-him-a-suspect

"I was using an app to see how many miles I rode my bike and now it was
putting me at the scene of the crime," said Zachary McCoy. Yep, that's
all it took. Google's legal investigations support team emailed him to
let him know that local police had demanded information related to his
Google account. The man's lawyer dug around and learned that the notice
had been prompted by a "geofence warrant," a police surveillance tool
that casts a virtual dragnet over crime scenes, sweeping up Google
location data — drawn from users' GPS, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and cellular
connections — from everyone nearby.

The story is a bit inconsistent. While Google places this guy to the
place of the burglary, it also gives him a water-proof alibi: he never
spent more than 30 seconds or so in the vicinity of the crime location...
Old March 9th 20, 11:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Mon, 09 Mar 2020 09:25:21 +0100, Rolf Mantel wrote:

[...]

Exactly, unless plod is gong to invoke fast crime, like fast food.
Sadly they've made a t of dubious claims over the decades.

Old March 9th 20, 03:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/9/2020 4:25 AM, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 08.03.2020 um 04:48 schrieb news18:
https://yro.slashdot.org/story/20/03...cked-his-bike-
ride-past-a-burglary-and-that-made-him-a-suspect

"I was using an app to see how many miles I rode my bike and now it was
putting me at the scene of the crime," said Zachary McCoy. Yep, that's
all it took. Google's legal investigations support team emailed him to
let him know that local police had demanded information related to his
Google account. The man's lawyer dug around and learned that the notice
had been prompted by a "geofence warrant," a police surveillance tool
that casts a virtual dragnet over crime scenes, sweeping up Google
location data — drawn from users' GPS, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and cellular
connections — from everyone nearby.

The story is a bit inconsistent.Â* While Google places this guy to the
place of the burglary, it also gives him a water-proof alibi: he never
spent more than 30 seconds or so in the vicinity of the crime location...

Good point.

--
- Frank Krygowski

St. Cloud, MN SARIN Unicycling 1 September 2nd 07 03:52 PM
Tracking rides hiyaa General 8 May 11th 07 12:49 PM
Every cloud ... Don Whybrow UK 6 November 19th 06 01:48 PM
My own persoanl rain cloud. vernon levy UK 6 May 31st 04 08:01 PM
Big Apple 29er aka "Cloud Niner" KnowFear Unicycling 2 January 1st 04 07:03 AM