Black Friday??

Old March 14th 20, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Black Friday??

On Fri, 13 Mar 2020 21:41:19 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Friday, 13 March 2020 23:26:56 UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 13 Mar 2020 19:25:24 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Friday, 13 March 2020 18:51:07 UTC-4, John B. wrote:
The local news, today, had an article about "Black Friday". In the
context here it "celebrated" a protest against the government (of a
hundred people)but in the body of the article it referred to a holiday
in the U.S. which is celebrated by a frenzy of shopping as it is the
first shopping day before Christmas.

Is there such a thing? Or is this just another example of a reporter
trying to bolster her story?
--
cheers,

John B.

Here in Canada, especially in Ontario, Black Friday has a far different meaning than it does in the USA. Friday, February 20, 1959 is the date that the then Conservative government cancelled the Avro Arrow CF-105 and the Orenda Iroquois jet engine programs. That date is know as Black Friday and, to quote Roosevelt, is a day that shall live in infamy!

Cheers

And nearly 30,000 employees were thrown out of work :-(
--
cheers,

John B.

A lot of those were very highly skilled engineers and some went to Britain and others went to work for NASA and/or the Skunk Works in the USA amongst other airplane makers.

Many Canadian families still won't vote Conservative because of that Black Friday.

Cheers

One of the problems with being a politician is that it is so easy to
be wrong.

I read up on the CF-105 episode and it seemed very political. But had
the program not been cancelled would Canada have become a major
defense manufacturer? Which is what it would have necessitated to
recover the cost of developing the aircraft and engine.

I also noted that Canada bought the F-101 and a rocket system as
substitute systems. The rocket system I'm not familiar with but the
F-101 had a somewhat lack luster career in the U.S.A.F. although there
were some RF-101's used in Vietnam :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 14th 20, 06:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

Prior to the CF-105 program Canada had looked at the F-101 Voodoo and said that it did not meet Canadian requirements. Oh the irony.

Ah yes, the Bomarc nuclear rocket system aka The Big Lemon.

What I though interesting is years later when Canada bought the high-altitude interceptor the F-104S Starfighter and used it in a ground-attack role. That aircraft earned the nickname "the Widow Maker".

A lot of people still talk about the Avro Arrow CF-105 interceptor but for some strange reason refer to it as a fantastic FIGHTER. Hah. It was an interceptor pure and simple.

Cheers
Old March 14th 20, 07:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

But, of course it was a "fighter" it was an "F", not an "I" :-)

But I think that, at least since the days of cloth covered airplanes,
that single engine aircraft have generally been called "Fighters".

The F-104, again, was not a sparkling success in the U.S.A.F. either.
The original ones had a downward ejection seat which was not of much
use at low levels.

When I was at the Test Center at Edwards AFB there were several
F-104's there used for astronaut training. As the things would fly at
mach 2 they could stay in a zero gravity maneuver longer than any
other airplane. I remember that we built some special instrumentation
for them to use in zero gravity for training.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 14th 20, 08:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, March 14, 2020 at 1:16:55 AM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/13/2020 6:50 PM, John B. wrote:

FWIW, our Thanksgiving is four or five chunks of the extended family
spending a couple days in what was once an old farmhouse. (It's now
totally re-done, modernized and super-insulated. And there's a nice game
room in the barn.) There's a big dinner, of course, and always a long
walk on a gravel road. There are lots of games, and fun playing with kids.

On Friday, the ladies browse little local antique stores. The guys go to
a hot dog shop, then browse the really neat used tool store a few doors
down. I bought a draw knife last year. One of the other guys bought his
first micrometer.

How stereotype.....for a Walt Disney movie ;-). 'browse little local antique (old broken crap) stores' geezz Frank.

Lou

Old March 14th 20, 01:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Meanwhile, let's pause for a chorus of O Canada:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/13/canadi...accine-effort/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 14th 20, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 3/13/2020 5:39 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/13/2020 5:50 PM, John B. wrote:

The local news, today, had an article about "Black Friday". In the
context here it "celebrated" a protest against the government (of a
hundred people)but in the body of the article it referred to a holiday
in the U.S. which is celebrated by a frenzy of shopping as it is the
first shopping day before Christmas.

Is there such a thing? Or is this just another example of a reporter
trying to bolster her story?
--
cheers,

John B.

It is real, an invention of the marketing and retail industries (see
also Secretaries' Day, which I only know about because I am a corporate
secretary, or the new Valentine's Day in Japan celebrated by women
giving men chocolate).Â* It's the Friday after Thanksgiving and precedes
Cyber Monday, another recent invention.

None of which has anything to do with the Christian Black Friday of course.

Ummm, didja mean "Good Friday"?

If so, I have never heard it named "Black Friday", although black
(fabric) is used/worn a lot that day.

Mark J.
Old March 14th 20, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/14/2020 10:45 AM, Mark J. wrote:
[...]

chocolate). It's the Friday after Thanksgiving and
precedes Cyber Monday, another recent invention.

None of which has anything to do with the Christian Black
Friday of course.

Ummm, didja mean "Good Friday"?

If so, I have never heard it named "Black Friday", although
black (fabric) is used/worn a lot that day.

Mark J.

Catholics say Good Friday, but I remember Black Friday as
well, before the shopping flacks took over

Old March 14th 20, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, 14 March 2020 12:14:50 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

The song "LORD OF THE DANCE" has these lines in it:
"I dance on a Friday and the world turned black
it's hard to dance with the devil on your back"

So, Black Friday for Good Friday (aka God's Friday) would also be appropriate.

Cheers
Old March 14th 20, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

That should be "danced" not "dance".

Cheers
Old March 14th 20, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/14/2020 4:50 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, March 14, 2020 at 1:16:55 AM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/13/2020 6:50 PM, John B. wrote:

FWIW, our Thanksgiving is four or five chunks of the extended family
spending a couple days in what was once an old farmhouse. (It's now
totally re-done, modernized and super-insulated. And there's a nice game
room in the barn.) There's a big dinner, of course, and always a long
walk on a gravel road. There are lots of games, and fun playing with kids.

On Friday, the ladies browse little local antique stores. The guys go to
a hot dog shop, then browse the really neat used tool store a few doors
down. I bought a draw knife last year. One of the other guys bought his
first micrometer.

How stereotype.....for a Walt Disney movie ;-). 'browse little local antique (old broken crap) stores' geezz Frank.

Sorry, Lou. It's what we do.

I'll never be into typical antiques - except for the equipment on my
bikes, of course! ;-)

But this tool store is very, very cool. Everything is spotless, all
tools are neatly on shelves arranged by type, some stuff is really
obscure (and makes an interesting puzzle), and prices are excellent.
It's fun browsing, and even the young lads in the family enjoy it.

I just remembered I also bought a pair of needle nose locking pliers
last year - one of the few hand tools I didn't yet own.

--
- Frank Krygowski