Black Friday??

Old March 14th 20, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Black Friday??

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 08:34:02 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 3/14/2020 1:18 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, 14 March 2020 01:39:22 UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 13 Mar 2020 21:41:19 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Friday, 13 March 2020 23:26:56 UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 13 Mar 2020 19:25:24 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Friday, 13 March 2020 18:51:07 UTC-4, John B. wrote:
The local news, today, had an article about "Black Friday". In the
context here it "celebrated" a protest against the government (of a
hundred people)but in the body of the article it referred to a holiday
in the U.S. which is celebrated by a frenzy of shopping as it is the
first shopping day before Christmas.

Is there such a thing? Or is this just another example of a reporter
trying to bolster her story?
--
cheers,

John B.

Here in Canada, especially in Ontario, Black Friday has a far different meaning than it does in the USA. Friday, February 20, 1959 is the date that the then Conservative government cancelled the Avro Arrow CF-105 and the Orenda Iroquois jet engine programs. That date is know as Black Friday and, to quote Roosevelt, is a day that shall live in infamy!

Cheers

And nearly 30,000 employees were thrown out of work :-(
--
cheers,

John B.

A lot of those were very highly skilled engineers and some went to Britain and others went to work for NASA and/or the Skunk Works in the USA amongst other airplane makers.

Many Canadian families still won't vote Conservative because of that Black Friday.

Cheers

One of the problems with being a politician is that it is so easy to
be wrong.

I read up on the CF-105 episode and it seemed very political. But had
the program not been cancelled would Canada have become a major
defense manufacturer? Which is what it would have necessitated to
recover the cost of developing the aircraft and engine.

I also noted that Canada bought the F-101 and a rocket system as
substitute systems. The rocket system I'm not familiar with but the
F-101 had a somewhat lack luster career in the U.S.A.F. although there
were some RF-101's used in Vietnam :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Prior to the CF-105 program Canada had looked at the F-101 Voodoo and said that it did not meet Canadian requirements. Oh the irony.

Ah yes, the Bomarc nuclear rocket system aka The Big Lemon.

What I though interesting is years later when Canada bought the high-altitude interceptor the F-104S Starfighter and used it in a ground-attack role. That aircraft earned the nickname "the Widow Maker".

A lot of people still talk about the Avro Arrow CF-105 interceptor but for some strange reason refer to it as a fantastic FIGHTER. Hah. It was an interceptor pure and simple.

Cheers

Meanwhile, let's pause for a chorus of O Canada:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/13/canadi...accine-effort/

And, referenced in that article, the Chinese say that:
https://nypost.com/2020/03/10/corona...officials-say/

Eight institutes in the country are working on five approaches to
inoculations in an effort to combat COVID-19, according to the South
China Morning Post ... According to our estimates, we are hopeful that
in April some of the vaccines will enter clinical research or be of
use in emergency situations...
--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 14th 20, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 05:50:59 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Is there such a thing? Or is this just another example of a reporter
trying to bolster her story?

"Black Friday" was coined by policemen on traffic-control duty, but as
the term spread, it was retconned to apply to black ink. No use
advertising "Black Friday" sales if it makes people think of getting
caught in traffic jams!

A decade or so ago, my family used to meet at my sister's house on
Thanksgiving. Dave and I would stay in a hotel and her youngest
son's family would sleep upstairs, where two of the children's
bedrooms remained. (The other two were used as attic space.) Her
other children lived near enough to come back the next day.

On Friday, The girls and one of the boys would pile into the youngest
son's van and drive to Kokomo, where we would visit only stores that
had plenty of parking spaces visible from the highway. That always
included the Op Shop, an art glass-blowing shop. A few weeks ago I
read a story in the business section of the paper that said that
people have found out that there is something really cool on that back
street. They are calling it something else now, but it was the same
place.

And we'd have a nice lunch that we didn't have to cook.

The boys were supposed to stay at their mother's house, shoot the
wiley skeet (she lived in a farmhouse, so there was plenty of room for
buckshot) and eat up the left-overs.

Instead, they made a big pot of chili, so there were always more
leftovers to dispose of when we got back than when we left.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old March 15th 20, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Thanksgiving, in my youth, was always celebrated at my maternal grand
parents house, perhaps because we lived in the same village as my
father's folks and saw them every day while my mother's family lived
60 miles away... seems like just a short distance today but back in
the day it was a two hour drive and I remember my father having the
oil changed and the old Model A greased in preparation for the trip.
My mother's three sisters (no sons in that family) lived about 60
miles the other way so it was a big trip for all of us.

So, up early to get a "good start", dinner abut one o'clock, the
"dining room" was too small for the crowd so we always ate in the big
old farm kitchen with two tables pushed together in order to seat
everyone. After dinner the ladies always sat in the kitchen and
discussed, well whatever ladies discussed, while the men folks sat in
the "front room" and discussed important things, like whether the cow
would give have a bull calf or a heifer that year.... "cow's getting
on, be nice if it was a heifer.."

About five everyone would be back in the kitchen having a last snack
before leaving and packing the left over's to take home and then off
we went. If anyone had remembered to get gas why we might not even
stop once on the trip home.

Then it was left over turkey in the lunch box for the next week :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 15th 20, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 05:50:59 +0700, John B. wrote:

The local news, today, had an article about "Black Friday". In the
context here it "celebrated" a protest against the government (of a
hundred people)but in the body of the article it referred to a holiday
in the U.S. which is celebrated by a frenzy of shopping as it is the
first shopping day before Christmas.

Growing up, in our household that was the 27th of December, as, in those
dqys, the 26th was am declared holiday.
Old March 15th 20, 11:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/13/2020 3:50 PM, John B. wrote:

The local news, today, had an article about "Black Friday". In the
context here it "celebrated" a protest against the government (of a
hundred people)but in the body of the article it referred to a holiday
in the U.S. which is celebrated by a frenzy of shopping as it is the
first shopping day before Christmas.

Is there such a thing? Or is this just another example of a reporter
trying to bolster her story?

Used to be that the day after Thanksgiving was a big shopping day
because most people didn't have to go to work. Stores would offer
limited quantities of heavily discounted merchandise to get customers
into the store and customers would line up early in the morning to get
the "doorbusters." It's largely disappeared.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/27/style/black-friday-has-no-meaning.html
Old March 15th 20, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 04:55:59 -0700, sms wrote:

On 3/13/2020 3:50 PM, John B. wrote:

The local news, today, had an article about "Black Friday". In the
context here it "celebrated" a protest against the government (of a
hundred people)but in the body of the article it referred to a holiday
in the U.S. which is celebrated by a frenzy of shopping as it is the
first shopping day before Christmas.

Is there such a thing? Or is this just another example of a reporter
trying to bolster her story?

Used to be that the day after Thanksgiving was a big shopping day
because most people didn't have to go to work. Stores would offer
limited quantities of heavily discounted merchandise to get customers
into the store and customers would line up early in the morning to get
the "doorbusters." It's largely disappeared.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/27/s...friday-has-no-

meaning.html

Be careful what you buy at these. My first job after hogh school was a
summer casual job as a storeman at Woolworth variety store.

my main b was to recieve delivers and general as asked, with the fill in
directive of "tidy up the storerrom" which I procceded to do.

After about two months, ne of the senior staff approached me and asked me
what I was old to do and i replied as above. She then explained that they
hqad three product lines; regular, seansonal and special. Woops, I'd been
putting like, with like.

If something was on "special" then it wasn't the same as the regular
stock, like lots of cardboard in shoes or cheaper fill in pillows, lesser
quality in clothing, thinner rubber in gum boots, etc, et.es.

In other words, you were not gettig the same item as the regular item.

Armed with this experience, I've noticed in a wide variety of businesses,
they also have "special items".

Bicycle content; at that summer job, they received a batch of "boxed
bicycles" that the customer was suppossed to assemble themselves. First
inklng that this wouldn't go too well was when asked to assemble two for
display, I had to cannablse a third box to make to working bikes. Funny
how all, bar the two display models came back for refund and the store
finally managed to sell 60% of the bicycles after I assembled them as
display models. There was just too many missing parts to assemble any
more. I think it was mainly pedals, seats and other bits, but a few
wheels were missing bearings.
Old March 16th 20, 09:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 14.03.2020 um 19:37 schrieb Sir Ridesalot:
On Saturday, 14 March 2020 14:36:02 UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, 14 March 2020 12:14:50 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/14/2020 10:45 AM, Mark J. wrote:
On 3/13/2020 5:39 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/13/2020 5:50 PM, John B. wrote:

The local news, today, had an article about "Black
Friday". In the
context here it "celebrated" a protest against the
government (of a
hundred people)but in the body of the article it referred
to a holiday
in the U.S. which is celebrated by a frenzy of shopping
as it is the
first shopping day before Christmas.

Is there such a thing? Or is this just another example of
a reporter
trying to bolster her story?
--
cheers,

John B.

It is real, an invention of the marketing and retail
industries (see also Secretaries' Day, which I only know
about because I am a corporate secretary, or the new
Valentine's Day in Japan celebrated by women giving men
chocolate). It's the Friday after Thanksgiving and
precedes Cyber Monday, another recent invention.

None of which has anything to do with the Christian Black
Friday of course.

Ummm, didja mean "Good Friday"?

If so, I have never heard it named "Black Friday", although
black (fabric) is used/worn a lot that day.

Mark J.

Catholics say Good Friday, but I remember Black Friday as
well, before the shopping flacks took over

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

The song "LORD OF THE DANCE" has these lines in it:
"I dance on a Friday and the world turned black
it's hard to dance with the devil on your back"

So, Black Friday for Good Friday (aka God's Friday) would also be appropriate.

That should be "danced" not "dance".

And "The Sky" rather than "The world".

Old March 17th 20, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Fri, 13 Mar 2020 20:16:52 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

FWIW, our Thanksgiving is four or five chunks of the extended family
spending a couple days in what was once an old farmhouse. (It's now
totally re-done, modernized and super-insulated. And there's a nice
game room in the barn.) There's a big dinner, of course, and always a
long walk on a gravel road. There are lots of games, and fun playing
with kids.

On Friday, the ladies browse little local antique stores. The guys go
to a hot dog shop, then browse the really neat used tool store a few
doors down. I bought a draw knife last year. One of the other guys
bought his first micrometer.

Hmmm, used tool store! The cool thing is that both the guys and the
ladies probably think they had the better time of it.

We have had two Thanksgivings every year since the late 70s. The family
Thanksgiving on the usual day and the "family of choice" celebration the
Saturday before, which has been going on since 1979 among my college
friends- it began in the dorm and has carried on every year since
(missing once when the host's father passed away). I cherish both.
Old March 17th 20, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 11:14:46 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Catholics say Good Friday, but I remember Black Friday as well, before
the shopping flacks took over

I've never heard Good Friday called Black Friday, although the logic is
clear. But I was raised Catholic, so that might explain that! My Mom
was Lutheran, but the surface differences are not that great.
Old March 17th 20, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/16/2020 10:33 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 11:14:46 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Catholics say Good Friday, but I remember Black Friday as well, before
the shopping flacks took over

I've never heard Good Friday called Black Friday, although the logic is
clear. But I was raised Catholic, so that might explain that! My Mom
was Lutheran, but the surface differences are not that great.

Seems appropriate to wish you a happy St. Patrick's day!

--
- Frank Krygowski