Chainring debate?

Old March 16th 20, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Chainring debate?

Is this really a "great debate"? Seems like a tiny one to me:

https://sports.yahoo.com/great-chain...114608596.html

But they are a sort of mini- or micro-trend, I guess.

Brand new! For the 8th time or so, that is.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 17th 20, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 13:13:01 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Is this really a "great debate"? Seems like a tiny one to me:

https://sports.yahoo.com/great-chain...114608596.html

But they are a sort of mini- or micro-trend, I guess.

Brand new! For the 8th time or so, that is.

You... you mean... you mean that you aren't going to rush out and buy
a new oval chain ring? Unbelievable!

Or will you be using the old one that you bought ten years ago :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 17th 20, 04:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

wrote:

Is this really a "great debate"? Seems like a tiny one to me:

https://sports.yahoo.com/great-chainring-debate-oval-

round-114608596.html

But they are a sort of mini- or micro-trend, I guess.

Brand new! For the 8th time or so, that is.

You... you mean... you mean that you aren't going to rush out and buy a
new oval chain ring? Unbelievable!

Or will you be using the old one that you bought ten years ago :-)

No and No, but it was given to me over thirty years ago. It eventually
broke into four pieces.

Old March 17th 20, 05:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

Is this really a "great debate"? Seems like a tiny one to me:

https://sports.yahoo.com/great-chainring-debate-oval-

round-114608596.html

But they are a sort of mini- or micro-trend, I guess.

Brand new! For the 8th time or so, that is.

You... you mean... you mean that you aren't going to rush out and buy a
new oval chain ring? Unbelievable!

Or will you be using the old one that you bought ten years ago :-)

No and No, but it was given to me over thirty years ago. It eventually
broke into four pieces.

Years ago, I remember reading about the "new" chain ring and it did
seem rather logical but as the round ring I had worked I never bought
one and I suspect that it is one reason why it never became very
popular.

I just read an article about the "new" rings that stated that the
writers had researched the history and "We found four studies that
revealed improvement, and five that did not".

I find it interesting that "Sir Bradley Wiggins became the first
Briton to win the Tour de France riding oval rings,", but, "Wiggins
reverted to round rings towards the end of his career and continued to
win at the highest level, including the World Championship time
trial."
--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 17th 20, 10:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

wrote:

Is this really a "great debate"? Seems like a tiny one to me:

https://sports.yahoo.com/great-chainring-debate-oval-

round-114608596.html

But they are a sort of mini- or micro-trend, I guess.

Brand new! For the 8th time or so, that is.

You... you mean... you mean that you aren't going to rush out and buy
a new oval chain ring? Unbelievable!

Or will you be using the old one that you bought ten years ago :-)

No and No, but it was given to me over thirty years ago. It eventually
broke into four pieces.

Years ago, I remember reading about the "new" chain ring and it did seem
rather logical but as the round ring I had worked I never bought one and
I suspect that it is one reason why it never became very popular.

It is a different stroke going from hard to soft to hard to soft. IE,
that takes a bit of getting used to. I also found some hill starts very
difficult. YMMV. As I said,it was a gift as the purchaser didnt lie it
either.
Old March 17th 20, 01:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

Is this really a "great debate"? Seems like a tiny one to me:

https://sports.yahoo.com/great-chain...114608596.html

But they are a sort of mini- or micro-trend, I guess.

Brand new! For the 8th time or so, that is.

You... you mean... you mean that you aren't going to rush out and buy
a new oval chain ring? Unbelievable!

Or will you be using the old one that you bought ten years ago :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

The sainted Archibald Sharp, who wrote what is still our
industry's best engineering work in 1899, discussed this
fully, as the oval trend had come and gone once already.
Which hasn't stopped a continuing pattern, much like
perpetual motion machines.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 17th 20, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

Sheldon Brown liked Biopace and even used it on several of hid fixed gear machines.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/biopace.html

Cheers
Old March 17th 20, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Is this really a "great debate"? Seems like a tiny one to me:

https://sports.yahoo.com/great-chain...114608596.html

But they are a sort of mini- or micro-trend, I guess.

Brand new! For the 8th time or so, that is.

You... you mean... you mean that you aren't going to rush out and buy
a new oval chain ring? Unbelievable!

Or will you be using the old one that you bought ten years ago :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

The sainted Archibald Sharp, who wrote what is still our industry's best
engineering work in 1899, discussed this fully, as the oval trend had
come and gone once already. Which hasn't stopped a continuing pattern,
much like perpetual motion machines.

In a sense, odd-shaped rings have a better argument in their favor than
perpetual motion (which is pure hokum). The forces applied and the
accelerations experienced during pedaling by the human leg and foot are
quite complex. It seems very odd that the best transducer for converting
that to forward motion is a simple round ring.

In developing Biopace, Shimano did serious research measuring and
analyzing those input variables. Their shape was far less a whim than a
simple ellipse. But that doesn't mean a simple ellipse is obviously no
improvement on a simple circle; and it doesn't mean that Biopace has
significant benefit.

But as John says, studies on this are all over the map. My guess is that
humans are so endlessly adaptable, we can easily deal with whatever
minor disadvantages occur. It seems related to the fact that power
output is barely affected by cadence over a fairly wide range.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 17th 20, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

+1
See also USOC data that crank length, even unmatched LH/RH
arms, for commonly available lengths, had no effect on power
output. In theory maybe but as you note humans adapt.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ongoing debate Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_] UK 11 August 16th 10 02:53 PM
To revive an old debate Bill C Racing 11 July 4th 06 03:51 AM
Chainring grinding service (creation of chainring guards for cyclocross and single speed use) RobCam Techniques 13 August 10th 05 04:05 AM
Is the drug debate as boring as the helmet debate? Kurgan Gringioni Racing 9 February 11th 05 04:08 PM
The first presidential debate... BB Mountain Biking 8 October 2nd 04 01:07 PM