Road Discs

Old September 29th 17, 08:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Cordy

Default Road Discs

Il 27/09/2017 23:00, ha scritto:
Thanks Cordy. That is pretty much my idea as well. On heavy bikes
where you might have to stop suddenly - Full Suspension MTB's or in
your case a Touring bike fully loaded - I can see them but I would
still be concerned about pad wear.

I know it's an issue on MTBs. Not on my travl bike, in my experience.
The pads last much more than V-brake shoes on my friend's bike.
The point I was trying to point out was different. With disks braking
action is more easy, in terms of force and modulation.
Old September 29th 17, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

jbeattie wrote:
:On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 3:20:56 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
: On 9/25/2017 3:00 PM, jbeattie wrote:
: On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 1:48:21 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
: On 9/25/2017 2:23 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
: On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 11:52:16 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
: On 9/25/2017 9:59 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
: On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 9:50:28 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
:
: Uh, Tom, Super Record DP are 149 grams, the rear single
: pivot caliper is 123 grams.
:
: So, important to those cyclists who get outraged when the barista gives them
: four quarters change instead of a dollar bill?
:
:
: Aside from your opinion about which criteria other people
: should find significant to their own riding, bike
: manufacturers are relentless in demanding lighter weight
: component sets from parts makers every season. There's more
: than just caprice and vanity here.
:
: I won't accuse the manufacturers of caprice and vanity. They're making
: business decisions, both in how they choose to advertise and how they
: choose to meet market demands - including those generated by their advertising.
:
: But I will question the judgment of a customer who thinks 25 grams or so will
: improve his riding experience in any significant way.
:
: Not that I'm cynical or anything but a guy can only read so
: many "carves through a turn like [latest trendy idiom]"
: reviews.
:
: We're left with the only quantifiable aspects of a new bike
: purchase (real or 'enhanced truth'): weight and price.
:
: Although, there are a lot of differences between bikes these days -- and particularly between rigid and suspended frames e.g. Domane and Roubaix. People are willing to accept the weight and aerodynamic penalty with discs, apparently on the belief that ordinary rim brakes are inadequate or because they want to use CF wheels. Who knows. We are in a real gizmo era, kind of like the late '70s and early '80s when we bought brakes that truly did not work. http://tinyurl.com/y79s3z4a But they were cool. We were much cooler back then, even if we couldn't stop
:
: In the past two weeks I've seen one bicycle with a front drum brake, and
: two with rod brakes. The front drum brake bicycle was one of the Chinese
: bike share bicycles and it was in my office at City Hall, locked. The
: hub is a drum brake/dynamo combination.
:
: Too bad I donated my old U brake mountain bike.

:I see legions of drum brake bikes. https://www.biketownpdx.com/how-it-works/meet-the-bike I'm getting one for fast group rides! Nothing like a peppy shaft drive, metal basket and a drum brake.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/craign...h/11279879153/

He did not get DFL.

--
sig 123
Old October 1st 17, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/30/2017 2:17 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 9:43:35 AM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:

My old MTB is my commute bike, shared paths bit of gravel in places tarmac
etc! Pads last thousands of miles literally years, the New MTB at best a
few months! Worse a few red rides, they are toast.

That's true -- particularly with the resin organic pads. You get less stops -- but they're really GOOD stops.

So before any long ride, be sure you've loaded your bike bag with spares.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 1st 17, 07:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

My old MTB is my commute bike, shared paths bit of gravel in places
tarmac
etc! Pads last thousands of miles literally years, the New MTB at best a
few months! Worse a few red rides, they are toast.

That's true -- particularly with the resin organic pads. You get less
stops -- but they're really GOOD stops.

So before any long ride, be sure you've loaded your bike bag with spares.

Nah, just fit different pads. But if you did want to take spares, they
are very thin and light, so no inconvenience.

--
JS

Discs on the road. The Insider has his say Simon Mason UK 0 January 10th 12 04:46 PM
Road bike with discs and fender mounts? Gooserider General 7 February 2nd 07 11:54 PM
discs vs V brakes ODB Australia 31 October 23rd 06 08:37 AM
Discs shrieking. why? Ben Mountain Biking 6 November 30th 04 11:01 PM
new to discs - squeeky when wet ! Steve Walton UK 6 November 21st 04 01:46 PM