Legal pedals ready for autumn.

Old May 4th 09, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Legal pedals ready for autumn.

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zreflect.htm

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/
Old May 4th 09, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Simon Mason wrote:
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zreflect.htm

Hmmmm you also have to include the

"b) manufacturers name or trademark"

and

"both markings shall be visible from the outside when the reflective
device is fitted correctly to the cycle"

Now as I can't see how the markings can be visible from "outside" I
would suggest that ALL bikes are actually illegal!
Old May 4th 09, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marz

On May 4, 9:52*am, "Simon Mason" wrote:
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zreflect.htm

--
Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Really, can't say I've bothered with reflectors on pedals for years.
The 4 leds (2 on the bike, 2 on me) seemed to work just fine. Plus
there's not a lot of room to stick any on spds...

http://www.cambriabike.com/Images/pr...m970_pedal.jpg
Old May 4th 09, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
david lloyd

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zreflect.htm

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

A bit useless glued to the front of the pedal, don't you think?

Old May 5th 09, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Anderson

On Mon, 4 May 2009, Simon Mason wrote:

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zreflect.htm

What's the pedal made of, and what glue did you use?

And don't you need reflectors on the front and back of the pedal?

tom

--
And dear lord, its like peaches in a lacy napkin. -- James Dearden
Old May 5th 09, 07:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
chris French

In message , Simon
Mason writes
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zreflect.htm

But what does the BS say about pedal reflectors? just because it retains
the BS marking, doesn't mean it remains BS compliant. I'd have thought
it would say something about minimum reflector area for one thing
--
Chris French

Old May 5th 09, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin Nelson

chris French wrote:
In message , Simon
Mason writes
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zreflect.htm

But what does the BS say about pedal reflectors? just because it
retains the BS marking, doesn't mean it remains BS compliant. I'd
have thought it would say something about minimum reflector area for
one thing

These might be worth a try
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPD-PEDAL-BIKE...QQcmdZViewItem

--
Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... But the wind is mostly in your face
Old May 5th 09, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Tue, 5 May 2009 00:37:58 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Mon, 4 May 2009, Simon Mason wrote:

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zreflect.htm

What's the pedal made of, and what glue did you use?

And don't you need reflectors on the front and back of the pedal?

tom

I think he just did it to prove that Chapman is a ****wit.

He has succeeded.

--

"Primary position" the middle of a traffic lane. To take the "primary position" : to ride a bike in the middle of the lane in order to obstruct other road vehicles from overtaking.

A term invented by and used by psycholists and not recognised in the Highway Code.

Highway Code Rule 168 : "Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass."

Old May 5th 09, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Tue, 5 May 2009 07:15:56 +0100, chris French
wrote:

In message , Simon
Mason writes
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zreflect.htm

But what does the BS say about pedal reflectors? just because it retains
the BS marking, doesn't mean it remains BS compliant. I'd have thought
it would say something about minimum reflector area for one thing

Don't be so silly.

Guy Chapman has lots of friends in the CTC. If they have told him
that he can cut a reflector up and as long as the kitemark is visible
then it still complies to the standard.

"Where a part fitted to a vehicle is required by these Regulations to
be marked with a British Standard mark, the requirements shall not be
regarded as met unless, in addition to being marked as required, the
part complied with the relevant British Standard at the time when the
part was first fitted to the vehicle."

It looks like Mason should have concentrated on cartography rather
than taking Chapman's word for it and destroying perfectly good
reflectors.

Old May 5th 09, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TerryJ

Simon Mason wrote:
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zreflect.htm

I tried various ways of sticking /clipping/tying reflectors on . None
lasted more than 5 days before it fell off, usually in traffic. You can
buy ones that clip on one side of a double spd pedal: no better.

I also think that once tampered with it is not bs any more.

My current favourite is to wrap some scotch reflective tape round the
cranks if it will stay there, or wear ankle bands.

TerryJ

autumn in oz the land surfer Unicycling 0 April 23rd 07 12:25 PM
RR: Autumn Assortment 100 Tim Hall UK 7 September 27th 06 04:38 PM
Coker Ready, Custom Ready? Axe Unicycling 15 March 4th 06 11:39 PM
The sound of autumn Tom Keats General 0 November 12th 04 04:19 AM
Autumn Claire Petersky General 28 September 29th 04 06:29 PM