I want an ugly helmet ..

Old May 11th 09, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DennisTheBald

Default I want an ugly helmet ..

On May 10, 9:40*am, "Janet O'Leary"
wrote:
Was just reading a posting from someone who could not get the
helmet to fit right. * Some posted that helmets offer no protection,
etc.. ok.. that's fine.. where one if you want, that works for me..

I kinda like wearing a helmet. *It is like a hat to me.

But:: *I want an ugly helmet .. really ugly.

I looked at the Nashbar site, the Performance site.. and the helmets
are sleek, multi colored .. they look like a NASCAR roof top.

I'd like to find a helmet that does the protection thing [ if that works ]
and is U G LY .. A gross ugly helmet. * No fancy color. * No
sleek go fast fin look... just a big ugly helmet ..

I want a helmet that is so ugly people will walk up and say
"Dude, that helmet is ugly" ..

Where do I find one of these?

walmart, duh
Old May 11th 09, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On May 11, 1:48*pm, DennisTheBald wrote:
On May 10, 9:40*am, "Janet O'Leary"
wrote:

Was just reading a posting from someone who could not get the
helmet to fit right. * Some posted that helmets offer no protection,
etc.. ok.. that's fine.. where one if you want, that works for me..

I kinda like wearing a helmet. *It is like a hat to me.

But:: *I want an ugly helmet .. really ugly.

I looked at the Nashbar site, the Performance site.. and the helmets
are sleek, multi colored .. they look like a NASCAR roof top.

I'd like to find a helmet that does the protection thing [ if that works ]
and is U G LY .. A gross ugly helmet. * No fancy color. * No
sleek go fast fin look... just a big ugly helmet ..

I want a helmet that is so ugly people will walk up and say
"Dude, that helmet is ugly" ..

Where do I find one of these?

walmart, duh- Hide quoted text -

what about those nigerian helmets that were in the news not so long
ago ?
Old May 11th 09, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
It's Chris

Staying on topic to offer a suggestion to the original poster's
question, the Bell Metro is pretty non-stylish. But you say you've
checked out the Nashbar Cat. so you may have discarded this choice
already

IMO, most of the new helmets are ugly not because I have anything
against helmets, but because they have so many holes and so little helet
they look no better than the leather "hairnets" of days-gone-by.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

Old May 11th 09, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom_Sherman

John Kane wrote:
On May 11, 11:21 am, SMS wrote:
Tom_Sherman wrote:
BTW, all the experts agree that helmets do provide protection in a
head impact crash. The debate is over how likely such a crash is to
occur.
Oh crap, here we go again.

Oh please, even the most outspoken non-helmet users don't dispute that
helmets reduce injuries and fatalities in head-impact crashes. They just
don't think that such crashes are common enough to warrant the "you must
always wear a helmet or you'll die an instant horrible death" hysteria,
which most of us here probably agree with.

I see you have read none of the reseach.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

The dead horse is complaining.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old May 12th 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Tom_Sherman wrote:

The dead horse is complaining.

Nah, the horse never died. The few people that still disparage helmets
with the "foam hat" schtick, have clearly never read any of the studies.
They want to justify their own behavior, but clearly the incidence of
head-impact crashes is so low that there is nothing to really justify.
We all engage in risky behavior at times, because the level or risk is
acceptable.

A study released on Saturday May 9th, 2009, while acknowledging the fact
that a mandatory helmet law would result in fewer head injuries, with
commensurate financial and health gains, argues that such a law would
result in lower levels of cycling and would have a negative effect on
overall health, actually causing a net increase in health care costs due
to increased obesity and the related health problems caused by obesity
and a more sedentary life style. The estimates of the annual increase in
costs were US $4.8 billion, the Netherlands $1.9b, and the UK $0.4bn.

However, as with most such claims, it uses wildly high projections of
the number of cyclists that would stop cycling rather than wear a helmet
(most serious cyclists already wear helmets, and few of those that don't
would give it up were helmets to be made mandatory; they would either
wear a helmet or ignore the law). It also, according to child injury
prevention experts, vastly overstates the cardiovascular benefits of
casual cycling by the people most likely to stop cycling rather than don
a helmet because most of those people don't ride long enough or hard
enough to gain much benefit. It also assumes that the few people that
would both give up cycling and that are presently cycling at a level
where there are health benefits, would not replace cycling with another
aerobic activity.

The study also makes the classic error in cause and effect when it cites
statistics from Australia, which purport to show a 33-46% drop in
cycling following the introduction of a mandatory helmet law in
Victoria. That statistic has taken on a life of its own, but it resulted
from a highly unscientific street-corner count of cyclists which was
done far too soon after the law was put into place, and it did not take
into account any of the other factors which affect cycling levels.

Despite the obvious flaws in the study, the author of the study reaches
what most of us would consider a logical conclusion: "People should be
able to choose, given the circumstances they cycle under. "I go to
Holland and places like that, and I don't wear a helmet," he says. "I
used to live in London, and I wore a helmet all the time."
Old May 12th 09, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

SMS wrote:

A study released on Saturday May 9th, 2009,

Sorry, my mistake, the study was released on March 25, 2009. There was
an article about it published on May 9th 2009.

The study is at
"http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/Delivery.cfm/SSRN_ID1368064_code619154.pdf?abstractid=1368064&m irid=2"

There are several glaring errors in that study, most notably the delta m
he uses, and the assumption that all lost cycling is replaced with car
transportation.

The other thing he made up was the "bicycling beta" coefficient which
attempts to balance the increased number of head injuries and their
associated costs, with a predicted decrease in overall health due to
those individuals that are presently cycling at a level that provides
health benefits and that will both give up cycling and not replace it
with another aerobic activity rather than wear a helmet.

It's "studies" like this that cause local, state, and federal
governments to enact helmet laws!
Old May 12th 09, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Doc O'Leary[_9_]

In article ,
"Janet O'Leary" wrote:

I want a helmet that is so ugly people will walk up and say
"Dude, that helmet is ugly" ..

Why limit yourself to one ugly helmet when you can buy a number of
helmet covers and tailor your ugly with a moment's notice?

--
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, ono.com,
and probably your server, too.
Old May 12th 09, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On May 12, 11:04*am, Doc O'Leary
wrote:
In article ,
*"Janet O'Leary" wrote:

I want a helmet that is so ugly people will walk up and say
"Dude, that helmet is ugly" ..

Why limit yourself to one ugly helmet when you can buy a number of
helmet covers and tailor your ugly with a moment's notice?

I believe Chalo would call those "helmet panties."

Old May 12th 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Marz

On May 10, 9:40*am, "Janet O'Leary"
wrote:
Was just reading a posting from someone who could not get the
helmet to fit right. * Some posted that helmets offer no protection,
etc.. ok.. that's fine.. where one if you want, that works for me..

I kinda like wearing a helmet. *It is like a hat to me.

But:: *I want an ugly helmet .. really ugly.

I looked at the Nashbar site, the Performance site.. and the helmets
are sleek, multi colored .. they look like a NASCAR roof top.

I'd like to find a helmet that does the protection thing [ if that works ]
and is U G LY .. A gross ugly helmet. * No fancy color. * No
sleek go fast fin look... just a big ugly helmet ..

I want a helmet that is so ugly people will walk up and say
"Dude, that helmet is ugly" ..

Where do I find one of these?

I don't know about really ugly, but wearing a Met Parachute Helmet
will always get you a double take...

http://www.accecycles.com/im/casque%...ute%20noir.jpg

Old May 12th 09, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul O

Janet O'Leary wrote, On 5/10/2009 10:40 AM:
Was just reading a posting from someone who could not get the
helmet to fit right. Some posted that helmets offer no protection,
etc.. ok.. that's fine.. where one if you want, that works for me..

I kinda like wearing a helmet. It is like a hat to me.

But:: I want an ugly helmet .. really ugly.

I looked at the Nashbar site, the Performance site.. and the helmets
are sleek, multi colored .. they look like a NASCAR roof top.

I'd like to find a helmet that does the protection thing [ if that works ]
and is U G LY .. A gross ugly helmet. No fancy color. No
sleek go fast fin look... just a big ugly helmet ..

I want a helmet that is so ugly people will walk up and say
"Dude, that helmet is ugly" ..

Where do I find one of these?

All I want is an ugly helmet and a star to steer by...

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)