Unfair traffic lights.

Old May 14th 09, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marz

Default Unfair traffic lights.

On May 14, 5:08*am, Mike wrote:

Get yourself a proper bike made of steel

A proper bike! Did someone just wake granddad?
Old May 14th 09, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Kane

On May 14, 6:08*am, Mike wrote:
On Mon, 11 May 2009 11:07:38 +0100, "Simon Mason"

wrote:
On my commute, I encounter no fewer than 27 sets of traffic lights, the vast
majority of which do not sense my bike, probably as it is nearly all carbon.
Because of this, I find myself waiting at many sets of lights as they show
red, whereas if I was in a car, there would be enough metal to trip the
lights.

Get yourself a proper bike made of steel - or fit a really strong f*ck
off magnet* or a chunk of aluminium below the bottom bracket.

* something likehttp://www.first4magnets.com/f4999n-n52-magnets----n52-is-the-stronge...

--

And find yourself glued to the nearest passing semi? . And just
think of locking the bike to an iron fence!

More seriously Ottawa Ontario marks the most sensitive area of a
sensing loop with the intention that a cyclist who places his bike in
that area should trigger the light. IME it usually works

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

John Kane kin
Old May 14th 09, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Thorpe[_6_]

wrote:
On my commute, I encounter no fewer than 27 sets of traffic lights, the vast
majority of which do not sense my bike, probably as it is nearly all carbon.
Because of this, I find myself waiting at many sets of lights as they show
red, whereas if I was in a car, there would be enough metal to trip the
lights.

Get yourself a proper bike made of steel - or fit a really strong f*ck
off magnet* or a chunk of aluminium below the bottom bracket.

* something likehttp://www.first4magnets.com/f4999n-n52-magnets----n52-is-the-stronge...

--

And find yourself glued to the nearest passing semi?

Had to read that twice! a "semi" in the UK is type of house, but IKWYM
Old May 14th 09, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting Simon Mason :
On my commute, I encounter no fewer than 27 sets of traffic lights, the vast
majority of which do not sense my bike, probably as it is nearly all carbon.

Instructables suggests you can fix a rare-earth magnet to the BB to
improve matters. No idea if it works.

Besides the non-detection problem, of course, a lot of traffic lights are
coordinated for cage speeds.
--
David Damerell Oil is for sissies
Today is Second Saturday, May - a weekend.
Old May 14th 09, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keith T

Nah, must be a shareholder of H#lfor@ds or Arrgos

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old May 14th 09, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

On 2009-05-12, JNugent wrote:

Dave Larrington wrote:
If a sensor-controlled light fails to pick up the presence of a vehicle it
is not working.
Only if it is *meant* to pick up the presence of a bike (especially one with
as little magnetic material as the one described).

There isn't really a problem in any event. The cyclist can dismount and
become a pedestrian without breaking the law.
Are you aware of any junctions where motorists are expected to get out
and push their cars through?

Is there a point to that question?

You're suggesting that having the the cyclist dismount and push is the
solution to this traffic problem. Would you consider that an
acceptable solution for motorists too?

Is there a point to that question?

Old May 14th 09, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Funk[_3_]

On 2009-05-14, Mike wrote:

Get yourself a proper bike made of steel - or fit a really strong f*ck
off magnet* or a chunk of aluminium below the bottom bracket.

* something like
http://www.first4magnets.com/f4999n-...rbore-71-p.asp

Couldn't one of those magnets be a bit of a problem if you have some
kinds of electronic equipment in your pannier?
Old May 14th 09, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike

On Thu, 14 May 2009 07:28:58 -0700 (PDT), Marz
wrote:

On May 14, 5:08*am, Mike wrote:

Get yourself a proper bike made of steel

A proper bike! Did someone just wake granddad?

Oy! shut it! Bloody lippy kids.

Traffic lights Tom Crispin UK 48 July 24th 07 04:34 PM
Traffic lights TimC Australia 5 February 6th 06 11:57 AM
Best position at traffic lights? Peewiglet UK 34 July 15th 05 03:40 PM
Stuck On Red (Traffic Lights) Chuck Recumbent Biking 8 July 6th 04 01:22 AM
How many cars run traffic lights? Robert Dole General 66 December 12th 03 11:15 PM