FAO Simon Mason

Old May 17th 09, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

Default FAO Simon Mason

Simon Mason wrote:
"Brimstone" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:
"Brimstone" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:

Wrong, the danger is people stepping into the road in front of an
oncoming vehicle without giving the vehicle time to stop.

It doesn't matter. People will make mistakes and walk into the road
all the time. Look at that girl who was killed by a cop doing nearly
100 mph with no blues and twos. She rightly assumed that the car
would be travelling at a reasonable speed and thus she could cross
the road in time. Why would she not believe this?

Because it got her killed. There is no substitute for observation and
assessment of the actual situation.

Exactly! A police car is approaching me with no warning lights or
sirens. Is he doing 30 mph as the law demands and he is a law
enforcement officer? Or is he doing 100 mph?

Hence one should make an assessment rather than an assumption.

Still, he is in jail for death by dangerous driving.

Indeed. There was cupability on both sides but we don't prosecute the dead.

(Awaits cries of "blaming the victim from certain quarters".)

Old May 17th 09, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Brimstone" wrote in message

No, but without them it would be a free for all and anarchy. That is
why every country in the world has them and enforces them, many are
more draconian and sneaky than our safety camera system.

Indeed, but as has been accepted someone driving within the limit can
cause a collision. Whilst people are concentrating on limits they not
dealing with the root cause.

Why do people persist with the argument that you are constantly staring at a
speedometer instead of looking at the road as an excuse? I never do this; a
simple
glance once and again is enough. The position of my foot and engine noise
tells me I an maintaining a constant speed within the limits.

Anyone who can't do this and is incapable of controlling a vehicle's speed
without staring at a speedo is not skilled enough to be on the road.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old May 17th 09, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Brimstone" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:

The myth is that children played in the street in all areas. The only
areas where children would have played in the street would have been in
poorer areas where there were no cars, no public parks or playgrounds and
no "waste" ground.

Such areas don't exist now.

Apart from places like this.

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/webimages...ourhoods-2.jpg

http://www.camcycle.org.uk/cycling20...s/homezone.jpg

http://www.oldhamrochdalehmr.co.uk/devon2.jpg

Old May 17th 09, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

Simon Mason wrote:
"Brimstone" wrote in message

No, but without them it would be a free for all and anarchy. That is
why every country in the world has them and enforces them, many are
more draconian and sneaky than our safety camera system.

Indeed, but as has been accepted someone driving within the limit can
cause a collision. Whilst people are concentrating on limits they not
dealing with the root cause.

Why do people persist with the argument that you are constantly
staring at a speedometer instead of looking at the road as an excuse?

You have misunderstood and perhaps I haven't phrased it as clearly as I
might have. In saying that, "Whilst people are concentrating on limits they
not dealing with the root cause" I was referring to those government and
other officials responsible for improving road safety, not individual
drivers.

I never do this; a simple
glance once and again is enough. The position of my foot and engine
noise tells me I an maintaining a constant speed within the limits.

Anyone who can't do this and is incapable of controlling a vehicle's
speed without staring at a speedo is not skilled enough to be on the
road.

I quite agree.

Old May 17th 09, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

Simon Mason wrote:
"Brimstone" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:

The myth is that children played in the street in all areas. The only
areas where children would have played in the street would have been
in poorer areas where there were no cars, no public parks or
playgrounds and no "waste" ground.

Such areas don't exist now.

Apart from places like this.

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/webimages...ourhoods-2.jpg

http://www.camcycle.org.uk/cycling20...s/homezone.jpg

http://www.oldhamrochdalehmr.co.uk/devon2.jpg

None of which are in any way similar to those I described.

Old May 17th 09, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Sun, 17 May 2009 13:00:39 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On Sun, 17 May 2009 12:41:22 +0100, "Brimstone"
wrote:

I have failed more than one test for failing to make progress.

I passed first time. Perhaps there is a message in there somewhere.

Guy

Good old Chapman - can't resist an opportunity to tell us how great he
is.

Done any name shifting today?
--
I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy Chapman)
I have never said that I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy
Old May 17th 09, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marz

On May 16, 9:11*pm, Nuxx Bar wrote:
On May 17, 2:40*am, Marz wrote:

On May 16, 10:06*am, Nuxx Bar wrote:

You have previously said that you believe that speeding is equivalent
to shoplifting. *You have also said that your wife was caught
speeding.

So are you saying that you wouldn't have reacted any differently if
she'd been caught shoplifting instead? *Be honest now.

Speeding isn't *really* the same as shoplifting, is it? *One is a
normal behaviour, which is safe in itself and practised daily and
broadly accepted by decent, educated people; the other is not.
Everyone instinctively knows that they're different, and that's
because they are. *People should trust such instincts instead of
attempting to override them with false logic.

Hang, let me go google how many people have been killed by a shop
lifter. Twit.

Ladies and gentleman, the simple-mindedness of the average camera
supporter.

So a quick google of 'uk death by speeding driver' gets this...

1. WalesOnline - News - Wales News - Speeding driver jailed for
road ...
2. Police driver convicted over high-speed crash death | UK news ...
3. Speeding drivers with loophole lawyers to face police challenge ...
4. BBC NEWS | UK | Northern Ireland | Driver speeding after death
crash
5. Death crash driver 'made announcement while speeding on bend ...
6. Texting driver jailed for death crash | Metro.co.uk
7. Girl's death blamed on speeding driver - The National Newspaper
8. Speed Cameras - one million illegal drivers in UK
9. Fatal heartbreak for speeding drivers :: News :: Southend-on-
Sea ...
10. Driver of death coach had record for speeding - Scotsman.com News

And a google of 'uk death by shoplifter' get this...
1. Al Norman: Another Shoplifter Death at Wal-Mart
2. SHOPLIFTING IN BRITAIN
3. Real Radio Yorkshire - 106~108fm :: Terry Loses Shoplifting ...
4. Police say shoplifter tries to shave more than $1000 off a Fla ...
5. Former Cop Sentenced In Alleged Shoplifter's Death - News Story ...
6. BBC NEWS | UK | England | Shoplifter wanted over death
7. Rite Aid Shoplifter's Death Ruled a Homicide | Crime, Law ...
8. Senior police officer killed himself after shoplifting charge ...
9. Shoplifter denies murdering schoolboy - UK, News - The Independent

I'm not going to attempt to extract any more information than the
search results show.
Old May 17th 09, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

Simon Mason wrote:

"Matt B" wrote in message

You said it was actually the traffic calming /not/ the speed limits
when I asked you the direct question before.

Both calming and signs exist. The calming measures physically enforce
what the speed limit signs show.

Do you honestly think that? Do do think that the same calming methods
deliver exactly 50, 40, 30 or 20 mph speeds, dependent on what number
was written inside the speed limit circle?

--
Matt B
Old May 17th 09, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Sun, 17 May 2009 14:29:47 +0100, "Brimstone"
wrote:

If you allow emotion into the discussion then one ends up with short term
superficial knee-jerk solutions. One has to get to the root cause of the
situation in order to arrive at a long-term sustainable solution.

Right. And the root cause is that drivers habitually overestimate
their own skill, refuse to accept the risks they pose to others,
underestimate the extent to which risk applies to them, and are better
protected than those to whom they pose most danger.

This is bolstered by a cottage industry of idiots whose raison d'Ítre
is perpetuating these misconceptions and fostering the myth that
driving too fast is not actually dangerous or antisocial.

The solution would be a concerted effort on the part of Government to
bring home to drivers how dangerous driving is. But that would be a
vote loser in a country where a pedestrian is defined in the tabloid
press as "someone who has found a place to park the car".

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc | http://www.nohelmetlaw.org.uk/

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Newsgroup may contain nuts.
Old May 17th 09, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Matt B" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:

"Matt B" wrote in message

You said it was actually the traffic calming /not/ the speed limits when
I asked you the direct question before.

Both calming and signs exist. The calming measures physically enforce
what the speed limit signs show.

Do you honestly think that? Do do think that the same calming methods
deliver exactly 50, 40, 30 or 20 mph speeds, dependent on what number was
written inside the speed limit circle?

Cameras can enforce speed limits of 30/40/50 but that is impractical
in residential areas, there would be too many. In that case, humps
enforce the 20 mph limits and that is why they are also called
"sleeping policemen". Again, signs can be ignored too easily, even
flashing ones.

PING: Mr Mason wafflycat UK 7 February 28th 08 09:24 AM
PING: Simon Mason wafflycat UK 1 November 18th 05 12:41 PM
Oscar Mason Bob Martin Racing 1 September 1st 05 05:25 AM
it was a pleasue to meet you Mr Mason MSeries UK 2 March 13th 05 10:15 PM
Ping Simon Mason [email protected] UK 0 January 22nd 05 08:57 AM