RAGBRAI 2007

Old July 30th 07, 09:17 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Mike A Schwab

Default RAGBRAI 2007

On Jul 19, 9:14 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
Well, any of you stupid enough to be doing Ragbrai this year? It begins this
Sat. in Rock Rapids, Iowa which is not very far from Worthington, Minnesota
so I guess I will have yet another look at this mad circus. And it is truly
a mad circus unlike any other cross state week long group bike ride.

What I like best about Ragbrai is that there are usually quite a few
recumbent cyclists doing it. But along with these few recumbent cyclists
will be 10,000 other cyclists. It is a ride mainly for the young because you
have to be stupid to do it.

Any other cross state group bike ride is infinitely better than Ragbrai, but
Ragbrai is the oldest and the largest. It is well organized for such a large
ride, but still you will have to stand in line for everything. The best
thing about the ride is that Iowa has thousands of miles of secondary roads
which are ideal for cycling. Not every state can say as much.

The best way to do Ragbrai is to be drunk 100% of the time. That way you
will not notice what a misery it is. But hey, you like Ragbrai, be my guest!
I personally would not be caught dead doing it. Frankly, I am just not dumb
enough for it.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

I rode most of the way sagged 25 miles on 2 days.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-7wr1ag
I sure could have used a local anestetic for the monkey butt from my
Burley Django's hard seat.
But that iced margarita I was given was awfully bitter.

Old July 30th 07, 09:58 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Mailmover

Hew Mike! Do you know if Mr. Armstrong is gonna be there this year?
Tell all BJers that MailMover says hello and happy trails!

Old July 31st 07, 05:33 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

"Mike A Schwab" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Anyone who rides a recumbent bike and does not have the brains to get the
seat TOTALLY comfortable is beyond the pale. The whole and entire purpose of
a recumbent bike is to be comfortable. Christ, either get it right or get
lost.

Old July 31st 07, 05:39 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

"Mailmover" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hew Mike! Do you know if Mr. Armstrong is gonna be there this year?
Tell all BJers that MailMover says hello and happy trails!

I see that Armstrong left Ragbrai before it was over. Does this not tell us
everything we will ever want to know about him?

He is just a racer after all. When he can no longer race, he will be done
with cycling. Screw him and all who think like him.

Old July 31st 07, 06:39 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Mike A Schwab

On Jul 30, 11:33 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Mike A Schwab" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

deleted
I rode most of the way sagged 25 miles on 2 days.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-7wr1ag
I sure could have used a local anestetic for the monkey butt from my
Burley Django's hard seat.
But that iced margarita I was given was awfully bitter.

Anyone who rides a recumbent bike and does not have the brains to get the
seat TOTALLY comfortable is beyond the pale. The whole and entire purpose of
a recumbent bike is to be comfortable. Christ, either get it right or get
lost.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

It has not been too uncomfortable before Ragbrai, but my high mileage
day was only 55 miles, not back to back 80s which was part of the
cause to the second time of sagging in. Just joined
bentridersonline.com and found a gel pad for my hard seat and ordered
it. Should be in next week.

Mailmover: how is it being back in your hometown for 3 month? Sad
about your mother, right after you got back.

Old July 31st 07, 12:51 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling

On Jul 31, 1:30 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

A high quality foam pad will cure almost all recumbent seat woes. The one
other thing to do is to get a lean back to your seat that will get some of
the weight off your rear and put it more on your back.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Í have the seat as vertical as I can. Sometime I hold my head up to
see or to rest the muscles in the front of my neck.

Old August 4th 07, 06:10 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 31, 1:30 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

A high quality foam pad will cure almost all recumbent seat woes. The one
other thing to do is to get a lean back to your seat that will get some of
the weight off your rear and put it more on your back.

Í have the seat as vertical as I can. Sometime I hold my head up to
see or to rest the muscles in the front of my neck.

You mean horizontal? That is way too laid back. You never want to go beyond
about 45 degrees from the horizontal. Otherwise you are going to get lots of
neck pain. Just make sure your crank is slightly below your seat. There is
never any reason to get so laid back as you are.

Old August 6th 07, 04:17 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling

On Aug 4, 12:10 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...
On Jul 31, 1:30 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

A high quality foam pad will cure almost all recumbent seat woes. The one
other thing to do is to get a lean back to your seat that will get some of
the weight off your rear and put it more on your back.

Í have the seat as vertical as I can. Sometime I hold my head up to
see or to rest the muscles in the front of my neck.

You mean horizontal? That is way too laid back. You never want to go beyond
about 45 degrees from the horizontal. Otherwise you are going to get lots of
neck pain. Just make sure your crank is slightly below your seat. There is
never any reason to get so laid back as you are.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Got the seat cushion on, and my videos uploaded
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...346&pr=goog-sl

RAGBRAI 2007 Mike A Schwab General 7 August 6th 07 04:17 AM
RAGBRAI 2007 Mike A Schwab Social Issues 7 August 6th 07 04:17 AM
RAGBRAI 2007 Mike A Schwab Techniques 7 August 6th 07 04:17 AM
RAGBRAI 2007 Mike A Schwab Recumbent Biking 7 August 6th 07 04:17 AM
Ragbrai 2007 onewheeling Unicycling 7 March 26th 07 06:35 PM