Unfair traffic lights.

Old May 11th 09, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Unfair traffic lights.

On my commute, I encounter no fewer than 27 sets of traffic lights, the vast
majority of which do not sense my bike, probably as it is nearly all carbon.
Because of this, I find myself waiting at many sets of lights as they show
red, whereas if I was in a car, there would be enough metal to trip the
lights.

In this case, I have to lay my bike down on the sensors to show enough
chainring metal to the sensors and get them to change.

These lights should be adjusted so that they can sense a bicycle as we are
being unfairly treated by being held up compared to a driver who would not
have to be similarly inconvenienced.

It is possible to set the sensors properly, as in a bus/cycle only lane in
the city centre my bike gets the lights to change in less than a second, but
in the suburbs the lights only cater for car drivers.

Still, the Highway Code states that I can ride through a red light legally
if my bike is not picked up by the sensors, but I am reluctant to be seen as
a red light jumper, even when I am allowed to do so.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old May 11th 09, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...

Still, the Highway Code states that I can ride through a red light legally
if my bike is not picked up by the sensors, but I am reluctant to be seen
as a red light jumper, even when I am allowed to do so.

Which section of the Highway Code is that out of interest? How can you be
certain the sensors haven't detected your cycle?

Old May 11th 09, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Mr Benn" %%%@%.%% wrote in message

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...

Still, the Highway Code states that I can ride through a red light
legally if my bike is not picked up by the sensors, but I am reluctant to
be seen as a red light jumper, even when I am allowed to do so.

Which section of the Highway Code is that out of interest? How can you be
certain the sensors haven't detected your cycle?

If the other lights go through the whole sequence without yours changing
then it can be established that yours are not sensitive enough to detect
bikes hence you are allowed to proceed with care.

Old May 11th 09, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn

"Mr Benn" %%%@%.%% wrote in message

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...

Still, the Highway Code states that I can ride through a red light
legally if my bike is not picked up by the sensors, but I am reluctant
to be seen as a red light jumper, even when I am allowed to do so.

Which section of the Highway Code is that out of interest? How can you
be certain the sensors haven't detected your cycle?

If the other lights go through the whole sequence without yours changing
then it can be established that yours are not sensitive enough to detect
bikes hence you are allowed to proceed with care.

Which section of the Highway Code covers this? I am allowed to ask this
because apparently I am a Safe Speed supporter.

Old May 11th 09, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Mr Benn" %%%@%.%% wrote in message

If the other lights go through the whole sequence without yours changing
then it can be established that yours are not sensitive enough to detect
bikes hence you are allowed to proceed with care.

Which section of the Highway Code covers this? I am allowed to ask this
because apparently I am a Safe Speed supporter.

176
"You MUST NOT move forward over the white line when the red light is
showing. Only go forward when the traffic lights are green if there is room
for you to clear the junction safely or you are taking up a position to turn
right. If the traffic lights are not working, treat the situation as you
would an unmarked junction and proceed with great care."

If the sensor does not detect my vehicle, then they are not working.

Old May 11th 09, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Mon, 11 May 2009 11:07:38 +0100, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

[...]

Yes of course it does.

I assume this is Anchor Lee's advice?

Alternatively you could try and write to the City Council - now that
would be off the wall wouldn't it.

--

"Primary position" the middle of a traffic lane. To take the "primary position" : to ride a bike in the middle of the lane in order to obstruct other road vehicles from overtaking.

A term invented by and used by psycholists and not recognised in the Highway Code.

Highway Code Rule 168 : "Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass."

Old May 11th 09, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Judith Smith" wrote in message

Still, the Highway Code states that I can ride through a red light legally
if my bike is not picked up by the sensors, but I am reluctant to be seen
as
a red light jumper, even when I am allowed to do so.

Yes of course it does.

See Highway Code rule 176.

Alternatively you could try and write to the City Council - now that
would be off the wall wouldn't it.

Done that 3 times. It made no difference.

Old May 11th 09, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bod43

On 11 May, 11:55, "Simon Mason" wrote:
"Mr Benn" %%%@%.%% wrote in message

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
.uk...

Still, the Highway Code states that I can ride through a red light
legally if my bike is not picked up by the sensors, but I am reluctant to
be seen as a red light jumper, even when I am allowed to do so.

Which section of the Highway Code is that out of interest? *How can you be
certain the sensors haven't detected your cycle?

If the other lights go through the whole sequence without yours changing
then it can be established that yours are not sensitive enough to detect
bikes hence you are allowed to proceed with care.

I don't know exactly how the sensors work but it might
be possible to have a light-in-weight 'antenna' fitted to
the bike which the lights might 'see'.

Maybe like this

http://www.historyofwar.org/Pictures...ngton_DWI.html

http://bicycleuniverse.info/transpo/...g-signals.html
"...I am a designer of these units..."
"If you want to trigger the traffic lights with 100%
certainty, simply get off the bike and lay the front
wheel of the cycle flat over the loop towards one
corner for a second or two." Also suggests that
if you have plastic wheels a wire could be wrapped
round the rim under the tyre. See articles for details of
wire requirements.

Perhaps the trigger in Simon's case is actually the wheel?

Retirement plan # 4327.
Sell magnets for this purpose. They don't work but
that does not seem to prevent certain other magnet sales
and the mystery may even encourage such sales. :-)))
Wonder if there is time to hit the christmas market?

Retirement plan # 4328.
Do an even "better" and more expensive 'lectronic
one. Contains battery, flashing LED.

Retirement plan # 4329.
Do a superior and yet more expensive delux 'lectronic
one. Contains battery, and two different coloured
flashing LEDs.
Old May 11th 09, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"bod43" wrote in message news:d2c28170-9f4d-4b97-b6b0-
"If you want to trigger the traffic lights with 100%
certainty, simply get off the bike and lay the front
wheel of the cycle flat over the loop towards one
corner for a second or two." Also suggests that
if you have plastic wheels a wire could be wrapped
round the rim under the tyre. See articles for details of
wire requirements.

They *can* be set to detect carbon bikes with small bits of metal such as
bottom brackets as we have a 3 sets in the city centre bus lane which pick
up any bike I ride on, but they are the exception.

Old May 11th 09, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 11 May, 11:07, "Simon Mason" wrote:
On my commute, I encounter no fewer than 27 sets of traffic lights, the vast
majority of which do not sense my bike

Round my way they're experimenting with scrapping a whole load of
lights altogether. Sadly none are from the 60 or so I have each way
on my commute.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6207518.ece

It'll be interesting to see the results of the experiment anyway

Traffic lights Tom Crispin UK 48 July 24th 07 04:34 PM
Traffic lights TimC Australia 5 February 6th 06 10:57 AM
Best position at traffic lights? Peewiglet UK 34 July 15th 05 03:40 PM
Stuck On Red (Traffic Lights) Chuck Recumbent Biking 8 July 6th 04 01:22 AM
How many cars run traffic lights? Robert Dole General 66 December 12th 03 10:15 PM