A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Racing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

OT but great



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 1st 09, 12:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,628
Default OT but great

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009...ange_kids.html
Ads
  #2  
Old July 1st 09, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,381
Default OT but great



It's a tragedy that idiots have an audience. Ebert writes:

So much is simply chance. You can't plan for bad luck. You can't pass
laws against it. You can't be innoculated for it. You can't wear
protective clothing. Forrest Gump inspired the bumper sticker, ****
happens.



So much is simply chance. (true but people change risk profiles by
adaptating protective measures - helmets, safety belts, etc)

You can't plan for bad luck. (luck favors the prepared, falling off a
clifff = bad luck. falling off a cliff with a parchute = adrenaline
high)

You can't pass laws against it. (speeding, drinking, seat belt laws,
etc prevent bad luck)

You can't be innoculated for it. (vaccines prevent a host of 'good
old days' childhoo diseases and they prevent elves gnomes and fairies
etc from inhabitting the unknown innards and possesing our souls)

You can't wear protective clothing. ( oh really talk to a
dermatologist, skateboarder, or anyway that raced in the KC cyclocross
nationals a few years ago. )

Forrest Gump inspired the bumper sticker, **** happens (dumbass, the
sticker was out 6-8 years before the movie)

Ebert is a ****ing moron.
  #3  
Old July 1st 09, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Susan Walker
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,018
Default OT but great

Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT wrote:
http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009...ange_kids.html


http://www.atom.com/funny_videos/cowboy_modine/
  #4  
Old July 1st 09, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
rruff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 85
Default OT but great

Great article. I grew up near a small town in downstate IL myself.
Instead of kids running around on their bikes, we now have parents
shuttling them around to supervised activities in 6000 lb SUVs. I know
parents who put over 20k miles per year on their cars just doing
this.

I guess we could say that the effort to create a society of paranoid
consuming zombies has been a great success...

  #5  
Old July 1st 09, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Henry[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 410
Default OT but great

On Jul 2, 3:42 am, Susan Walker wrote:
Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT wrote:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009...ange_kids.html


http://www.atom.com/funny_videos/cowboy_modine/


I can't think of anyone who I can send that link to
  #6  
Old July 2nd 09, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,179
Default OT but great

On Jul 1, 11:28*am, rruff wrote:
Great article. I grew up near a small town in downstate IL myself.
Instead of kids running around on their bikes, we now have parents
shuttling them around to supervised activities in 6000 lb SUVs. I know
parents who put over 20k miles per year on their cars just doing
this.

I guess we could say that the effort to create a society of paranoid
consuming zombies has been a great success...


Or we could say that instead of hush-hushing the reality of life ("the
monsters among us"), that contemporary parents are more aware than
those in earlier years, and are protecting their children. Count me in
that number. "Paranoid" is an insult and in retort, you can do as you
want with yours (if you have any of course).

Lexus 470, approx 5400lb

Sequoia, 5100 lb

Yukon Denali (now we're getting somewhere) 5800lb

Odyssey (what I drive), 4500lb

It's safer in traffic than a ****box econocar (aside from the 5-Star
crash rating) because it is large and accelerates reasonably quickly.
Far fewer idiots swooping and dodging, cutting me off than in the
Camry, which is a fairly large ****box, actually.

Don't like it? Well, talk to the idiots.
--D-y


  #7  
Old July 2nd 09, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,048
Default OT but great

--D-y wrote:
On Jul 1, 11:28 am, rruff wrote:
Great article. I grew up near a small town in downstate IL myself.
Instead of kids running around on their bikes, we now have parents
shuttling them around to supervised activities in 6000 lb SUVs. I know
parents who put over 20k miles per year on their cars just doing
this.

I guess we could say that the effort to create a society of paranoid
consuming zombies has been a great success...


Or we could say that instead of hush-hushing the reality of life ("the
monsters among us"), that contemporary parents are more aware than
those in earlier years, and are protecting their children. Count me in
that number. "Paranoid" is an insult and in retort, you can do as you
want with yours (if you have any of course).

Lexus 470, approx 5400lb

Sequoia, 5100 lb

Yukon Denali (now we're getting somewhere) 5800lb

Odyssey (what I drive), 4500lb

It's safer in traffic than a ****box econocar (aside from the 5-Star
crash rating) because it is large and accelerates reasonably quickly.
Far fewer idiots swooping and dodging, cutting me off than in the
Camry, which is a fairly large ****box, actually.

Don't like it? Well, talk to the idiots.
--D-y



Hummer H2, 6614 lb
  #8  
Old July 2nd 09, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,569
Default OT but great

D-y wrote:
Lexus 470, approx 5400lb
Sequoia, 5100 lb
Yukon Denali (now we're getting somewhere) 5800lb
Odyssey (what I drive), 4500lb
It's safer in traffic than a ****box econocar (aside from the 5-Star
crash rating) because it is large and accelerates reasonably quickly.
Far fewer idiots swooping and dodging, cutting me off than in the Camry,
which is a fairly large ****box, actually.

Don't like it? Well, talk to the idiots. --D-y


Fred Fredburger wrote:
Hummer H2, 6614 lb


M1 Abrams with depleted uranium armor, 65 tons.

  #9  
Old July 2nd 09, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,179
Default OT but great

On Jul 2, 2:46*pm, Donald Munro wrote:
D-y wrote:
Lexus 470, approx 5400lb
Sequoia, 5100 lb
Yukon Denali (now we're getting somewhere) 5800lb
Odyssey (what I drive), 4500lb
It's safer in traffic than a ****box econocar (aside from the 5-Star
crash rating) *because it is large and accelerates reasonably quickly.
Far fewer idiots swooping and dodging, cutting me off than in the Camry,
which is a fairly large ****box, actually.


Don't like it? Well, talk to the idiots. --D-y

Fred Fredburger wrote:
Hummer H2, 6614 lb


M1 Abrams with depleted uranium armor, 65 tons.


Rubber treads available for highway use.
That main gun could come in mighty handy occasionally, but probably
not enough to justify the gas mileage (est. 3gal/mile).

And now, something a little more practical:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56gL9MpyUDQ

--D-y
  #10  
Old July 2nd 09, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
rruff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 85
Default OT but great

On Jul 1, 5:36*pm, --D-y wrote:
Or we could say that instead of hush-hushing the reality of life ("the
monsters among us"), that contemporary parents are more aware than
those in earlier years, and are protecting their children. Count me in
that number. "Paranoid" is an insult and in retort, you can do as you
want with yours (if you have any of course).


Of course all the paranoid consider themselves merely "aware". How
safe would you like them to be, and how much of your children's living
are you willing to sacrifice to obtain this safety? Life is
dangerous... in fact, everyone dies from it.

It's safer in traffic than a ****box econocar (aside from the 5-Star
crash rating) *because it is large and accelerates reasonably quickly.


It is safer only when slamming into the "****box econocar"... not when
hitting a vehicle of similar size. We could all be driving Abrams and
getting 3 gal/mi and we still wouldn't be safe.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great cycling jerseys some under $32. great Christmas [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 12th 07 07:40 PM
It's a great day! paul_g Unicycling 5 September 16th 05 04:49 PM
Great stuff looking for a great home... Jessica Cann Marketplace 0 March 11th 04 08:46 PM
Chilly Hilly - Great ride and great weather cheg General 5 March 1st 04 08:02 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.