Gear you can't give up?

Old July 1st 04, 02:03 AM
Gooserider

Default Gear you can't give up?

I have a pair of Look MTB pedals I've used for 10 or more years, and have
used with four bikes. They're old, scratched and beaten to hell, but I love
them and I'll use them forever. They don't match my new bike at all, but
they're my favorites. I have 6 pair of cleats, since the pedal is
discontinued, so I should be set until I die. :-) Anybody else have anything
to which they've become so attached?

Mike

Old July 1st 04, 03:16 AM
The Queen of Cans and Jars

Gooserider wrote:

I have a pair of Look MTB pedals I've used for 10 or more years, and have
used with four bikes. They're old, scratched and beaten to hell, but I love
them and I'll use them forever. They don't match my new bike at all, but
they're my favorites. I have 6 pair of cleats, since the pedal is
discontinued, so I should be set until I die. :-) Anybody else have anything
to which they've become so attached?

bar-cons. i cannot imagine shifting any other way. i have them on my
touring bike and my road bike, and i love love love them.
Old July 1st 04, 05:18 AM
Frank Krygowski

Gooserider wrote:

I have a pair of Look MTB pedals I've used for 10 or more years, and have
used with four bikes. They're old, scratched and beaten to hell, but I love
them and I'll use them forever. They don't match my new bike at all, but
they're my favorites. I have 6 pair of cleats, since the pedal is
discontinued, so I should be set until I die. :-) Anybody else have anything
to which they've become so attached?

SunTour New Winner freewheels and their cogs. I've got them on four
bikes, at least. Someone gave (!) me a well-stocked sprocket board
once, and I keep replacing cogs as they wear. I dread the day when I
can't find my favorite cog sizes.

Yeah, they're only good for friction shifting. Small price to pay. ;-)

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old July 1st 04, 07:46 AM
S o r n i

Granny!

Bill "God bless 'er" S.

Old July 1st 04, 04:02 PM
John Everett

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 01:03:49 GMT, "Gooserider"
wrote:

I have a pair of Look MTB pedals I've used for 10 or more years, and have
used with four bikes. They're old, scratched and beaten to hell, but I love
them and I'll use them forever. They don't match my new bike at all, but
they're my favorites. I have 6 pair of cleats, since the pedal is
discontinued, so I should be set until I die. :-) Anybody else have anything
to which they've become so attached?

I was just talking to someone about this the other day. I have a
fifteen (or so) year old Cannondale seat pack that I'm loathe to give
up on. It's one of the models that had a plastic two-pronged fitting
on top that twisted and snapped into the saddle rails, and a velcro
strap around the seatpost. Its shape is maintained by a black sheet
plastic insert that has broken a number of times over the years. The
weak point is the three holes drilled in it to accommodate the saddle
rail fitting. That part was long ago repaired and reinforced with a
thin sheet of aluminum and epoxy.

At some point the stitching around the zipper started to give up. I
repaired it with some heavy duty, tan colored upholstery thread. My
sewing skills are so bad I camouflaged the job by coloring it with a
black marking pen. ;-)

A couple of years ago an employee at my LBS told me about a bike shop
in Texas somewhere that still had these in stock. I like the pack so
much I was tempted to call and see if they would mail order a couple
to me. Alas, I've since lost the phone number and the guy who told me
about it is long gone. :-(

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old July 1st 04, 11:21 PM
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 15:02:50 GMT, John Everett
wrote:
At some point the stitching around the zipper started to give up. I
repaired it with some heavy duty, tan colored upholstery thread. My

Why is tan thread always the thread that happens to be around when
us non-sewers (eww...that sounds wrong) attempt a repair on non-tan
(especially black) items?

I have at least two black items repaired (badly) with tan thread.

sewing skills are so bad I camouflaged the job by coloring it with a
black marking pen. ;-)

My dad spilled bleach near the crotch of his blue jeans. He
attempted to color it in with a blue marker, but the shade is
entirely wrong, so now it looks like he's had some terrible
industrial accident in a venereal disease testing lab...
--
Rick Onanian
Old July 2nd 04, 02:26 AM
LioNiNoiL_a t_N e t s c a p E_D 0 T_N e T

I have a pair of Look MTB pedals I've used for
10 or more years, and have used with four bikes.

Most of my cycling gear is that old [or older], not because of any
attachment, but because I am way too cheap to replace gear that still works.

--
Robots don't kill people -- people kill people.
http://www.irobotmovie.com/

Old July 2nd 04, 02:50 AM
S o r n i

Rick Onanian wrote:

My dad spilled bleach near the crotch of his blue jeans. He
attempted to color it in with a blue marker, but the shade is
entirely wrong, so now it looks like he's had some terrible
industrial accident in a venereal disease testing lab...

OK, Rick, take a crowbar to that family trait of yours and BUY YOUR DAD SOME
NEW DUDS!!!

Bill "unless he's housebound or something" S.

Old July 2nd 04, 11:52 AM
Steve-o

wrote:

Anybody else have anything to which they've become so attached?

Top-mount thumb shifters. I have three sets installed on bikes and
two spare sets in the parts bin, which I probably won't need because
I've never had one break.

Old July 2nd 04, 10:18 PM
Booker C. Bense