Paris-Nice stage 1 relocated.....???

Old March 10th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Paris-Nice stage 1 relocated.....???

Paris-Nice stage 1 relocated.....???

(http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008...index.php?id=/
photos/2008/mar08/parisnice08/ )

I did not see the Paris-Nice start video, but since when is wind and
rain a reason relocate a start of the race. Unless we are talking
about hurricane and or 100mph winds it makes no sense.
Old March 10th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Mar 10, 10:35*pm, " wrote:
Paris-Nice stage 1 relocated.....???

(http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008...index.php?id=/
photos/2008/mar08/parisnice08/ )

I did not see the Paris-Nice start video, but since when is wind and
rain a reason relocate a start of the race. Unless we are talking
about hurricane and or 100mph winds it makes no sense.

The race was 94km or so, I don't recall exactly. It was super windy
and ****ing rain most of the time. The field got broken up into
several groups with lots of guys finishing 6+ minutes down. That's a
lot on a super short flat stage. If it had been the full length it
would have been a disaster. I would have liked to have seen that!

Joseph
Old March 10th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

wrote in message
On Mar 10, 10:35 pm, " wrote:
Paris-Nice stage 1 relocated.....???

(http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008...index.php?id=/
photos/2008/mar08/parisnice08/ )

I did not see the Paris-Nice start video, but since when is wind and
rain a reason relocate a start of the race. Unless we are talking
about hurricane and or 100mph winds it makes no sense.

The race was 94km or so, I don't recall exactly. It was super windy
and ****ing rain most of the time. The field got broken up into
several groups with lots of guys finishing 6+ minutes down. That's a
lot on a super short flat stage. If it had been the full length it
would have been a disaster. I would have liked to have seen that!
--------------------

Given the crosswinds, it's not that much. The stage was essentially mainly
flat, so echelons must have been the order of the day. Conditions like that
are optimal for exposing less powerful riders, thus these guys probably
worked harder on this stage than they imagined they possibly could.
Considering that shattering the field with an all out effort is what days
like today are designed for, the average speed isn't that fast, but shows
how hard the crosswinds must have been. This stage must have exploded from
the start as everybody fought to make the front echelon.

Old March 11th 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fabrizio Mazzoleni[_2_]

On Mar 10, 2:35*pm, " wrote:
Paris-Nice stage 1 relocated.....???

(http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008...index.php?id=/
photos/2008/mar08/parisnice08/ )

I did not see the Paris-Nice start video, but since when is wind and
rain a reason relocate a start of the race. Unless we are talking
about hurricane and or 100mph winds it makes no sense.

Didn't they stop the race at the 7hour mark on stage 4 at this year's
Tour of California?
Old March 11th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
bar

On Mar 10, 8:29*pm, Fabrizio Mazzoleni
wrote:
On Mar 10, 2:35*pm, " wrote:

Paris-Nice stage 1 relocated.....???

(http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008...index.php?id=/
photos/2008/mar08/parisnice08/ )

I did not see the Paris-Nice start video, but since when is wind and
rain a reason relocate a start of the race. Unless we are talking
about hurricane and or 100mph winds it makes no sense.

Didn't they stop the race at the 7hour mark on stage 4 at this year's
Tour of California?

No. They rode in the wind and the slop and Rollin kicked ass while the
rest of those pro pansies quivered in their chamois (yes, including
Hincapie).
Old March 11th 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Mar 10, 4:29*pm, Fabrizio Mazzoleni
wrote:
Didn't they stop the race at the 7hour mark on stage 4 at this year's
Tour of California?

2008 Stage 4 Results:
ROLLIN Dominique TUP 06.56'08
BOONEN Tom QST 07.02'40

7 hours? That's just the point where you and others lost interest,
wonder why...
ABS

Old March 11th 08, 07:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Mar 10, 11:58*pm, "Carl Sundquist" wrote:
wrote in message

On Mar 10, 10:35 pm, " wrote:

[...]

I meant in terms of historical GC gaps on early stages. Usually the
big powerful guys like Hushovd and Steegmans get a few seconds lead
from bonuses in GC for the first few days, then get clobbered in the
hills. With days like yesterday, if it had been full length, they
could have taken so much out of the little guys they could have been
holding onto the GC for a long time.

There was a 3 man break that got to do what it wanted until about 40km
to go. That's when the peloton started to ride and things broke up big
time. This pic shows what it looked like once the hammer went down:

http://tinyurl.com/2us7um

Not much hope for those caught out in the middle!

Joseph
Old March 11th 08, 09:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Martin

in 565895 20080310 213500 " wrote:
Paris-Nice stage 1 relocated.....???

(http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008...index.php?id=/
photos/2008/mar08/parisnice08/ )

I did not see the Paris-Nice start video, but since when is wind and
rain a reason relocate a start of the race. Unless we are talking
about hurricane and or 100mph winds it makes no sense.

There was extremely severe weather yesterday in Southern England and the
northern half of France.

Today's forecast is for more of the same.
http://www.meteofrance.com/FR/mamete...ID=&GRPID=vent
Old March 11th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,

wrote in message

On Mar 10, 10:35 pm, " wrote:

[...]

That's a great photo!

Old March 11th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article
,

wrote in message

On Mar 10, 10:35 pm, " wrote:

[...]

Are you saying the race organizers deliberately
organized against the big guys? Is this turning
into NASCAR?

--
Michael Press

stage 1 paris-nice Dan Gregory Racing 1 March 10th 08 12:19 PM
Paris-Nice stage 5 Robert Chung Racing 24 March 19th 07 07:39 PM
Paris-Nice stage 6 summary Bob Martin Racing 0 March 11th 06 06:29 PM
Paris-Nice stage 5 summary Bob Martin Racing 0 March 10th 06 07:40 PM
Paris-Nice stage 2 bad weather Ewoud Dronkert Racing 9 March 9th 05 07:10 AM